RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 822
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 2 2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Re: The Lone Ranger

Everything I've seen about this movie looks terrible. I'm surprised to hear that reviewer describe the action sequence with the train as such a great, polished set-piece, because it looked regoddamndiculous in the trailers. Maybe that and the quirkiness might make it somewhat redeemable, but this is probably a wait for video for me.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 09:27 PM   #17
davejames
Vice Admiral

I would have loved to have seen a proper, big budget Lone Ranger movie, but the way the critics describe it makes it sound WAY too much like the Pirates sequels for my taste-- bloated, way too long, unnecessarily convoluted with too many boring subplots and side characters, and cartoonish, over the top action you don't believe a second of.

And the way they turned the Lone Ranger himself into a bumbling idiot just makes me want to punch someone.

Granted, the critics weren't too kind to MOS either, which I loved. But at least that movie wasn't made by the team behind the Pirates sequels.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I have Zero interest in a Lone Ranger parody, and I'm surprised they are still investing Big Budgets into these parodies of old TV shows.
I think the studio was banking the the popularity of Johnny Depp with younger audiences and the Pirates was so successful which was also a parody and a re-hash.

Disney's mistake IMO was western's not equal to pirates.
I don't know that I would I put Pirates of the Carribean in the same class though. It was it's own thing, wasn't it? These Old TV shows Parodies I am referring to, most of them were dramas, and for some reason, they believed a parody of those Drama TV shows would bring in a large nostalgia crowd (Unless there was an old Pirates of the Carribean TV Show that was a drama being parodied)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 10:43 PM   #19
Gojira
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
I would have loved to have seen a proper, big budget Lone Ranger movie, but the way the critics describe it makes it sound WAY too much like the Pirates sequels for my taste-- bloated, way too long, unnecessarily convoluted with too many boring subplots and side characters, and cartoonish, over the top action you don't believe a second of.

And the way they turned the Lone Ranger himself into a bumbling idiot just makes me want to punch someone.

Granted, the critics weren't too kind to MOS either, which I loved. But at least that movie wasn't made by the team behind the Pirates sequels.
I agree with everything you have said! I was looking forward to a good big budget Lone Ranger movie and what bothers me the most that they turned the Lone Ranger, the main character into a buffoon!!
Old July 2 2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Does Tonto even say "Kemo Sabe" once during this thing?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:34 AM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Yeah I heard some clips on the radio where he uses the term. Although apparently they changed the meaning from "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" to.... "wrong brother." Because now it's supposed to be a derogatory thing I guess.

And apparently Tonto also makes fun of the "Hi-yo Silver" line as well, which is just... ugh.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Everything I've read about this seems to indicate it's not so much a Western, but a Hollywood action movie that so happens to be set in the old west.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 12:50 AM   #23
Aldo
Admiral

Everything about it does make it sound bad, but with Helena Bonham Carter in it, it might just make it a must see.
Old July 3 2013, 02:22 AM   #24
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Mask Of Zorro is pretty much the last decent one and that was ages ago.
Since then, we've had Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma, and True Grit, not to mention such modern westerns (in spirit if not necessarily setting) as No Country for Old Men, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Premium Rush. Cowboys and Aliens, OTOH... yeah, that was awful.

Anyhow, funny you should mention Mask. Stephen Greydanus writes:
The main plot of The Lone Ranger steals from the original Mask of Zorro: White men plot to exploit and murder natives in order to steal the wealth of their land (silver rather than gold). There’s another corrupt General Custer cavalry type (Barry Pepper). Oh, and the patrician villain carries a torch for the hero’s woman (though in this case our hero himself is also carrying a torch for her, because she’s actually his brother’s woman).

Needless to say, the comparison only accents The Lone Ranger’s glaring deficiencies. The Mask of Zorro took nobility, honor and heroism as seriously as villainy: Anthony Hopkins’s Don Diego was a skilled, classy and cunning warrior, and Antonio Banderas played a scruffy rogue undergoing a grueling tutelage to become worthy of the mask of Zorro.

The Lone Ranger laughs at all this. John’s moral scruples make him ridiculous and naive, not admirable. His defining trait is not his morality, but his cluelessness.
Sounds almost Wild Wild West bad... and 43 minutes longer!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:23 AM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Yeah I heard some clips on the radio where he uses the term. Although apparently they changed the meaning from "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" to.... "wrong brother." Because now it's supposed to be a derogatory thing I guess.
Kind of like that Far Side cartoon where an elderly Lone Ranger is looking through a dictionary:

"'Kemo Sabe'...Apache expression for a horse's rear end...what the hell?!?"

And isn't it Hi-HO silver?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 03:02 AM   #26
nightwind1
Commodore

Kind of like that Far Side cartoon where an elderly Lone Ranger is looking through a dictionary:

"'Kemo Sabe'...Apache expression for a horse's rear end...what the hell?!?"

And isn't it Hi-HO silver?
No, it's Hi-yo, Silver. Always has been.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:25 AM   #27
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I enjoy the radio programs on XM. Won't be going to see this flick.

Why can't they just, y'know, make a Lone Ranger movie? Why does it have to be so mucked up? Why all the backstory? Can't we just have a hero? This makes me think of angsty-punk Kirk-with-backstory in JJtrek 09. Or Depp's all-psychy-angsty-father-issues Willy Wonka.
Old July 3 2013, 04:37 AM   #28
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Erm..........The Lone Ranger is SciFi? Did they change the concept so much that we're talking about it in the SciFi forum?
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 04:54 AM   #29
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Erm..........The Lone Ranger is SciFi? Did they change the concept so much that we're talking about it in the SciFi forum?
I was wondering about that myself.
I'm definitely not bothering with this movie. Nothing in the previews or commercials looks very compelling.
Old July 3 2013, 06:18 AM   #30
Gojira
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
The Lone Ranger is considered a Superhero and this is where those movies are discussed. In the mythos of the Lone Ranger he is the great-uncle of the Green Hornet another masked crime fighting superhero with a side-kick.

If the mods don't think this belongs in this section I am sure they will either move it or close it down.