Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 1 2013, 05:14 PM   #31
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Satisfying Cancelled Show Endings

Rome had a nice send off as well.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:26 PM   #32
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Green Lantern: TAS had a nice ending
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I thought Carnivàle had a very satisfying ending despite it's open-ended conclusion, which was a natural result of the first two season intended be the first of three chapters. Sure, we don't get answers like "Did Jonesy survive?" or "How will Brother Justin and Ben recover and face-off again?" but what otherwise, the show had a clear beginning, middle, and end in the first two seasons, which is probably why HBO was fine with cancelling it. Daniel Knauf has since mentioned in interviews (including one this year at A.V. Club) about the different character fates and how the show would have progressed in general.

Likewise, I think Deadwood had a natural conclusion after three seasons despite leaving things hanging with George Hearst. Besides, we wouldn't have been able to see Hearst get his proper comeuppance consider he lived for many more years and served as a U.S. senator.

Lastly, I think Rome had a solid conclusion after just two seasons, although the show did get some forewarning, hence the fast-tracked timeline in the second half of the season.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:50 PM   #34
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I thought when they cancelled Stargate SG1 after season 7, it was totally satisfying. Lost City was the perfect finale.

(Whisper)

What?

(Whisper)

Three more seasons? But how did they go on without Richard Dean Anderson?

(Whisper)

But if they beat both the Gu'ald and the Replicators in season 8, how did they go on after that?

(Whisper)

Oh dear LORD!

Honestly, I liked RDA a lot in Stargate, but I also liked Ben Bowder as Colonel Mitchell and really liked Claudia Black as Vala in the later seasons of Stargate.

As for the topic of this thread, I just finished watching Dollhouse, and I think it ended well. I would have loved more seasons, but they were able to tie it up nicely. Firefly getting a movie was a nice ending, but it still had so much it could have done that, while I really like serenity, I can't say the series ended well, just because I think it could have gone on to even more greatness than the show already reached. That doesn't take away from Serenity (it was awesome) but I just can't say a show that ended unfairly early, and with a lot of stuff left to do, ended well. The actualy ending was great, but as a franchise it deserved better.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 07:17 PM   #35
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Would have to say Being Erica. Only 4 seasons, but the final episode wrapped things up nicely and satisfyingly and came around full-circle to how the show began.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 10:02 PM   #36
JD
Admiral

I was pretty happy with these endings:
Eureka
Merlin
DS9 (although it did continue in novels)
Voyager (continued in novels)
Dollhouse (it continued in comics)
Buffy (continued in comics)
Angel (continued in comics)
Farscape: PK Wars (continued in comics)
Smallville (continued in comics)
I think Sanctuary ended in a way that was pretty good, but I would gladly watch or read a continuation of the story
Babylon 5
The 4400 (continued in novels)
Old July 1 2013, 10:16 PM   #37
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Eureka
Merlin
Buffy (continued in comics)
Angel (continued in comics)
Farscape: PK Wars (continued in comics)
I think Sanctuary ended in a way that was pretty good, but I would gladly watch or read a continuation of the story
Babylon 5
The 4400 (continued in novels)
DS9 and Babylon 5 and Voyager didn't get cancelled early. B5 was always planned as a 5 year story arc, and in fact, TNT wanted another season, and the actors were also interested in another season.

VOY and DS9, I don't think there was ever plans to go beyond the 7 years that TNG lasted for, was there?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 10:29 PM   #38
JD
Admiral

Oh, I forgot that this was shows that ended early, I was just thinking of good endings.
Old July 1 2013, 10:39 PM   #39
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Oh, I forgot that this was shows that ended early, I was just thinking of good endings.
NP, I just wanted to make it clear why I didn't champion my two favorite TV shows of all time, myself (Babylon 5 and DS9)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 10:55 PM   #40
stj
Rear Admiral

E-DUB wrote: View Post
4400. They could have gone on, but I was cool with where it ended. The genie was out of the bottle.
The genie was not out of the bottle. The discovery of ubiquinone means that the government now has a way to prevent the spread of promicin, while permitting the creation of promicin-powered soldiers safely. The stakes were ratcheted up, yes, but the conclusion left completely in air. Also, we still had no information whatsoever on whether Jordan was right, or about how the timeline could be altered.

Now and Again had a definitive and logically satisfying conclusion, which is that the hero and his family were all captured and killed offscreen, by the Dennis Haysbert character, who was carefully portrayed as murderous.

Alphas also had a finale which can clearly be read as conclusively finished by the deaths of the majority of the cast. As I recall, only autistic Gary survived. Naturally, he would be returned to prison without Rosen's custody. This too is logically satisfying. It is survival of the characters that would be a stretch.

PS As noted above, Sanctuary had a very well-done open ending. Wish it had gone on.

Last edited by stj; July 1 2013 at 11:10 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:32 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Merlin
I found that ending rather unsatisfying. I felt they took too long to get around to Arthur finally learning the truth about Merlin, and once he did, too little was done with it. And I feel they dropped the ball on the overarching mission of the series. For years, Merlin's toleration of Camelot's persecution of magic-users was supposedly justified by the knowledge that Arthur would one day undo that injustice and create a society where all people, including sorcerors, were treated fairly and equally. Merlin's whole quest throughout the series has been to bring about that goal. But we got no resolution for that. There were hints that the laws against magic might be repealed later on, but it was nothing more than a cursory suggestion, a totally inadequate resolution for such a central thread of the series. I really found the finale to be a failure on many levels.

I wasn't too satisfied with either of these. DS9 dragged the war out far too long, forgetting that the story of DS9 wasn't only the story of the Dominion War. I would've liked them to wrap up the war at the end of the sixth season and spend the final year telling the story of its consequences and aftermath -- although at least the novels got the chance to explore that. But DS9 in a way had the same problem as Merlin. The mission defined for Sisko at the start of the series was to bring Bajor into the Federation, and we never saw the resolution of that thread. Or rather, we almost saw it, but it was deferred and then never revisited.

As for VGR, it dropped the ball on the denouement even more drastically. At least DS9's finale spent time (too much time, I felt) giving the characters sendoffs, but VGR's finale just ended with "Look, we're home, fade out" with no exploration whatsoever of the impact that the characters' return had on them or on the Federation.

Well, not really. The "Epitaphs" comic fills in the periods before "Epitaph One" and between that and "Epitaph Two." So the story hasn't been continued beyond the finale. And it got a pretty decisive conclusion.

Another finale I found underwhelming. The thread in the preceding season was about Clark coming out in the open as a hero, showing his face to the world, winning their trust. I thought they were building to a climax where he'd appear before the people as Superman and make a grand speech inspiring them to overcome Darkseid's malevolent influence, thus providing a resolution to that ongoing thread. Instead we get maybe 20 seconds of him flying up and pushing a planet away, without a single person (or viewer) getting a good look at him as Superman. Which is an absolutely terrible resolution. Not to mention that it's unclear what exactly lets him suddenly learn to fly, since it seems to be nothing more than a flashback montage that triggers it. Not to mention that he and his allies callously kill the possessed humans they're fighting. Not to mention that they brought back Michael Rosenbaum's terrific Lex Luthor only to give him an ending that rendered his entire character journey irrelevant. All in all it was really pretty bad.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 12:57 AM   #42
Harvey
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
So a complete lack of a conclusion counts as a "satisfying conclusion"?
What I said was that it was a more satisfying conclusion than the movie version. Honestly, despite killing off two principals, Serenity doesn't have much more of a feeling of finality to it than the series. Given the choice, I think the last scene in "Objects in Space" is a better way to go out than anything in the movie, which missed the tone of much of the series and didn't handle the ensemble particularly well.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 01:15 AM   #43
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Caprica and Wonderfalls have awesome endings.

Farscape season 4 ending I thought was wonderful and worked as a very sad finale.
Old July 2 2013, 06:17 AM   #44
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Fringe ended very well, i think. Not so much about the overall plot archs, but the character moments.

It was especially good for Astrid, who was VITAL in helping the team win the battle....and she had an amazing goodbye with Walter, making it a real father-daughter type of relationship (especially with Walter remembering her name onpurpose).
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 09:20 AM   #45
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I thought Journeyman fit the description of the OP's gist. It wasn't perfect-but it was beautiful, especially the final scene...

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote