MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 24 2013, 03:07 PM   #16
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Trublood Season 6 discussion *spoilers*

I do wish they'd listen to the dialogue sometime. If the gene (just one?) skipped Jason, it didn't skip Sookie. Since her fairiness depends on her gene, what's this about losing her powers if she zaps a vamp?

I'm also not sure about not using Rutger Hauer as a villain.

This show is so wacked that fairy boy Ben may be Warlow, whose done enough fairy blood to walk in daylight. And of course, people commonly smell of what they've eaten.
Old June 24 2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Q2UnME
Commodore

stj - Well, since Sookie is a half-ling, they've established that her fairy "light" powers are finite and will run out at some point. Grampa RutgerFairy was showing her how to channel her remaing power into something that could potentially take out Warlow, but in doing so, she would exhaust the last her powers and be Fairy no more..

Another fun outing last night. The scene with "Billith" mentally twisting and braking up and then feeding to completion the "Feeder Donor" was unique but disturbing. "Eric's" meeting with the Govenor was humorous at the same time gave us insights into the new human countermeasures and their agenda.

All in all, I think the directing and, for the most part, the wrting has taken a step up.

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Yes, and that "explanation" worked as well as these things ever do in fantasy. Naturally Sookie got the light and Jason didn't, because sluts like Jason don't deserve the light. Suddenly talking about a gene is even worse than talking about midichlorians. We know a gene doesn't do magic!

They're certainly moving along. They're hitting the vampires=gays, oppressed minorities generally really hard. Unfortunately for the metaphor these vamps still are monsters, so that also means gays, oppressed minorities generally=monsters, too. Ick.
Old June 24 2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Wow. That' really how you're seeing it?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 09:39 AM   #20
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I took the remark about the gene as a snarky joke. Gramps is not too impressed with Jason.

Things are definitely moving along-- which is good, since there are only ten episodes this season. It was surprising to see Alcide kidnap the kid, and I presume this is meant to show a negative change in his character, but the weres are probably right that she is safer with them. It won't be long before the law comes after Sam.

Bill's adventure in Nowhere was interesting. Lilith decided to wear clothes, but apparently her handmaidens go naked and covered in blood.

The most interesting parts of the episode, though, were Eric's. The anti-Vamp squad now has silver bullets that emit UV radiation and glamour-suppressing contact lenses. Nifty. I wonder what else they've come up with.

And that girl was putting in contact lenses just before Eric arrived.
Old June 25 2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And that girl was putting in contact lenses just before Eric arrived.
I thought she was taking them out as she was getting ready for bed. I don't know; I was only half paying attention. I just hope they do something with Lafayette, and I do like the fact that Sam's storyline seems to be going in a better direction than last season. That's good.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post

It was surprising to see Alcide kidnap the kid, and I presume this is meant to show a negative change in his character, but the weres are probably right that she is safer with them. It won't be long before the law comes after Sam.
Hopefully this is just due to the residual V left in his system and he gets his level head back soon.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:24 PM   #23
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post

They're certainly moving along. They're hitting the vampires=gays, oppressed minorities generally really hard. Unfortunately for the metaphor these vamps still are monsters, so that also means gays, oppressed minorities generally=monsters, too. Ick.
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Wow. That' really how you're seeing it?
stj has a point (one that was expanded on in this article), it's a very flawed metaphor. In the real world, people's rationalization of their objection to homosexuality is due to what they see as "moral" reasons which I think we can all agree are BS. But in the True Blood world people object to vampires because they think vampires are murderers. And, they're right, in the True Blood world vampires are murderers.

It boils down to: it's ridiculous to lump gay people all into one category based on their sexuality. But it seems pretty rational to lump all TB vampires together since, from what we've seen on the show, they really are all murderers.

I can't think of one vampire in the show (except for possibly Stephen Root's character from several seasons back...but it's been a while) who hasn't killed somebody just because they wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show and enjoy the use of the metaphor, I just think it falls apart when you put some thought into it.

Also, it bears repeating that the werewolf characters are annoying and pointless and I wish they would all leave the show.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 05:33 PM   #24
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Just because they use a metaphor on a show or movie to make a point doesn't mean you have to carry it to its furthest possible extent or apply the metaphor to every aspect of that show or movie even when it doesn't follow. The X-Men were used as a metaphor for homosexuality as well, but that doesn't mean they're implying that there's also a Brotherhood of Evil Gays out there trying to destroy straight people.

RJ, S/U Fan is right, the governor's daughter was removing the contacts before going to bed, that's why Eric's glamoring worked on her.

I hope they don't screw up Alcide's character. He's not particular compelling (and everything about the werewolves is tedious as hell), but it was nice having a secondary character with principles and morals you could admire. Now if they're going to turn him into a power mad asshole out of nowhere for the sake of DRAMA!, that's going to get irritating.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
RJDiogenes

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I thought she was taking them out as she was getting ready for bed. I don't know; I was only half paying attention.
Good point. I assumed they were setting up Eric for another capture.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Hopefully this is just due to the residual V left in his system and he gets his level head back soon.
Indeed. I don't want them to mess up Alcide.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
RJ, S/U Fan is right, the governor's daughter was removing the contacts before going to bed, that's why Eric's glamoring worked on her.
Ah, I didn't realize that he had successfully glamoured her. I saw one little scene go by while Jessica was praying, but I wasn't sure what was happening.
Old June 29 2013, 10:00 AM   #26
RJDiogenes

I rewatched the scene and she was definitely taking the contacts out. I still don't know what the hell was going on in the montage, though.
Old July 1 2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Q2UnME
Commodore

Well, last nights episode didn't seem to hit on all cylinders. Very uneven. Has some really good character moments followed by other characters acting very, uhm, er, very uncharacteristic. WTF are the doing with the werewolf story line?

Well, Jessica in the "naughty school girl" outfit was a plus...

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 07:17 PM   #28
Ryan8bit
Commodore

And she seduced Buck Bokai!
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 11:08 PM   #29
RJDiogenes

Good Grief, Steve is back.

Well, I certainly got a kick out of Bill's triumphant greeting of the morning sun. Oops. Not too triumphant. Guess he's not all powerful quite yet.

Looks like Sam's storyline will involve the last surviving member of the activists. But if he can turn into anything, why doesn't he turn into a gorilla or an elephant or something that can do some real damage; he always turns into owls or flies.

And the governor's daughter is a vampire sympathizer. That explains the look on her face when he came to her window-- I thought she was faking him out, but she just didn't need to be glammed.
Old July 1 2013, 11:11 PM   #30
ITL
Vice Admiral

I saw a post on another site that asked why doesn't Sam get down to an aquarium, imprint some stuff and turn into a whale right in the middle of the werewolf pack. I would love to see that. SPLAT!