Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 30 2013, 02:13 PM   #1021
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Casas9425 wrote: View Post
SR still sucked though the story outline of its sequel was pretty good.
Do you happen to have a link handy?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:30 PM   #1022
stj
Rear Admiral

As I recall, Nolan et al. ditched super-speed, probably because visually this has to be done in one of two ways. Either the rest of the screen freezes, which contradicts Snyder's kinetic style, or something invisible blows by, which takes the hero out of the picture entirely.

I thought the fight scenes went on too long because I got bored. It takes about one to understand that they are equally invulnerable to their environment. The only way that they can hurt each other is by Kryptonian flesh, which is so much tougher than anything in the landscape. The question then is why these people don't just duke it out? Because Nolan et al. enjoyed landscape demolition in its own right, obviously. I didn't so much, so the fights got a little draggy.

Part of the problem with the annihilation of Metropolis is bad direction/scene plotting. Sometimes it seems as though the entire city is destroyed, others a "just" a few blocks. Since so much of the destruction comes from a pointless attempt to use buildings to hurt Kryptonians, it easily seems like indifference. And on another level, Superman being so powerless undermines the whole point of the Superman figure, a daydream of invincibility.

But for my part the most stunning depowering of Superman for allegedly dramatic purposes was Superman gasping on the deck of the ship. The opposite effect, Kryptonians having trouble in Earth's atmosphere, was clumsily handled. Did we really see Superman removing masks as a tactic? The results seemed decidedly variable.
Old June 30 2013, 02:30 PM   #1023
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Casas9425 wrote: View Post
SR still sucked though the story outline of its sequel was pretty good.
Do you happen to have a link handy?

Sure thing. Having read it I can tell it would've been a rubbish film. Singer just did not understand Superman.

http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-s...ine-rob-91933/

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=133489
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:05 PM   #1024
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
But for my part the most stunning depowering of Superman for allegedly dramatic purposes was Superman gasping on the deck of the ship. The opposite effect, Kryptonians having trouble in Earth's atmosphere, was clumsily handled. Did we really see Superman removing masks as a tactic? The results seemed decidedly variable.
Especially because they didn't seem to have any problems with the vacuum of space.
Old June 30 2013, 05:05 PM   #1025
sojourner
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
No, what you said was that most aircraft would disagree with the idea that momentum must be conserved (because what I said was nothing more than that). That's false; it must be.

Also, I was talking about Superman changing his trajectory, which, if it were to occur under real world physics, would mean that a compensating force must be applied to another body. For example, say he's floating stationary right next to Lois Lane one second, and then the next second, he's flying away at 500 miles per hour. If the compensating momentum were imparted to Lois, she'd be dead.

Now, am I saying that has to occur? No, I explicitly said that that level of realism is not necessary. I simply said, it would plausible if it did kill her.

Edit: And I also said that the momentum could be imparted to a massive and virtually stationary body, such as the Earth itself. Of course, this need not occur, either.
Two words from your original post that I quoted. "during flight"

Then in your followup post you introduced lift, as seen above.

A change in trajectory can be achieved through flight without using "outside forces"as my example above demonstrates. Now instead of trajectory, maybe you meant to say velocity?
Everything I said was correct. Trajectory means in the sense of a curved path under the effect of forces including friction due to air resistance, and gravity. I mentioned lift only because you mentioned airplanes, as if they were somehow special; they're not. The thing that distinguishes airplanes from other vehicle is their wings, but the way that wings generate lift still involves conservation of momentum.
And yet, my original statement and example still stands while your example of superman floating next to Lois works much better if you replace "trajectory" with "velocity".

Regardless, Superman has been shown to change trajectory and velocity without affecting those near him.
Old June 30 2013, 05:41 PM   #1026
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The shot of the ground shaking under Clark didn't suggest levitation or anti-gravity to me at all.
An earthquake in response to his pressing into the ground, then, perhaps? I'll have to see the film again to be sure what I saw, but I thought it was shaking at first, suggesting power or that he's about to push off, but then I thought I saw pebbles floating, too.

If Clark can time travel by flying fast enough in a certain way, without mechanical aid, it's an innate power. It's not a "side effect of speed," because he can (could) fly FTL without time traveling. That would be the same as calling his super-breath (a pretty ridiculous power, granted) a "side effect of respiration."
Well, even if he can travel FTL in comics without going back in time, movie continuities are not obliged to grant him that power, correct? In Superman/Superman II (either cut), when did he go FTL, unless it was when he was turning back time?
Dunno, but previous movies are no more or less relevant to Clark's "innate powers" than old comic stories are.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 05:59 PM   #1027
davejames
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The first time I thought their was way too much action but the second time I felt it all fit. Zak Snyder is one to push the limits of visual effects in all his movies. I think the first time it was all too much "In your face" action. Going in a second time and knowing what to expect made it easier to digest.
Yeah, after sitting through the incredibly tedious and mindnumbing action of the Pirates and Transformers sequels, I thought the action here flew by relatively quick.

It's definitely fast and intense and "in your face", but the actual length didn't seem that bad to me at all.

And I also thought there was also enough variety in the action too. The only one that threatened to become a bit "monotonous" was the final one between Superman and Zod, where it seems like they just take turns throwing each other through buildings for awhile. But even then you had that awesome sequence at the construction site with the steel girder, and the sequence with the satellite. So there was at least a little bit of variety there.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:29 PM   #1028
davejames
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I don't know, I thought it was a nice dose of realism, seeing them have to struggle a bit in the different atmospheres of their planets. Because it doesn't matter how strong you are; if you can't breathe, you're not going to be a whole lot of use to anybody.

And I think Jor-el explained that the nutrients in Earth's atmosphere have as much to do with Clark's powers as the yellow sun. So apparently both things need to work together for him to get the full effect.

And Zod and Faora both seemed to struggle about the same amount when exposed to Earth's air, it seemed to me (with Faora even wincing in pain at one point).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:47 PM   #1029
Nociod
Fleet Captain

D

I just came back from watching the Man of steel, and I must said I was disappointed.

The story was boring, it went too slow and the CGI looked fake. The action scenes were quite boring as fell. An explosion here, another explosion there, punch punch, bodies flying through walls, rinse and repeat. A real snooze fest.

Disliked how Jonathan Kent died. Really, send Clark with the girl and the dad gets the dog? It was too convenient how Zod requested Lois to tag along, and then throw here in a cell where she could connect the USB-thingy.

The new Spiderman reboot was way better than this movie. Spiderman actually entertained. This movie felt more like the last Spiderman before the reboots, with Venom and emo Parker.

I didn't mind that Lois used here skills to find Supermans identity, that was good, but thought the whole movie could have been better.

I doubt I'll ever watch this movie again
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:11 PM   #1030
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

I saw MoS a few days ago and I loved every minute of it.
I can't wait to see it again and see what they'll do with the next one.

Voting A

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:09 AM   #1031
Dream
Admiral

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:14 AM   #1032
RoJoHen
Awesome

Dream wrote: View Post
Ha!
Old July 1 2013, 01:19 AM   #1033
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Nociod wrote: View Post
D

I just came back from watching the Man of steel, and I must said I was disappointed.

The story was boring, it went too slow and the CGI looked fake. The action scenes were quite boring as fell. An explosion here, another explosion there, punch punch, bodies flying through walls, rinse and repeat. A real snooze fest.

Disliked how Jonathan Kent died. Really, send Clark with the girl and the dad gets the dog? It was too convenient how Zod requested Lois to tag along, and then throw here in a cell where she could connect the USB-thingy.

The new Spiderman reboot was way better than this movie. Spiderman actually entertained. This movie felt more like the last Spiderman before the reboots, with Venom and emo Parker.

I didn't mind that Lois used here skills to find Supermans identity, that was good, but thought the whole movie could have been better.

I doubt I'll ever watch this movie again
Doesn't matter. Made half a billion!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 01:41 AM   #1034
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Dream wrote: View Post
Well, that "one way" is "someone dies" it was just a matter of who it is.
Old July 1 2013, 04:59 AM   #1035
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a badly written line though. "There's only one way this ends, Kal. With one of us dead!" says the same thing without the new math.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote