Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 1 2013, 05:32 AM   #31
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Netflix Presents: House of Cards (US) *SPOILERS*

- Loved seeing Frank break the fourth wall. I liked the valuable insight as well as seeing how two-faced people can be.

- Freddy seems to be the only person that Frank genuinely likes. You can see his whole demeanor change when he's around him.

- A lot of the machinations ring true, but the end where he was manipulating his way to the Vice Presidency didn't. Not quite. I found it a bit far-fetched that he could trust Raymond Tusk to either not communicate with Walker or to not let something slip.

- I like that Frank is now going to be VP. I really hope that this doesn't get derailed. Keeping my fingers crossed. And if he makes it that far, he'll have to find some way to get rid of Walker.

- Did I mention that I want some ribs? A full rack?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm actually interested in Claire's story, too. Her office manager has essentially extorted her to gain a platform to rail against the very people she's working for (and lying about), and I'm on Claire's side in this one, who has always struck me as someone who tries to do good, even if that means making deals with the devil. The office manager is totally out of line, and I won't lie, I want it to bite her in the ass.
I'm rooting for Claire too. In fact, I was hoping that she was recording the conversation they had at the door. Gillian admitted that she didn't mind lying and Claire could have used that to scuttle the lawsuit.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:06 AM   #32
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Another thing, I could have sworn that both Peter Russo and Claire broke the fourth wall in one episode. Looked like they both glanced at the camera for a second or two the way Frank does.

And here's a fascinating interview about why Underwood is a democrat.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 09:18 AM   #33
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'm rooting for Claire too. In fact, I was hoping that she was recording the conversation they had at the door. Gillian admitted that she didn't mind lying and Claire could have used that to scuttle the lawsuit.
I was hoping the same thing. Still, I hope Claire takes her down. This, to me, is an instance where Claire is doing the right thing, and an ideologue is trying to stop her by hook or by crook.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Another thing, I could have sworn that both Peter Russo and Claire broke the fourth wall in one episode. Looked like they both glanced at the camera for a second or two the way Frank does.

And here's a fascinating interview about why Underwood is a democrat.
I saw the same thing, and it is my opinion that they did.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 02:08 PM   #34
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I signed up to Netflix for the new season of Arrested Development, but decided to give House of Cards a whirl while I had the chance. It has its problems, but overall I thought it was good and look forward to the next season. I also gave the British version a go (followed by To Play the King and The Final Cut) and enjoyed that too, but they're very different shows. Overall, I'd say I prefer the US version because the characters felt more real, while the British version was more of a mischievous romp. For example, the downfall and death of Peter Russo had more punch to it than the death of Roger O'Neill. (Although my ambivalence to his death was partly down to my happiness of not having to hear his half-leprechaun accent any more.)

That being said, Francis Urquhart is definitely a more fun character than Francis Underwood.