Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 29 2013, 11:38 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: John Bynre photocomics

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Make something for the younger crowd, nurture and grow the next generation (pun intended) of Star Trek fans.
Totally agree. We have many members of this board who, as children, got their interest in Trek kindled by early prime time, stripped episodes of TOS in 70s syndication, or by Filmation's TAS, or by the TNG "Young Adult" Starfleet Academy novels. It's been a long time between drinks.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:40 PM   #17
marksound
Fleet Captain

I took a look at it. I'd rather see some good art with the story than a bunch of recycled screen caps. But that's just me.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Well, there did seem to be some original background art in the samples, specifically another angle of the lithium-cracking station's exterior behind the landing party. That looked like a CGI image. And of course the characters are newly composited against sets they never occupied onscreen, at least not in those uniforms.

I do wonder, though, if these stories will all be limited to featuring characters we've seen onscreen, and extensively enough that there are a lot of angles of them to choose from. What will Byrne do if he has to introduce a new character?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:38 AM   #19
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I think the new parts of the Delta Vega facility might be stock photos, actually. I don't think they really resemble the original painting. (Not in a bad way, they just look "real".)

I wonder why there's a S1+ Kirk on the pilot bridge
Old June 30 2013, 06:46 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm sure photo collage, like any other artistic medium, requires talent, practice, and a good eye to do well. We've all seen bad photoshop jobs as well as near-flawless ones.
Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds. When I was in High School I took a Media Productions class where we used Photoshop extensively, and we'd spend entire classes working on one photo. If you have multiple sources, with different lighting, color saturation, ect. you can spend hours trying to blend things seamlessly, and that's only working with preexisting sources, if you have to create anything for it can take a lot longer. Hell, there were times in the class where I'd be blending things pixel by pixel trying to make them seamless, and that can take forever.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I wonder why there's a S1+ Kirk on the pilot bridge
Perhaps it's some kind of illusion/dream sequence? If they're returning to Delta Vega, it seems reasonable to expect that Gary Mitchell will turn out to be alive after all and that some reality-altering stuff will occur.

Old June 30 2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, I read through the whole thread on Byrne Robotics last night, and it seems so in context.

Anyone vaguely interested in this should read that thread; the work Byrne does to turn television into good comics is quite interesting, and I'm much more interested in this project than when I started this thread!

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f....asp?TID=43808
Old June 30 2013, 07:38 PM   #23
CaptPapa
Commander

Sounds very interesting to me . . . more adventures; cool .

I've certainly enjoyed his Star Trek work so far . . .
Old June 30 2013, 07:56 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Anyone vaguely interested in this should read that thread; the work Byrne does to turn television into good comics is quite interesting, and I'm much more interested in this project than when I started this thread!

Me too. Seeing more of his samples, I'm interested by his use of comic-book composition and conventions to spice up the screencaps -- like in his "Corbomite Maneuver" test pages, having the image of Spock on the sickbay monitor being in a "balloon" with its tail pointing to the monitor, yet with Spock's dialogue in balloons coming out of the inset image. I also liked that page where you had Kirk in the turbolift on the left, Spock on the bridge in the middle, and stacked back-and-forth dialogue balloons in the middle -- a nice graphic portrayal of the conversation between two locations. I'm seeing that even with recycled images, one can appreciate the artistry and skill of Byrne's compositions.

It's also interesting to see how he's approaching plotting via something akin to the Marvel method: first constructing a sequence of images, then devising the story and dialogue based on that sequence. (Although the Marvel method is plot first, then images, then dialogue, usually.)

What's impressive is that it only took a week to get from "the fantasy ... of IDW asking me to do [this]" (June 18) to "The STAR TREK Powers That Be have approved this for publication!" (June 25). The wheels don't generally turn that fast. I guess they must've been really eager for a new Byrne project.

Anyway, I'm a bit jealous, since I've also long imagined doing a "Gary Mitchell returns" story -- in fact, I outlined one as a pitch to IDW a few years ago, though the opportunity to present it to them never materialized. (We have seen at least one such story before -- in the [i]Star Trek/X-Men crossover from Marvel!)

Old June 30 2013, 09:21 PM   #25
marksound
Fleet Captain

I'm reading the thread on Byrne's forum, and I have to admit that my first impression was wrong. He's doing a bangup job with this.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

What's impressive is that it only took a week to get from "the fantasy ... of IDW asking me to do [this]" (June 18) to "The STAR TREK Powers That Be have approved this for publication!" (June 25). The wheels don't generally turn that fast. I guess they must've been really eager for a new Byrne project.
Even so, I wouldn't expect to see it on shelves before February. From October onward IDW will have two Star Trek titles -- the ongoing series and the Into Darkness prequel Khan -- and they know the comics market will only bear so much Star Trek.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:49 AM   #27
Avro Arrow
Captain

Pretty much every ST project Byrne has done has been golden. This one may be produced a bit differently, but I'm in.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 04:31 PM   #28
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Me too. Seeing more of his samples, I'm interested by his use of comic-book composition and conventions to spice up the screencaps -- like in his "Corbomite Maneuver" test pages, having the image of Spock on the sickbay monitor being in a "balloon" with its tail pointing to the monitor, yet with Spock's dialogue in balloons coming out of the inset image. I also liked that page where you had Kirk in the turbolift on the left, Spock on the bridge in the middle, and stacked back-and-forth dialogue balloons in the middle -- a nice graphic portrayal of the conversation between two locations. I'm seeing that even with recycled images, one can appreciate the artistry and skill of Byrne's compositions.
It's knowing how good Byrne is at laying out comics that makes me more interested in this. A photo-comic in general doesn't excite me much, but knowing how talented Byrne is at visual story telling makes me, at the very least, curious to see what he ends up making.
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The fact that CBS signed off on this gives me hope that they'll let the licenses pursue other off-beat concepts. Why more hasn't been done with the Quogs-style Star Trek I don't understand. There should be Quogs-style illustrated books for young readers, kid-friendly comics, etc. Make something for the younger crowd, nurture and grow the next generation (pun intended) of Star Trek fans.
Here here! The Quogs seem such a wasted opportunity, they could have a lot of fun with them. They'd be perfect for funny short films and such like. QMx are startig to get playful with their Trekkies comic strips, but I prefer the Quogs style.
Old July 2 2013, 12:55 AM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

8of5 wrote: View Post
The Quogs seem such a wasted opportunity, they could have a lot of fun with them. They'd be perfect for funny short films and such like. QMx are startig to get playful with their Trekkies comic strips, but I prefer the Quogs style.
I only bought the shortpacked Orion figure, but I did like how the Kirk and Spock were generic enough to be either the new or old actors playing the roles.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/12/cbs-...iple-products/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:50 PM   #30
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

As others have said, I'm a bit disappointed to not have more Byrne line art, but more Byrne Star Trek is really good news!