RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,645
Posts: 5,428,135
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 435
Newest member: Damix

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 2 2013, 01:17 AM   #16
throwback
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

I think it was established early on that Spock Prime was repressing strong emotions and passions in "The Naked Time". And, it was repeated throughout the first series that the Vulcans nearly destroyed themselves because their passions were so strong, and it took a leader named Surak who had exceptional strength and character to begin the reforms that would eventually create the Vulcan that we know.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 01:32 AM   #17
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

throwback wrote: View Post
I think it was established early on that Spock Prime was repressing strong emotions and passions in "The Naked Time". And, it was repeated throughout the first series that the Vulcans nearly destroyed themselves because their passions were so strong, and it took a leader named Surak who had exceptional strength and character to begin the reforms that would eventually create the Vulcan that we know.
But even then, the majority of Vulcans we see obviously didn't have perfect emotional control. Why else would they need Kolinahr?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 02:14 AM   #18
nightwind1
Commodore
 
nightwind1's Avatar
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Shikarnov wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness has the unique place in my life of being the only Star Trek film that was so bad that I actually left the theater without finishing. And I'd been happily watching Trek in theaters since 1989's Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Only Alan Dean Foster's novelization made the storyline at all tolerable -- an epic feat for which he deserves much credit.

In short, it would be a gross understatement to say I agree with the reviewer's premise that this latest installment is depressing as all Hell.
Obviously, you saw a different movie than most of the rest of us.
__________________
Remember: No Matter Where You Go, There You Are...88

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:38 AM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Shikarnov wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness has the unique place in my life of being the only Star Trek film that was so bad that I actually left the theater without finishing. And I'd been happily watching Trek in theaters since 1989's Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Only Alan Dean Foster's novelization made the storyline at all tolerable -- an epic feat for which he deserves much credit.

In short, it would be a gross understatement to say I agree with the reviewer's premise that this latest installment is depressing as all Hell.
So, what exactly did you hate about the film that made you allegedly walk out on it? Because you didn't actually mention the reasons. (And please don't ask me to read that reviewer's review for your answers, because I really don't care about what some Internet reviewer I've never even heard of thinks.)
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:20 AM   #20
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Shikarnov wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness has the unique place in my life of being the only Star Trek film that was so bad that I actually left the theater without finishing. And I'd been happily watching Trek in theaters since 1989's Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Only Alan Dean Foster's novelization made the storyline at all tolerable -- an epic feat for which he deserves much credit.

In short, it would be a gross understatement to say I agree with the reviewer's premise that this latest installment is depressing as all Hell.
So, what exactly did you hate about the film that made you allegedly walk out on it? Because you didn't actually mention the reasons. (And please don't ask me to read that reviewer's review for your answers, because I really don't care about what some Internet reviewer I've never even heard of thinks.)
Like I said, the reviewer's just inserting his bias against this version into the review (he hates it because its not Star Trek: The Next Generation, and he's not the only one; another blogger hated the first movie for the same reasons, namely because it wasn't as socialist as the shows set in the 24th century [I wish that I could provide the link, but I don't know where it is.]) People will just have to face the fact that the 24 century epoch may not be coming back at all.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander
 
Cjohnson1701's Avatar
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

I stopped taking him seriously when he dissed Stairway to Heaven...you don't **** around with Led Zeppelin.
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:52 AM   #22
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Anyone who thinks Spock Prime wasn't capable of the same rage under the right circumstances doesn't understand the character as well as he thinks he does.

There's a reason his face represents the Devil.
The difference it was shocking and a bad thing when TOS Spock lost his cool. Now, we're expected to cheer along like grinning idiots whilst he repeatedly pummels some dude in face.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:25 PM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Ln X wrote: View Post
I seem to be the only who thinks Spock beating up Khan is just plain wrong...
Yep.

You not Only. You Grup! Bonk, bonk on da head!

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Now, we're expected to cheer along like grinning idiots whilst he repeatedly pummels some dude in face.
I cheered when Christine Chapel slaps him out of a healing trance in TOS.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The difference it was shocking and a bad thing when TOS Spock lost his cool. Now, we're expected to cheer along like grinning idiots whilst he repeatedly pummels some dude in face.
Well then the narrative went over your head.
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

EDIT: Urgh, forget it.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

All right. As I pointed out in my analysis, Spock represents emotion, and when, after Kirk dies, he loses it, we are shown that this is a loss of control. A loss of control that a little later on, is shown to put a life on the line that could be saved. Indeed, it was in the dialogue.
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:16 PM   #27
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Yes, it's a loss of control but the way it was presented here was like watching Bruce Banner Hulk out; we can't wait until he catches up with the bad guys and gives them what for.

I feel that the first movie handled his outburst far more effectively, displaying genuine consequence, remorse and embarrassment. Having done so again in this movie (as part of its climax no less), a Spock-out has now become a thing that we're to look forward to and expect which I think is mistake.

Last edited by Shazam!; July 2 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

No. Your analysis is incorrect and shows a poor understanding of the events of the latter third of the movie. Spock was the only person that could stop Harrison one on one, they could not transport a large troop down because they were extremely low on power and the confusion from the Vengeance rendered calling on Starfleet unfeasible. But we also have Spock's revenge and his loss of control to deal with. So we have a compromised Spock going against a superman. Khan had to be stopped and Spock was the only person physically able to do it.

As for people cheering, people cheered when Hitler died, when Saddam Husein died, Bin Laden, etc. The general public does not like oppressors or bad people. But this attitude is covered in Kirk's speech, where he said that we must strive for better, and not let our anger get in the way. But of course, you knew this because you watched the same movie I did, so that makes me wonder if you actually payed any attention.
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
No. Your analysis is incorrect and shows a poor understanding of the events of the latter third of the movie. Spock was the only person that could stop Harrison one on one, they could not transport a large troop down because they were extremely low on power and the confusion from the Vengeance rendered calling on Starfleet unfeasible. But we also have Spock's revenge and his loss of control to deal with. So we have a compromised Spock going against a superman. Khan had to be stopped and Spock was the only person physically able to do it.

As for people cheering, people cheered when Hitler died, when Saddam Husein died, Bin Laden, etc. The general public does not like oppressors or bad people. But this attitude is covered in Kirk's speech, where he said that we must strive for better, and not let our anger get in the way. But of course, you knew this because you watched the same movie I did, so that makes me wonder if you actually payed any attention.
What on Earth are you talking about? Did you pay any attention to what I posted? Like, at all?

And then you have the nerve to follow up this irrelevant nonsense with a slight on my comprehension skills?

Last edited by Shazam!; July 2 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:31 PM   #30
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Shazam! wrote: View Post

What on Earth are you talking about? Did you pay any attention to what I posted? Like, at all?

And then you have the nerve to follow up this irrelevant nonsense with a slight on my comprehension skills?
Aye and I gave reasoning as to why Spock acted the way he did, why he beamed down and why he nearly killed Harrison.
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.