Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 30 2013, 05:11 PM   #16
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Why can't Ro wear her Bajoran earring?

Dress code, past history, and she was displaying a crapload of attitude in that episode from the moment she went aboard.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:35 PM   #17
FKnight
Commander

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Dress code, past history, and she was displaying a crapload of attitude in that episode from the moment she went aboard.
She was aboard for all of five seconds, and Riker was already in a mood before she materialized, but I can see from her demeanor how she was giving off as much attitude as Riker.

We know from VOY: Learning Curve that Bajoran earrings actually aren't technically allowed, but obviously the ship's command staff has a lot of latitude about such things, which seems sensible.

Riker was being a dick and he had attitude before she was even on the ship, but given that, I can't really fault him for doing what he did -- it's XO prerogative at that point, and it's reasonable that he wants to make clear to Ro that she will be held to the highest standards. She was in the stockade for disobeying orders, people died, and I think it's acceptable for Riker to set some ground rules right off the top, at least until Picard says otherwise.

Sometimes being a dick is the first officer's job, and even Picard says Riker's the finest
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:17 PM   #18
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

If she'd gone through channels, she might have gotten the earring approved before she went aboard. She was, to borrow a phrase from my father, "showing her ass." When Riker made her remove it, she didn't protest that it was a cultural symbol...she huffed like a spoiled teenager being forced to give up the phone.
Old June 30 2013, 08:22 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Riker seems a bit dickish to Ensign Ro. Worf is right there in every episode wearing his Klingon baldric. Is it because Bajor is not a Federation member, that she gets punished?
Is the Klingon Empire part of the Federation? Apart from Riker being a jerk, it's likely because the earring violates the Starfleet dress code.

--Sran
When Riker makes Worf take off his sash, and makes Troi get in a uniform I might buy him just enforcing the rules. Until then, he's just being a jerk playing favorites.
Old June 30 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
xvicente
Commander

If I had to define TNG in one word, it'd be "bureaucratic".

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:39 PM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
When Riker makes Worf take off his sash, and makes Troi get in a uniform I might buy him just enforcing the rules. Until then, he's just being a jerk playing favorites.
So you give a troublemaking newcomer the same trust, respect, and leeway that you give to a loyal, time-tested comrade? Being fair isn't always being smart.
Old June 30 2013, 11:12 PM   #22
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

They no doubt went through proper channels to get their special dispensations...indeed, both were wearing their costume variants before Riker even came aboard the Enterprise. Ro also wound up getting such a dispensation by the end of the episode, so there's no point crying over the fact that she was inconvenienced for all of one episode.
Old June 30 2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Green Shirt
Commodore

xvicente wrote: View Post
Yeah, what happened to the supposed "enlightened" humanity of the future with respect for all lifeforms and their beliefs?
Old July 1 2013, 01:01 AM   #24
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
If you were in Riker's group, he was nice to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were male, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, and you were female, but he didn't like you, he was a dick to you. If you were outside of Riker's group, but you were female and he liked you, he would try to get his dick in you.
That's terrible! I love Riker.. You just ruined him for me.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:32 AM   #25
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Okay, for one thing we don't know the "full story" on why Troi wore the outfit she did. The only reason why she changed is because Jelico demanded it and he only did it because he "preferred formality on the bridge." Keep in mind Troi's primary job on the ship was to be a counselor so it makes some sense she'd wear a non-standard uniform when dealing with patients (so they wouldn't feel they were confiding with a fellow/superior officer, but a friend or a mental health professional.) We also know that it was an on-screen excuse to get Marina Sirtis out of the bunny suit.

We don't know the history or reasons why Worf got to wear the baldric.

Was Riker being an ass? Yeah, perhaps, but considering who he was dealing with can you blame him? Ro was very, very far away from being a model officer and she was handed a very prestigious assignment, serving on the Federation Flagship. She was dismissive and indifferent to the command structure and acted as if the rules didn't apply to her. She was a heartbeat away from being dishonorably discharged and thrown out on her ass and probably thrown into what serves for jail/prison in the Federation. She didn't ask permission to wear the earring on to the ship, she just did it.

Troi's clothing -likely- was part of making her patients more comfortable around her. It was essentially part of her job not wearing a uniform; when acting outside of her patient obligations Picard allowed her to have some flexibility in the dress code, likely sometime after "Encounter at Farpoint."

We don't know how, when, or why Worf got to wear the baldric but it too was likely something he earned by being a model officer, obeying orders and not causing trouble. We can probably assume at somepoint he asked for the privilege to wear it.

Ro had none of this. She was a trouble maker, by record alone. You deal with trouble makers by doubling-down on the rules towards them even if it means being petty. Let her wear the earring without asking permission or earning the privilege she'll take that inch and go a mile.

That's what she had proven by the end of the episode, though, that she was an officer worth investing some trust into and she had earned some slack on the uniform.

Last edited by Trekker4747; July 1 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 02:08 AM   #26
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Yeah, what happened to the supposed "enlightened" humanity of the future with respect for all lifeforms and their beliefs?
They're running a starship with a military command structure, not a hippie commune.
Old July 1 2013, 02:16 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

FKnight wrote: View Post

Sometimes being a dick is the first officer's job, and even Picard says Riker's the finest
"If the crew doesn't hate the XO, he's not doing his job" - Saul Tigh
Old July 1 2013, 02:24 AM   #28
Sran
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Well, that's "par for the course" with the Enterprise crew. Anyone who wasn't part of their inner-circle got treated like dirt. Makes you wonder how any of them survived their other postings.

--Sran
Old July 1 2013, 04:02 AM   #29
xvicente
Commander

Does not compute. Uni form = one form = everybody looks the same. But Worf used something, Troi wore something else, in the tng movies some officers wore ds9 clothes.

In the future, the word uniform must have some other meaning.

Or perhaps Riker is an ass? He wants to hurt Ro but really has no excuse to. Yeah, he's an ass.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Green Shirt
Commodore

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Green Shirt wrote: View Post
They're running a starship with a military command structure, not a hippie commune.
Herbert!