Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 26 2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: TV movies?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

Whilst not a TV Movie, Red Dwarf springs to mind it had a new series last year, did well enough in the ratings, it was reasonable well recieved and could get another season.
I haven't seen the new series yet (or the second and third parts of Back to Earth, for that matter), but I doubt the budget of Red Dwarf is more than a fraction of what it would cost to fund even a small Star Trek TV movie.
True, but I was countering the claim that no one is making Ship based Sci-Fi. Now admitetly it's not on the scale of ST or most American Ship based Sci-Fi shows. But it'sa ship based Sci-Fi show non the less.
I never said that no one is making ship-based sci-fi. I said that no one is making ship-based sci-fi TV movies, which was what the OP was asking about.
Old June 30 2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Mage
Commodore

A mini-series could be an option as well.

The biggest reason I feel a long-running tv show won't work is because of the reasons I stated earlier. Serialized tv doesn't seem to work anymore. With some exceptions ofcourse, most shows fail after one or two seasons. I'd hate to get my hopes up with a new show, only to have it cancelled after a while. I do see how tv-movies couldn't work well either though.

So perhaps, a mini-series of 6 episodes, telling a story from beginning to end, might be a good option.
Old June 30 2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I doubt shows are being cancelled at a rate any higher than in the past. Serialization might increase audience frustration, though, I'll grant you that.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
A mini-series could be an option as well.

The biggest reason I feel a long-running tv show won't work is because of the reasons I stated earlier. Serialized tv doesn't seem to work anymore. With some exceptions ofcourse, most shows fail after one or two seasons. I'd hate to get my hopes up with a new show, only to have it cancelled after a while. I do see how tv-movies couldn't work well either though.

So perhaps, a mini-series of 6 episodes, telling a story from beginning to end, might be a good option.
1) Who says the new show has to be serialized?
2) Serialized shows aren't cancelled more frequently than other shows. Most new shows are cancelled after one or two seasons. That applies to serialized, episodic, dramas, sci fi, and comedies.
3) Falling Skies and Walking Dead are doing just fine as serialized sci fi on TV these days. A network exec is a lot more likely to copy their success than try a format that has been DOA recently.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote