Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 1 2013, 04:40 PM   #31
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: News about early 2014 schedule

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
and may just have a connection to one of the latter-day series.
So Kirk & Co. discover a planet full of Mormons?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:53 PM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Defcon wrote: View Post
"Captain's Log. We have received an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Brigham Young . . . ."
Old July 1 2013, 05:05 PM   #33
Reanok
Commodore

As 8of5 reports on thetrekcollective.com Amazon has added a couple of new Star TRek books for 2014 to their catalog (FWIW they are also mentioned under author updates on the respective authors' S&S pages with the links leading to an error message):

February: Voyager:Protectors by Kirsten Beyer
March: TOS: No Time like the Past by Greg Cox
April: Enterprise - Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by Christopher L. Bennett
May: TOS: Serpents in the Garden by Jeff Mariotte

Also finally listed on Amazon is Michel A. Martin's eBook exclusive TOS novella Seasons of Light and Darkness, with a release date of April 28th 2014, which is almost a year later than the June/July 2013 date Martin originally mentioned.
I'm definitely forward to this line up of books.coming out next year.No Tme like the past sound slike a time travel story. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this and the New Enterprise novel.Serpents in the garden Intriguing title for a novel.the Twok novel sounds good too.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:14 PM   #34
Charles Phipps
Commander

In any case, I'm looking forward to this collection of books.
Old July 1 2013, 08:08 PM   #35
TerraUnam
Commander

"Captain's Log. We have received an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Brigham Young . . . ."
Their replicators are down and they are out of Jello....
Old July 1 2013, 09:56 PM   #36
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Well Gregs new book sounds like it could make me want to read it. I hope it turns out to be something I'd like.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by ryan123450; July 1 2013 at 10:31 PM.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 02:30 AM   #37
Daddy Todd
Captain

I'd read that book. Hell, I'd love to WRITE that book!

--Todd, from Salt Lake City
Daddy Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:11 AM   #38
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post

March: TOS: No Time like the Past by Greg Cox
This sounds time-travel-y, and I'm a sucker for a good time travel story!
Oh, it's definitely time-travel-y . . . and may just have a connection to one of the latter-day series.

(He says coyly.)
Nice! Can't wait!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 08:17 AM   #39
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I for one am enjoying The Folded World & don't mind the setting of the end of the 5ym. Would love some fill in the gap stories from the TMP-TWoK time period (besides Ex Machina). I know Forgotten History touches on some events & there are probably older novels I don't know of that do as well.
Old July 2 2013, 04:42 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^There are a lot of older novels that are nominally set in the interval between TOS & TMP -- including just about any TOS novel by Howard Weinstein or L.A. Graf -- but few of them really do anything with the period that couldn't have been done in a 5-year-mission novel. The Graf books do focus heavily on Chekov as security chief, so there's that. Weinstein's Deep Domain offers a version of Kirk's decision to give up the ship again and go back to the admiralty. The two early Pocket novels by Sondra Marshak & Myrna Culbreath, The Prometheus Design and Triangle, are more heavily rooted in exploring TMP concepts than most Pocket novels, but the way they do so is, well, not that well-regarded.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:52 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^There are a lot of older novels that are nominally set in the interval between TOS & TMP -- including just about any TOS novel by Howard Weinstein or L.A. Graf -- but few of them really do anything with the period that couldn't have been done in a 5-year-mission novel.
That's kind of my attitude. I periodically flirt with the idea of setting one of my TOS books during the movie era, but if it's just a case of changing the costumes and the ranks and the window dressing a bit, what's the point? Unless I'm planning to deal with Saavik or Gillian or Kirk being an admiral or the Genesis technology or whatever, I might as well set any new standalone adventures during the 5YM.

Sure, in theory, I could have set The Weight of Worlds or The Rings of Time or No Time Like the Past during the movie era, but, whenever I thought about it (and I did), I didn't see anything that I could do in the movie era than I couldn't do during the 5YM.

The exception, of course, being the framing sequence in TO REIGN IN HELL, which had to be set in the movie era because it followed up on the events of The Wrath of Khan. In that case, the trip was necessary.
Old July 2 2013, 05:25 PM   #42
ToddCam
Captain

^ I find that a strange viewpoint. Don't you think the characters grew and changed over that time period? I for one think of the Movie Era versions of the characters as superior to the TV show versions, with the hyperbole toned down and all.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:42 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, that's precisely what appeals to me about the post-TMP era -- the chance to explore the characters' growth and change, to flesh out the glimpses of their life changes that we got in TMP and TWOK. Spock adjusting to his new acceptance of his emotions, Chekov adjusting to security, Sulu contemplating a future captaincy, things like that. And because it's such a blank slate, there's plenty of room to introduce character development arcs, like Sulu's relationship with Chief DiFalco in my books.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:49 PM   #44
Paris
Fleet Captain

^I feel the same as Christopher. Spock's growth in the time period leading up to TMP, and directly after it, are key. Forgotten History did a great job of exploring the differences brought on by TMP. Whenever I see another 5YM book come out, it just makes me think the story is going to be all about the action or "planet of the week" and that zero character growth is to be expected. It's too bad Greg feels like this. I'd love to see him add something to these characters instead of telling stories where everything gets put back in the box at the end .
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:58 PM   #45
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I periodically flirt with the idea of setting one of my TOS books during the movie era, but if it's just a case of changing the costumes and the ranks and the window dressing a bit, what's the point? Unless I'm planning to deal with Saavik or Gillian or Kirk being an admiral or the Genesis technology or whatever, I might as well set any new standalone adventures during the 5YM.
Could always go old-school, and have it set post-TMP but with TOS cover art to confuse the masses.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote