RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,185
Posts: 5,345,192
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 722
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 29 2013, 09:22 PM   #331
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It's a cynical attempt to make Spock more normal, less weird and less possibly homosexual. Though this poll shows I'm in the minority as most in this section profess to "LOVE" their flirtatious banter .
I haven't commented on this thread in ages, However I doubt your comments are true. spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal. Spock did have romantic encounters in TOS. Spock was also never weird he just lived by cold logic and spock was also normal...at least normal enough for humans to understand and poke fun off.

I believe that is why uhura made fun of his ears in that song or why bones calls him a hobgoblin.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 09:45 PM   #332
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I wasn't giving my opinion on Spock, I was giving my perceived explanation for why Spock is (*sigh*) "shipped" with Uhura. It's to make him more marketable.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:04 PM   #333
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander
 
Malaika's Avatar
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It's a cynical attempt to make Spock more normal, less weird and less possibly homosexual. Though this poll shows I'm in the minority as most in this section profess to "LOVE" their flirtatious banter .


DalekJim wrote: View Post
I wasn't giving my opinion on Spock, I was giving my perceived explanation for why Spock is (*sigh*) "shipped" with Uhura. It's to make him more marketable.
>>> attempt at trying to find logic in your statement <<< failed |


oh well you aren't the first one here that wrote their "perceived explanation" for why people like the pair and I'm starting to think that you are all participating to a secret contest to see who makes the most offensive, idiotic and ignorant comment.
__________________
Kirk: So her first name's Nyota?
Spock: I have no comment on the matter.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:48 PM   #334
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I think you have quite plainly failed to understand my post, which is only fair as your careless posting style meant I found it difficult to understand yours.

Anybody of half-moderate intelligence could see I was referring to a Hollywood executive's POV and not my own. I feel like I'm insulting the intelligence of the person reading this post by even explaining.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:58 PM   #335
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander
 
Clancy_s's Avatar
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Malaika wrote: View Post
Summarized like that it doesn't make sense but I get what she meant. In short he didn't tell her about pon farr, that is a source of shame for him, because he was scared to lose her.
I agree on that point - I think the Vulcans in general and Spock in particular are probably both ashamed and afraid of pon farr*, he could well fear disgusting and/or hurting Uhura. Sure Sarek and Amanda managed, but this is Spock's first time.

* based mostly on TOS, but I think it's fair to assume anyone reading the comics is a Trekker

Malaika wrote: View Post
Also I have to note that in no form it's ever implied that he wants to mate with T'pring.
There's not much implied about Spock's frame of mind at all and what there is mostly says he's not over his PTSD, which I liked - just mentioning he had it in the movie is not dealing with it.

Malaika wrote: View Post
I beg to differ. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have Spock's speech in that ship on the way to the klingons planet and the writers wouldn't be able to set up his emotional development in the movie that culminated with his reaction when Kirk died.

I think that Kirk's death scene was very out of character for Spock but that speech he made to Uhura makes it a tad less OOC and a tad more justified.
Certainly OOC for TOS Spock, I found it acceptable for this Spock - on the grounds that he's (understandably) unable to deal with anyone he's close to dying.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I've only watched the 2 films, and that's it. I guess I just don't consume every little bit of S/U that is possibly out there to get the "full experience."
I thought we were now discussing the After Darkness comics, at least in part ?

I think that ST:ID used S/U mostly to shed light on Spock's frame of mind, but that's all I expected from it. I do somewhat regret Uhura's ending up in the girlfriend role, but that's a personal bias.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:09 AM   #336
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal.
Being "not normal" is a major character component of Spock. He will always be a child of two worlds. He was tormented growing up because he was not a "normal" Vulcan. He's not human either, though he finds it easier to be on a human dominant ship, no doubt because he can be seen as truly Vulcan by them, something denied him at home. Yes that can all be called "weird" if a person is so inclined.

Spock being "not normal" and an outsider struggling to fit in is THE most compelling personality trait of the character, this is what enamored so many TOS fans with Spock and Star Trek. What is now generations of people who feel like outsiders have looked at Spock and seen a story they can relate to.

For the less nerdy audience it's still a familiar tale, akin to Peter Parker getting knocked about in high school and struggling to talk to girls.

As to the "homosexual".. modern fandom embraces preference ambiguity however the K/S subtext has never been so overt as to be in the face of a broader audience not looking for it. There is nothing to tone down, if that was the intention. But K/S has been there since the beginning, way back in the 60's. JJ is certainly aware of this and his films have played into it in a very satisfying way. Uhura being there has no effect on the often charged and affectionate relationship of Kirk and Spock.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:23 AM   #337
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It's a cynical attempt to make Spock more normal, less weird and less possibly homosexual. Though this poll shows I'm in the minority as most in this section profess to "LOVE" their flirtatious banter .
A broad-brush swipe - not great, but by itself not really enough.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I wasn't giving my opinion on Spock, I was giving my perceived explanation for why Spock is (*sigh*) "shipped" with Uhura. It's to make him more marketable.
Still not enough, whatever a "perceived explanation" might be.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think you have quite plainly failed to understand my post, which is only fair as your careless posting style meant I found it difficult to understand yours.

Anybody of half-moderate intelligence could see I was referring to a Hollywood executive's POV and not my own. I feel like I'm insulting the intelligence of the person reading this post by even explaining.
There we go. You may be sincere when you say that you feel like you're insulting the intelligence of the person reading this post, or you may not. However, it's pretty clear that your two preceding sentences (particularly the second) were intended to bait or insult, and that will be sufficient to earn you a warning. Comments to PM, please.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:23 AM   #338
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal.
Being "not normal" is a major character component of Spock. He will always be a child of two worlds. He was tormented growing up because he was not a "normal" Vulcan. He's not human either, though he finds it easier to be on a human dominant ship, no doubt because he can be seen as truly Vulcan by them, something denied him at home. Yes that can all be called "weird" if a person is so inclined.

Spock being "not normal" and an outsider struggling to fit in is THE most compelling personality trait of the character, this is what enamored so many TOS fans with Spock and Star Trek. What is now generations of people who feel like outsiders have looked at Spock and seen a story they can relate to.

For the less nerdy audience it's still a familiar tale, akin to Peter Parker getting knocked about in high school and struggling to talk to girls.

As to the "homosexual".. modern fandom embraces preference ambiguity however the K/S subtext has never been so overt as to be in the face of a broader audience not looking for it. There is nothing to tone down, if that was the intention. But K/S has been there since the beginning, way back in the 60's. JJ is certainly aware of this and his films have played into it in a very satisfying way. Uhura being there has no effect on the often charged and affectionate relationship of Kirk and Spock.


Oh yeah, I agree but you missed my point. what I meant is that Spock is at least normal enough for humans to understand and Spock will always have romantic encounters with women.


it has nothing to do with slash. slash fiction has always existed since K/S, The latest slash obsession by people is Tony Stark/Bruce Banner aka Iron Man/Hulk. Nonetheless we all know that Tony Stark like Jim Kirk likes to sleep with every pretty girl that says hi to them.

The whole purpose of Slash fiction is to ask What If? but it still by no means make Kirk or Spock homosexual. Going by Carol giving us a background of Chapel in STiD, it is clear that Kirk has even lost count of how many women he has slept with.


Kirk and Spock will always care deeply for each other and be affectionate. However they will always have lustful attraction, sex and experience romantic love with women. Kirk and Spock's relationship with women will have no effect on their legendary friendship/ bromance/ relationship.

The Kirk and Spock relationship is the central and most important relationship in TREK. All their romantic partners either it is Uhura, Leia, Zarabeth, Chapel, T-Pring, Galia and Carol are just mini subplots and like a post once said...the girlfriends.

That's is all am saying.

I have no issue with slash , all fandoms from Marvel to lord of the rings, to star wars to harry potter all have huge slash fan base. harry/draco, Frodo/Sam, Tony/Bruce, Batman/Superman , Anakin/Obi Wan, Wolverine/Gambit but I do get a little worried when most female fan fiction writers start saying slash is canon and the characters are indeed homosexuals who have not yet realised it.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:27 AM   #339
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander
 
Malaika's Avatar
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal.
Being "not normal" is a major character component of Spock. He will always be a child of two worlds. He was tormented growing up because he was not a "normal" Vulcan. He's not human either, though he finds it easier to be on a human dominant ship, no doubt because he can be seen as truly Vulcan by them, something denied him at home. Yes that can all be called "weird" if a person is so inclined.

Spock being "not normal" and an outsider struggling to fit in is THE most compelling personality trait of the character, this is what enamored so many TOS fans with Spock and Star Trek. What is now generations of people who feel like outsiders have looked at Spock and seen a story they can relate to.

For the less nerdy audience it's still a familiar tale, akin to Peter Parker getting knocked about in high school and struggling to talk to girls.
I agree. I also think that, actually, having him in a romantic relationship further shows that he's not "normal"
the interesting thing is precisely the fact that he will never be a "normal" boyfriend/partner and his struggle to love someone all the while having to deal with the perceived flaws of both his halves.

Honestly I think that Tos Spock had it easier, in a way.
He never fell in love, he never lost his mom and his home planet.. therefore he didn't have to face the challenges that this Spock is facing and that might make this Spock a more multi dimensional character and maybe reach the kind of peace that TOS Spock found when he was old just this time sooner and before all the people he cares about die.

Do I think that the writers will take full advantage of his potential as a character? Probably not especially if they insist in making every movie predominantly "about Kirk" and how people relate to him. But they still added a depth to Spock that he, IMO, didn't have in tos (not because Nimoy Spock couldn't but because at the time he wasn't given the chance)

As to the "homosexual".. modern fandom embraces preference ambiguity however the K/S subtext has never been so overt as to be in the face of a broader audience not looking for it. There is nothing to tone down, if that was the intention. But K/S has been there since the beginning, way back in the 60's. JJ is certainly aware of this and his films have played into it in a very satisfying way. Uhura being there has no effect on the often charged and affectionate relationship of Kirk and Spock.
yeah, I don't think that the writers care about people "slashing" K/S and even less they want to tone it down and put Spock with Uhura for that reason. It's stupid.
I've read some reviews about star trek into darkness that even accused the writers of doing some "queer baiting" there.

anyway, I'm glad they aren't scared of subtext because I think that if you want to develop a friendship like theirs and make people think that these two are like brothers you have to make the characters close you can't stop and think about how the slash subculture will interpret the scenes. If you do that you won't be able to develop ANY close friendship.

If anything, slash will always exist regardless what happens on screen.



Clancy_s wrote: View Post
Malaika wrote: View Post
Summarized like that it doesn't make sense but I get what she meant. In short he didn't tell her about pon farr, that is a source of shame for him, because he was scared to lose her.
I agree on that point - I think the Vulcans in general and Spock in particular are probably both ashamed and afraid of pon farr*, he could well fear disgusting and/or hurting Uhura. Sure Sarek and Amanda managed, but this is Spock's first time.

* based mostly on TOS, but I think it's fair to assume anyone reading the comics is a Trekker
if anything the last comics showed how out of control the vulcans get when they're under the influence of the blood fever. There is a part where Spock is still "himself" and he pleads Uhura to not get too close because he knows he might hurt her in the state he's at the moment.

One of my pet-peeves in this fandom is when people say that vulcans have no feelings.
They do have feelings and they're actually deeper and stronger than humans and this is precisely the reason why they desperately seek control and need it to have a "normal" life. We humans don't need that because our feelings are easier to control perhaps, at least compared to theirs.
The question is: if Spock has both human AND vulcan feelings is his control vulcan or human?

Zoe Saldana made a point about it in one of her last interviews where she said that Uhura is starting to understand his vulcan side more and the depth of his feelings and that he's very scared to lose control because he feels that if he does that people (and therefore her) will suffer.

Malaika wrote: View Post
Also I have to note that in no form it's ever implied that he wants to mate with T'pring.
There's not much implied about Spock's frame of mind at all and what there is mostly says he's not over his PTSD, which I liked - just mentioning he had it in the movie is not dealing with it.
[/quote]

I don't think it's a coincidence that he became like the "vanished" vulcans: a group of vulcans that lost their mind and regressed to feral pre-Surak state due to the great grief they felt when their home world was destroyed.
__________________
Kirk: So her first name's Nyota?
Spock: I have no comment on the matter.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:28 AM   #340
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Well there is this..

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:32 PM   #341
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Spock is one of Star Treks if not Star Trek's most popular characters.

I think JJ would be crazy to think he would need to normalise Spock's character to make him more acceptable to modern audiences.

However there might be a bit of truth that in giving Spock a girlfriend then he and Kirk (and McCoy) can have a bromance without being considered gay.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:35 PM   #342
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

But I want him to be gay.

JJ needs to fulfill my needs!!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:28 PM   #343
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Spock is one of Star Treks if not Star Trek's most popular characters.

I think JJ would be crazy to think he would need to normalise Spock's character to make him more acceptable to modern audiences.

However there might be a bit of truth that in giving Spock a girlfriend then he and Kirk (and McCoy) can have a bromance without being considered gay.

The term bromance has never been used to define gay relationships. Bromance has always been about guys who are best friends, share a great platonic love and affection, and who go through live together. One of the most distinctive things about Bromace is the guys talking about girls or their sexual encounters with women.

A perfect example of bromance are the guys from The Hangover or Joey/Ross/Chandler from FRIENDS.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:26 AM   #344
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

All bromances are pulsating with subtext. PULSATING.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:21 AM   #345
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
All bromances are pulsating with subtext. PULSATING.
Not really, no.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
love story, pairings, spock/uhura, star trek 2009

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.