Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 1 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Roger Dean sues over movie Avatar

Roger Dean is the brilliant artist behind dozens of album covers from Yes, Asia, Uriah Heep and more.

Roger believes the movie's look borrowed heavily from his body of artwork (ie: floating islands, stone arches, etc.)

Story

Along with a cash settlement and a public statement admitting he was the creator of imagery used in the film, Dean wants Fox to “cease and desist from any further reproduction, distribution, transmission or other use.”

If judgement is found in his favour, it means the original version of Avatar would have to be scrapped, and any sequels will look massively different from the production seen on release.
With the way lawsuits go sometimes, he might just have a chance of winning this thing.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Roger Dean sues over movie Avatar

You can't copyright an artistic idea. Hence, floating mountains can't be copyrighted. Next...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Jan
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
You can't copyright an artistic idea. Hence, floating mountains can't be copyrighted. Next...
Why not try reading the document first? Parts 49 and 50 are particularly interesting. Apparently people in the production had stated that they were given Dean's work to base Avatar items and markings on.

ETA:
Entertainment Weekly reports that Cameron was asked in 2010 if he got the idea for floating mountains from a Yes album cover, and answered: “It might have been, back in my pot-smoking days.”
One would have thought that Cameron would have learned his lesson by now.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Seems like it's more about the style of the images, rather than the content.

Someone with a lot more legal knowledge than myself would have to help out here. If the style looks too much like Dean's, maybe he has a case?

Funny that he waited 4 years to bring this up, though that guy claimed only a few years ago that he wrote the melody Men At Work used in the flute solo from Down Under. That was like, 25 years.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

He gonna sue these guys too?

http://thebooksmugglers.com/2011/02/...-neumeier.html

I'm not sure what it is, but guys seem to have gone a little sue-happy lately, what with this, and the class-action suit claiming millions in damages for the emotional trauma due to the fact that the Aliens:Colonial Marines footage from two years prior to the game's release was not in the actual game (I guess everyone should sue any studio that includes cut footage in their movie trailers huh?).
Old July 2 2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

It's amazing how many people come out of the woodwork to sue for copyright infringement when a successfully and not terribly original movie comes out

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 02:01 AM   #7
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

So he doesn't want to be an influential artist, but rather "that jerk with the floating islands©".
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:12 AM   #8
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Jonathan Swift is lining up his legal team right now...
Old July 2 2013, 03:19 AM   #9
EnderAKH
Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
It's amazing how many people come out of the woodwork to sue for copyright infringement when a successfully and not terribly original movie comes out
After the millionth suit over Star Wars, George Lucas once said "No one ever sued me over Howard the Duck."

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:50 AM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Jonathan Swift is lining up his legal team right now...
Jon Stewart is going down. Heck, he even stole most of the letters from his name.

Artists influence each other. That's a given. This is just an opportunistic cash grab.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
Apparently people in the production had stated that they were given Dean's work to base Avatar items and markings on.
Even if true, so what? You can't copyright the idea of a floating island, and the Hallelujah Mountains were heavily enough inspired by actual mountains in China as to make any ripping off claim silly and completely baseless in legal terms at best.

Draculasaurus is right. All this guy's doing is making himself look like an asshole to anyone who might consider hiring him in the future.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

I never heard about people suing Lucas for Star Wars! Who did that? Isaac Asimov? The creators of Flash Gordon?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

EnderAKH wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
After the millionth suit over Star Wars, George Lucas once said "No one ever sued me over Howard the Duck."
Why would they sue George? Howard is owned by Marvel Comics. Of course Disney did threaten Marvel with legal action over Howard. Now they're all one big happy "family".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 07:36 AM   #14
I am not Spock
Commodore

I did think that the floating mountains in Avatar looked very similar to my Yes album covers, all the way back in 2009!
Old July 2 2013, 07:48 AM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

Now N ow it is possible he hadn't seen anything to do with the film until now.

But I suspect you can't copyright floating islands as haven't they been used in fiction for decades? As for the look all you need to do is find pictures of a few real islands (Thailand perhaps) that look somewhat similar in style to the ones in Avatar.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote