New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 2 2013, 10:41 AM   #106
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Better if they had allowed main cast to die?

Considering the upgrades they made by Way of the Warrior, quickly and quietly beneath everyone's notice, it's plain to see that absofrackinglutely no Battle damage would last out the week.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:01 PM   #107
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Considering the upgrades they made by Way of the Warrior, quickly and quietly beneath everyone's notice, it's plain to see that absofrackinglutely no Battle damage would last out the week.
So DS9 gets a pass on the "Repairs between episode/seasons" thing VOY was denied.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:10 PM   #108
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well, are you talking about actual damage, or the need for a new paint job?

Painting can be done with transporters and playing with the gravity fields of the station.

Meanwhile they pillaged empok Nor for parts.

DS9 is Ooooooooooooooooooold.

Voyager is fresh off the production line.

New stuff attracts dings and never works right.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 07:41 PM   #109
Anwar
Vice Admiral

New stuff attracts dings and never works right.
Is that why the Defiant always looked factory fresh and never had any battle scars?
Old July 2 2013, 07:43 PM   #110
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Stoo wrote: View Post

I actually quite like that idea, now you mention it. Maybe have one of those pylons broken off.
In To the Death, the Jem'Hadar attacked the station and that was the damage, one of the pylons was blown off.

Naturally in the next episode the station was just fine. Which was especially lame being To the Death was on SD 49904.2, and the next ep was 49930.3. So 25 stardate units.. dividing a year by 1000 it's basically a day every 2.75 units roughly so they were able to fix that in little over a week.
Old July 2 2013, 08:34 PM   #111
MacLeod
Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
So DS9 gets a pass on the "Repairs between episode/seasons" thing VOY was denied.
Remind me again DSN was located on the edge of Federation space, was a key starbase in the region..

It is somewhat easier to rationalise repairs to DSN, the Ent-D as they had access to the resources of the Federation. VOY didn't have that, They couldn't exactly put in at a Federation shipard.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 01:51 AM   #112
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They did have access to Commerce Hubs and Alien Repair Stations in the Delta Quadrant though.

It's not like they were all alone out there, which is the only way NuBSG got their plot to work.

You can rationalize DS9 staying so good so long, but that means VOY can be rationalized too.
Old July 3 2013, 01:54 AM   #113
Sran
Fleet Captain

They did have access to Commerce Hubs and Alien Repair Stations in the Delta Quadrant though.

It's not like they were all alone out there, which is the only way NuBSG got their plot to work.
Repair stations, yes. But there's no way to know how knowledgeable any one of these stations would be in repairing Federation technology or whether they would have suitable replacement parts lying around for Voyager to use. There's a reason why Starfleet ships put in at Federation outposts whenever they need to be serviced. It's not like taking your car to AutoZone and getting new break pads.

--Sran
Old July 3 2013, 02:26 AM   #114
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post

Repair stations, yes. But there's no way to know how knowledgeable any one of these stations would be in repairing Federation technology or whether they would have suitable replacement parts lying around for Voyager to use. There's a reason why Starfleet ships put in at Federation outposts whenever they need to be serviced. It's not like taking your car to AutoZone and getting new break pads.

--Sran
If Gamma Quadrant aliens have tech similar enough for trading and repairs for Federation tech I don't see why the Delta Quadrant would be so different.
Old July 3 2013, 02:28 AM   #115
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Really seems to me like taking a Russian Lada(type of car) and pulling into a Ford dealership in the US and expecting them to be able to fix it.
Old July 3 2013, 02:40 AM   #116
Sran
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Really seems to me like taking a Russian Lada(type of car) and pulling into a Ford dealership in the US and expecting them to be able to fix it.
Prescisely correct.

If Gamma Quadrant aliens have tech similar enough for trading and repairs for Federation tech I don't see why the Delta Quadrant would be so different.
You're presuming that people native to the Gamma and Delta Quadrants are alike. In reality, they're no more alike than the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans are alike.

--Sran
Old July 3 2013, 02:53 AM   #117
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Not the best analogy, because TOS showed us that the Feds could steal and integrate a Romulan cloaking device they had no knowledge of into their own ship with no problem.
Old July 3 2013, 03:06 AM   #118
Sran
Fleet Captain

Not the best analogy, because TOS showed us that the Feds could steal and integrate a Romulan cloaking device they had no knowledge of into their own ship with no problem.
Or fly a Klingon BOP into the past with the slingshot maneuver. Yet when a Romulan cloaking device is installed on the Defiant, a Romulan officer is dispatched to operate the device (and to guard it). T'Rul is never seen again after "The Search," but the two events by themselves would seem to contradict each other. Why would Kirk's crew be any more capable than Sisko's where Romulan technology is concerned? If anything, I'd expect the opposite.

--Sran
Old July 3 2013, 03:31 AM   #119
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Which goes back to the original point I made: If everything else in Trek says that it's easy to use alien tech and vice-versa then what's stopping the VOY crew from using Delta tech or Delta Aliens fixing the ship for them?
Old July 3 2013, 03:45 AM   #120
Sran
Fleet Captain

Which goes back to the original point I made: If everything else in Trek says that it's easy to use alien tech and vice-versa then what's stopping the VOY crew from using Delta tech or Delta Aliens fixing the ship for them?
Because the civilizations encountered by Voyager's crew aren't like any seen in TOS, TNG, or even DS9. The Delta Quadrant was the least explored area of the galaxy at the time of Voyager's disappearance. Why would any of the people living there have technology comparable to what's used on Voyager?

--Sran