Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 2 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Why didn't they just keep their characters?

Besides the legal issues, there's the fact that a character created as a one-shot may not have been designed the same way you would have if you'd known he was going to be a regular. So, yeah, they may have have wanted the actor to play a character like Locarno, but they also wanted a free hand to reinvent the character for long-term use.

Kinda like the way the Trill makeup changed between that one-shot TNG episode and DS9. Again, what worked for one episode wasn't deemed attractive or sexy enough for Jadzia so they didn't feel obliged to stick with the old makeup design.
Old July 2 2013, 02:40 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Although, when it came to Tom Paris and Nick Locarno, even the writers of Voyager occasionally mixed them up and there were a few instances where Tom talks about his past as though he were Locarno.

Not to mention Admiral Paris for some reason has a picture of Locarno in his office.
Old July 2 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Dream
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
They didn't want Nick Locarno in "The First Duty" because using him as a main character on VOY would mean Paramount would have to pay "The First Duty" writers every time they used the Locarno character. They didn't want to do that so they created Tom Paris for Robert Duncan to play.
Wouldn't any character they wrote for the series be property of Paramount at the time ? Isn't that standard practice, that the stuff you write for the series isn't yours, like programs you code for a company aren't yours ?
Read the rest of the topic.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:37 PM   #19
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Why didn't they keep Marc Alaimo's character Gul Macet, in TNG's "The Wounded" instead of creating DS9's Gul Dukat ...
Like others have said about Locarno/Paris, I also think having Dukat be Macet doesn't work. The character on DS9 was the person who ran the occupation of Bajor. This likely wouldn't be the same person Cardassia would send to deal with the situation in "The Wounded."
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=The Wormhole;8325595]
maneth wrote: View Post
Armin Shimerman in fact played two different Ferengi before becoming Quark. In addition to Letek, he was also Bractor in TNG's Peak Performance.
And he played a box.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Although, when it came to Tom Paris and Nick Locarno, even the writers of Voyager occasionally mixed them up and there were a few instances where Tom talks about his past as though he were Locarno.
So does B'elanna, who at one point mentions he was expelled from the Academy.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:58 PM   #21
TheSubCommander
Captain

Spock had to do a double-take when he first saw the Romulan Commander in BOT. He looks a lot like his dad!

Sisko must have been shocked when he noticed his dad looked like a certain traitorous Admiral from TUC.

I wonder what would have happened if Liquidator Brunt met Weyoun?!
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Pavonis
Commodore

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Why didn't they keep Marc Alaimo's character Gul Macet, in TNG's "The Wounded" instead of creating DS9's Gul Dukat or keep Robert Duncan McNeill's character Nick Locarno in "The First Duty" instead of creating Tom Paris? They were basically playing the same characters, why the switch?

Any other similar actor as same character roles?
If I recall correctly, a different actor was cast as "Gul Dukat" originally, but the producers didn't think the character was working out the way they wanted. I guess they decided to go back to Marc Alaimo, who originated the Cardassians with his appearance as Gul Macet. Alaimo managed to give both Macet and Dukat some charm with hidden menace, which I imagine is what they wanted from Sisko's sparring partner.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:05 PM   #23
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Not to mention Admiral Paris for some reason has a picture of Locarno in his office.
I read somewhere that the writers originally wanted RDM to play Locarno again in VOY, but at the last minute decided that Locarno was too irredeemable to use. Not wanting to recast the role, they simply renamed the character and white-washed his background so that RDM could play him the same way.
Old July 2 2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Read the rest of the topic.
That's not very nice.

I did, by the way. Doesn't answer my question.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:11 PM   #25
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The rules about using characters like this was something like this:

- If the character appeared once and only once, then it's the intellectual property of the writer and thus Royalties must be paid for further usage.

- If said character/idea/concept was used more than once in the series it originated in, it's now the property of the series and not the individual writer.

If Locarno had appeared more than once in TNG, he's be the property of the series and thus no Royalties would be paid.

It's the same reason we rarely if ever saw the Tholians or Gorn or various TOS one-shot aliens again. We did see them in that ENT episode, but that was because they were willing to pay for short-term use.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
They didn't want Nick Locarno in "The First Duty" because using him as a main character on VOY would mean Paramount would have to pay "The First Duty" writers every time they used the Locarno character. They didn't want to do that so they created Tom Paris for Robert Duncan to play.
Wouldn't any character they wrote for the series be property of Paramount at the time ? Isn't that standard practice, that the stuff you write for the series isn't yours, like programs you code for a company aren't yours ?
We'd have to see the particulars of the contract to know for sure. Perhaps we'll be fortunate and some of our resident writers will chime in and help clear the mud.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:15 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post

We'd have to see the particulars of the contract to know for sure. Perhaps we'll be fortunate and some of our resident writers will chime in and help clear the mud.
That could be interesting.

For the record, I understand book publishing. I don't pretend to know how TV contracts work.
Old July 2 2013, 10:51 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Macet and Dukat were retconned as relatives or something, in the novel series, I think
Yep. They're cousins.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:19 AM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

And Rom was actually that Ferengi in Captain's Holiday, and maybe Tuvok was actually that guy from Starship Mine undercover and he somehow transported away before the baryon sweep got him!

I don't think Nick Lacarno was unredeemable. He was reckless and got a teammate killed, and then he covered it up. An act of recklessness followed by an act of fear. How many real people do you know who, if they really screwed up, would come forward and admit it? If he served his time in prison, then he learned from his mistake and worked earnestly to make up for it, he could absolutely be redeemed.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:23 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Lacarno was a pilot who caused an accident that killed someone and then covered it up, but took responsibility when he was narced on by Wesley.

Paris was a pilot who caused an accident that killed some people and then covered it up, but later confessed to it.

Two way different characters!