Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2013, 05:03 AM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Future of the "Terminator" Franchise (Discussion, Rumors, Spoilers

Saul wrote: View Post
Screw this reboot. Give me the movie where John Connor finally wins the war and sends Kyle Reese back in time.
A movie that only exists to set up another story altogether? What could possibly go wrong?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Saul
Rear Admiral

Cos rebooting it would be da fcuking awseom!!!111 right?
Old June 29 2013, 12:08 PM   #33
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Well a reboot often involves abandoning all established canon and starting again with the basic concept, which is fine by me.
Isn't that what each new Terminator entry does anyway? To wit:

- The first film was an absolutely closed loop.

- Then comes T2, which introduces ways to change the timeline (including several different outcomes).

- T3 and T:Salvation. Ditto. Is the date of Judgment Day consistent across ANY two films?

- Sarah Connor Chronicles, which IIRC exists in a time stream unique to itself and not part of any previous film. I can't remember if it actually is supposed to lead to Judgment Day or not.
No idea, but they ended up back in the future at the end. I'm looking at it as multiple routes to pretty much the same point.

I just don't want a full reboot / recast / remake. There is no need and it would more than likely be awful...
Old June 29 2013, 03:19 PM   #34
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

[QUOTE=Gaith;8310736]
Frontier wrote: View Post
No offense, but we've had generic "future of the Terminator franchise" for years now, with only the barest outlines of hard news to go on. Wake me when a full cast is signed and a production date set, if y'all will.
The ambiguity of things is why I didn't start this thread years ago, back in 2011, when the rights where bought and Arnold said he'd be back.

What's different now is that we're hearing a lot of news and rumors, and even official press releases, production details, release dates, so on and so forth.

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
My interest in this is super low unless they bring Josh Friedman, creator of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, to write it. He gets Terminator, IMO.

Also, please no Arnold. Anything but a cameo places way too many limits on this thing. If Bale gets near this I'm also out. I hated him as John.

Really, all I want is a continuation of the Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Not going to happen, my friend. I think SCC is considered the least successful of the post-Jim Cameron involvement Terminator stuff. At least, financially.

I liked the show too, wish it hasn't ended as it did. But what you and I think doesn't matter w/Hollywood.

It's reboot+sequel rage out there...

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I like the fact they want to make a trilogy, yet only have until 2019 to do so.

So unless they make the first one to see if it makes money, then make the next two movies at the same time for a 2017 and 2018 release we will probably never get a full story they want to tell.
Actually, as long as they're in some stage of production of the 3rd film by 2019, they're fine -- I think. Pretty sure that so long as they "break ground" on the 3rd film by December 31, 2019, they're good to go from there. So it actually gives them another year or two of wiggle-room.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 08:16 PM   #35
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I don't see Arnold as all that important to the franchise any more. Honestly, I'd like to see Garret Dillahunt in the next film.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:24 PM   #36
All-Seeing I
Commander

Think this is the only way to go, if they plan out a consistent trilogy; loved the original first 2 movies, but 3 and 4 were dispensable, really.

Casting suggestion for the Terminator - Ryan Gosling. He plays cold and emotionless really well, and a scene in Gangster Squad when he stalked across a nightclub floor to assassinate a gangland boss, really reminded me of Club Noir scene in The Terminator. A normal-looking guy would be a far better infiltrator not only amongst the starved humans of the Future War, but also in the present day; Gosling is so innocuous-looking that people wouldn't look twice at him, until it's too late...
All-Seeing I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:57 PM   #37
Pilot Ace
Captain

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
I don't see Arnold as all that important to the franchise any more. Honestly, I'd like to see Garret Dillahunt in the next film.
Yes.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:20 PM   #38
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Arnold Schwarzenegger is way too old to be the Terminator. He looks like someone who is 80 trying to be 50. Yeah, they could try and digitally de-age him, but that would just be spending a lot of money on something pretty questionable.

A reboot makes sense at this point, but I'm almost thinking there just isn't any need for any more Terminator movies.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:36 PM   #39
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Future War. I wish Terminator Salvation had been a better film so that we could've gotten two sequels of that, a nice trilogy to cap off the entire franchise.

I'm not going to lie and say I won't be in the theater for Terminator 5 unless they do some atrocious casting or other creative decisions, but that being said, I think they should leave it alone. Going back to the past just seems like a waste to me, especially if its to attack another member of the Connor family. Maybe if a time traveling Terminator had a different mission that would at least make it not so run of the mill.

In any future film it would be great though to get a nod or two to the Sarah Connor show, acknowledging it's part in the overall franchise too.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 07:39 PM   #40
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The franchise is shown to be huge story wise, the TV show was great and even said that it was in a different timeline, so really they can do whatever they want.

I didn't think T4 was all that bad, but should have been planned better.

I rather they tie it into the show than any of the past movies at this point.
Old July 2 2013, 10:03 AM   #41
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

If they rebooted and had Sarah Connor back, I'd really want to see Katee Sackhoff in the role. Cause she's just perfect for that.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 10:15 AM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Arnold Schwarzenegger is way too old to be the Terminator. He looks like someone who is 80 trying to be 50. Yeah, they could try and digitally de-age him, but that would just be spending a lot of money on something pretty questionable.

A reboot makes sense at this point, but I'm almost thinking there just isn't any need for any more Terminator movies.
More like a pretty healthy 65 year old trying to be 50.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 10:18 AM   #43
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is the movie I would make...

War of the Roses with Claire Danes and John Connor in the Bunker trying to kill each other on and off for 5 years, not giving a shit that there are 30 thousand Terminator Mark 2's right outside trying to drill into the Crystal Peak Complex.

Something had to turn Nick Stahl into that dick Christian Bale, and spending 5 years locked in a box, until he kills her, because she starts or finishes every sentence with the phrase "but I'm a Doctor" or "because I'm a Doctor" might just have been it.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 2 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:46 AM   #44
Pingfah
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
When were Terminator movies ever needed?
Old July 2 2013, 02:22 PM   #45
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ask Jim Cameron.