Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 30 2013, 08:13 PM   #61
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Movies that OFFEND you

Yup, big fan of the series. Also, Greg, I notice there was no novelisation this time around, any idea why that was?
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:31 PM   #62
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Yup, big fan of the series. Also, Greg, I notice there was no novelisation this time around, any idea why that was?
It just didn't happen, for various mundane, business-related reasons I can't really get into.

Too bad, though. I enjoyed writing those book--and am looking forward to finding out what happens next to Selene and Co.

(I confess, it did feel odd to watch the most recent UW movie without having read the script in advance!)
Old June 30 2013, 11:51 PM   #63
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The last time I had a visceral reaction of offense to a movie was 2003's Underworld with Kate Beckinsale leading a war between Werewolves and vampires. The movie has a gory amount of blood, unrealistic action scenes, and I walked away thinking "Who green-lit this movie?" It's just so obtuse and violent. I hated it.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of passionate Underworld fans out there. For awhile, I was getting more fan mail for my Underworld novels than for anything else I was writing!

To each their own, I guess.
Yeah, that kind of movie just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying it wasn't well-done, but when I think of a movie full of gratuitous violence, I think of Underworld.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 12:36 AM   #64
sojourner
Admiral

Pan's Labyrinth. The movie just has one of the ugliest endings ever.
Old July 1 2013, 07:55 AM   #65
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Pan's Labyrinth. The movie just has one of the ugliest endings ever.
Yep, same here, although I was pissed off at the entire movie and couldn't believe I had sat through it. The whole time, I felt like it was unnecessarily cruel towards the girl. The war going around her, her uncle, and if that isn't enough, the faun being nasty to her in her fantasy, all just bad thing after bad thing happening to her with no sense of happiness or closure for her. And not to mention the visceral gore. It was just too much and of course the ending didn't help much, and I left the theatre feeling rather numb. Was my worst moving viewing experience.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 09:21 AM   #66
Konata Izumi
Commander

Didn't she become the ruler of some fairyland in the fantasy?
And there were all these crazy creatures to distract her.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:05 PM   #67
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

[Too bad, though. I enjoyed writing those book--and am looking forward to finding out what happens next to Selene and Co.
Ahh, too bad. Sony have copyrighted "Underworld: Battle" a year ago, but that sounds more like a game they're working on as I can't see it being the next movie title.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Yeah, that kind of movie just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying it wasn't well-done, but when I think of a movie full of gratuitous violence, I think of Underworld.
Which is weird, as the original movie had a lot less than quite a few I could think of in the genre, it was rather toned down for what it could have been.

Just be glad you haven't seen Awakening then, the gore factor is one hell of a lot higher.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:48 PM   #68
John Clark
Commodore

It just didn't happen, for various mundane, business-related reasons I can't really get into.

Too bad, though. I enjoyed writing those book--and am looking forward to finding out what happens next to Selene and Co.

(I confess, it did feel odd to watch the most recent UW movie without having read the script in advance!)
Upside, it kept you spoiler free. Shame though as I enjoyed the others (and would have liked to have seen more non-film based novels along the lines of Blood Enemy)
Old July 1 2013, 04:49 PM   #69
Konata Izumi
Commander

I'm not exactly offended about The Idiots unlike everyone, but I'm unsure if it's a bit irresponsible to show deviant habits as a catastrophe only.

Epidemic managed to kind of look like it was doing something irresponsible without actually doing anything of the sort.
Old July 1 2013, 04:53 PM   #70
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

All those Scary Movie, Epic Movie kinds of spoof films offend me. They are not funny, they are insultingly dumb, and an utter waste of time and money. Classics like Airplane or Hot Shots are genuinely funny.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:56 PM   #71
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post

Upside, it kept you spoiler free. Shame though as I enjoyed the others (and would have liked to have seen more non-film based novels along the lines of Blood Enemy)
This is true. There was a certain appeal to seeing an UW movie unspoiled for once, as opposed to knowing every line of dialogue by heart!
Old July 1 2013, 04:57 PM   #72
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I just thought of another--City of God. While a good movie, it has turned my stomach every time I have watched it. I don't know if I am offended, but it's definitely a horrible slice of life.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:01 PM   #73
sojourner
Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Didn't she become the ruler of some fairyland in the fantasy?
And there were all these crazy creatures to distract her.
Old July 1 2013, 06:52 PM   #74
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hmm. We may blurring lines a bit here. It's very possible to find a movie disturbing without being offended by it.

Heck, some of us like disturbing movies . . .
Old July 1 2013, 06:56 PM   #75
Konata Izumi
Commander

^A bit, yes.
sojourner wrote: View Post
I know but I was answering to the "no sense of happiness or closure for her" part, as I don't think that was the case at all. Ugliness, that can be seen anywhere, I didn't mean to refute that.