Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 30 2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: News about early 2014 schedule

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I agree it was probably a bit overkill for the first half of the year to pretty much be exclusively TOS, but I suspect that was partially due to STID's release and partially related to the plans for The Fall series in the second half.
Actually it's been the standard practice for about the past four years to have TOS books dominate one half of the year and 24th-century/other books dominate the other half. So I don't think it's a response to STID. It's just the approach that was already in place.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:05 PM   #17
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Besides, I don't get all the complaints about "yet another 5YM book." In all honesty, I greatly enjoy them, and found with the ones released this year to be some of the finest Trek novels I've read in awhile.
I had a nice four-paragraph answer about why I'm generally (though not universally) not interested in more 5YM books. But that's not really the topic of the thread, so I won't post it. You're welcome.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 12:38 AM   #18
Relayer1
Commodore

Besides, I don't get all the complaints about "yet another 5YM book." In all honesty, I greatly enjoy them, and found with the ones released this year to be some of the finest Trek novels I've read in awhile.
Oh I get it - I get fed up with 5YM but I have to admit, the standard has been fairly high this year...
Old July 1 2013, 12:51 AM   #19
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Well Iwill admit there are ways to make them interesting and worthwhile. See:

Allegience in Exile
Forgotten History
The Rings of Time
and I'm assuming From History's Shadow

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:28 AM   #20
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
As 8of5 reports on thetrekcollective.com Amazon has added a couple of new Star TRek books for 2014 to their catalog (FWIW they are also mentioned under author updates on the respective authors' S&S pages with the links leading to an error message):

February: Voyager:Protectors by Kirsten Beyer
Looking forward to this one. I really want to see where the story goes post-The Eternal Tide.

March: TOS: No Time like the Past by Greg Cox
This sounds time-travel-y, and I'm a sucker for a good time travel story!

April: Enterprise - Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel by Christopher L. Bennett
Not done the first one yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm down for the sequel!

May: TOS: Serpents in the Garden by Jeff Mariotte
Oh. Um... oh. Really? To say I "was not a fan" of his other two books is probably putting it mildly. For me, The Folded World was the low-point of this year's TOS block... and actually the low-point in recent TOS novel history. I guess the question is, will I have the fortitude to resist buying this one, or will I pick it up "just in case" it's good??

Also finally listed on Amazon is Michel A. Martin's eBook exclusive TOS novella Seasons of Light and Darkness, with a release date of April 28th 2014, which is almost a year later than the June/July 2013 date Martin originally mentioned.
Oh, Martin too, huh? Although I see from later in the thread that this is going to be during TWOK, so it could be interesting. I just find it unfortunate that authors I don't enjoy, like Mariotte and Martin, keep getting contracts, but Leisner (whose Shocks of Diversity was, I thought, one of the high-points of this year's TOS block) doesn't appear on the schedule (yet), and someone like KRAD is apparently persona non grata in the ST line. TANJ.

Although, I do agree with what others have said about it being nice that they're mixing up the eras a little more next year.

ATimson wrote: View Post
I had a nice four-paragraph answer about why I'm generally (though not universally) not interested in more 5YM books. But that's not really the topic of the thread, so I won't post it. You're welcome.
Hey, I love TOS, but I'd still be interested in reading this!!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Charles Phipps
Commander

Didn't Christopher speculate there was a 2nd Five Year Mission between Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

Or was it after TVH?
Old July 1 2013, 05:46 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Oh, Martin too, huh? Although I see from later in the thread that this is going to be during TWOK, so it could be interesting. I just find it unfortunate that authors I don't enjoy, like Mariotte and Martin, keep getting contracts, but Leisner (whose Shocks of Diversity was, I thought, one of the high-points of this year's TOS block) doesn't appear on the schedule (yet), and someone like KRAD is apparently persona non grata in the ST line. TANJ.
And David McIntee. He finally gave us a great Geordi story, and now not only is it being ignored, but apparently the editors in charge of Trek Lit won't work with him anymore.
Old July 1 2013, 05:49 AM   #23
JWolf
Commodore

I would prefer to read TOS set after the 5yr mission. There are plenty of gaps to fill in between the movies. Even between the 5yr and TMP. So let's do it. Let's stop the TV novels and go for other time periods.
Old July 1 2013, 05:51 AM   #24
JWolf
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
And David McIntee. He finally gave us a great Geordi story, and now not only is it being ignored, but apparently the editors in charge of Trek Lit won't work with him anymore.
Which is totally sleazy because they requested it, got it, and shafted the crap out of David.
Old July 1 2013, 07:02 AM   #25
Ktrek
Captain

Out of all the TOS books released since December I have not really enjoyed a single one. I'm especially unhappy with giving Mariotte another shot as his book I had to really force myself to finish it.

I am enjoying Chris' ENT novel though and will be looking forward to his second entry in the series. Also looking forward to Kristen's next VOY novel. All her books are great!

I think I'm at the point where collecting Trek books is no longer a must for me. I have every non-fiction book ever published by Pocket but the quality of the TOS line has forced me into a very hard position. I know that it won't make any difference in the sales overall but in a way I'll feel better knowing my hard earned dollars are no longer being wasted on poorly written stories. It's time for me to move on I guess but I'll still continue buying the other series as long as the quality holds up. If they decline as well I'll be truly done.

Kevin
Old July 1 2013, 07:50 AM   #26
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Didn't Christopher speculate there was a 2nd Five Year Mission between Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

Or was it after TVH?
That theory has been around for decades, Chris is no way near the first person to postulate it.

JWolf wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Which is totally sleazy because they requested it, got it, and shafted the crap out of David.
Wasn't there a regime change between IfM and CE?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 08:45 AM   #27
Mage
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I agree it was probably a bit overkill for the first half of the year to pretty much be exclusively TOS, but I suspect that was partially due to STID's release and partially related to the plans for The Fall series in the second half.
Actually it's been the standard practice for about the past four years to have TOS books dominate one half of the year and 24th-century/other books dominate the other half. So I don't think it's a response to STID. It's just the approach that was already in place.
I suppose, but it would be nice if it varied a bit. I've only bought two Trek novels this year, DRGIII's TOS outing and ROTF. And I only bought DRGIII's novel since I love his work. I'm just not a big TOS fan.

Now I had to wait half a year for the novels I like. I suppose that this year it's kinda of ok, since we can read all of The Fall novels back to back. But in any other year, I'd really like to see some variation in what novels are released when, so no TOS for 6 friggin' months straight.
Old July 1 2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
No. Some fans and novelists in the 1980s speculated that there may have been one, assuming the interval between TOS & TMP was closer to the real-life interval between them, despite Kirk's line in TMP about his "five years out there." Some of the '80s novels were apparently set in such a "second five-year mission," in that they alleged to be years after TOS yet still used the pre-TMP ship and uniform designs and character ranks. These include the first few Diane Duane novels, Corona, Pawns and Symbols, and Memory Prime.

All I've done is to discuss that practice from an earlier generation and contribute an interpretation of the chronology of the '80s novel continuity incorporating the "second 5YM" assumption used by some of its entries. It's other people's speculation, I just reported on it. And it certainly doesn't fit what's now generally known and accepted about the Trek chronology.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:26 PM   #29
Charles Phipps
Commander

Thanks!

Either way, I'm happy to just accept the conceit of serialized fiction.
Old July 1 2013, 04:36 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post

March: TOS: No Time like the Past by Greg Cox
This sounds time-travel-y, and I'm a sucker for a good time travel story!
Oh, it's definitely time-travel-y . . . and may just have a connection to one of the latter-day series.

(He says coyly.)