Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 27 2013, 11:13 PM   #526
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Becoming Dr. Q: My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon, by Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, MD. Fascinating and inspiring. I had the opportunity to meet him last year, and the book really reflects his warmth and enthusiasm (in addition to the expected brilliance).

Moving on to The Chronicles of Downton Abbey.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 11:51 PM   #527
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

World War Z by Max Brooks

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 10:27 AM   #528
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Just finished Book two in the Songs of Fire and Ice series, A Clash of Kings. I loved it, fantastic book. So I'm starting on the next part of the saga, A Storm of Swords.
I'm a little behind you, just started A Clash of Kings! Read through A Game of Thrones pretty quickly though so it shouldn't be too long before I've caught up with the books.
Im at page 872, chapter 25 in A Storm of Swords. With each book, this series becomes more and more my favorite. I can't wait to be one of the many clamoring for the next book by GRRM.
Yeah, I didn't expect to read the first one as quickly as I did. They're really good value as well!

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 10:28 AM   #529
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm currently reading a collection of Mark Twain's speeches.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 02:32 PM   #530
Kolinahr
Lieutenant

I'm reading a novelization of the TV show Leverage. It's titled The Zoo Job if anybody's interested in looking it up.

Also looking forward to trying some of John Green's books. I've heard good things about The Fault in Our Stars.

Kolinahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 05:34 PM   #531
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

I just finished reading Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King...it's very different from his usual...sword and sorcery for this one...good story, too.

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 09:21 PM   #532
kirsten187
Curmudgeon at large

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

Re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk - RUN!" Quark
kirsten187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 03:01 AM   #533
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ One of my favorites.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:32 AM   #534
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I am attempting to read An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke. I'm not having much like with it, however. I don't think philosophy is for me. On a much brighter note, I finished The Bonobo and the Atheist. I am definitely buying this one for a re-read.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 10:53 PM   #535
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Just finished Dragonlance - The Lost Chronicles: Dragons of the Hourglass Mage. Next will be Dragonlance: The Second Generation. It kind of sucks that I've finished the 3 trilogies that star the heroes of the lance, and i've heard the books start dropping off in quality at this point, but I like the universe and characters enough that I want to keep going.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:20 AM   #536
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Reading another Frans De Waal book (Our Inner Ape). Gave up on Essay Concerning Human Understanding. Made it trip to the library yesterday. Maybe I'll read it another time.
Old June 30 2013, 11:28 AM   #537
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I am attempting to read An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke. I'm not having much like with it, however. I don't think philosophy is for me. On a much brighter note, I finished The Bonobo and the Atheist. I am definitely buying this one for a re-read.
I don't think you should give up on all philosophy. Thing is, a lot of philosophers aren't very good writers so it can be very grinding trying to read them. Some of my favourites are Plato, Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus, Kirkegaard, Descartes, Hume was alright as well I think, and Rousseau wasn't bad although it's been a while since I've read those two.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:30 AM   #538
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I have just finished The Library: An Illustrated History by Stuart AP Murray. A somewhat disjointed and repentative book which was disappointing as it contained interesting info. 3/5.

Tomorrow I will start In Our Hearts We Were Giants: The Remarkable Story of the Lilliput Troupe - A Dwarf's Family Survival of the Holocaust by Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:42 AM   #539
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I don't think you should give up on all philosophy. Thing is, a lot of philosophers aren't very good writers so it can be very grinding trying to read them. Some of my favourites are Plato, Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus, Kirkegaard, Descartes, Hume was alright as well I think, and Rousseau wasn't bad although it's been a while since I've read those two.
I have heard that Locke in particular can be hard to read because his writing can be so disjointed. I thought it would be different. I'm not going to give up on philosophy, but I am going to take a break. It seems to me that philosophy comes from a false premise that we are savages until taught otherwise. We have the capacity to empathize with others and to think outside our immediate needs. This comes from biology. For instance, I may be amorous, but I don't grab the first attractive person I see and rape them because I have that urge. I consider it from the other person's perspective first. I do it without thinking. This causes me to talk to them, to try and get to know them, even if my immediate goal is just to sleep with them.

These are thoughts as I got into the first 10 pages of the Essay. His premise that reason is the only thing that separates the human animal from chaos seemed an oversimplification. I have read philosophy, taken a few classes, I just wasn't, coming off of Bonobo, ready to tackle it. So I will try again later, I just don't want to do it right now.
Old June 30 2013, 10:41 PM   #540
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ You're right, it's definitely an oversimplification. Reason is vital, of course, but it's not what stands between us and chaos-- the animal kingdom is not chaotic, merely animalistic. Many of the qualities we consider noble-- love, sympathy, loyalty, compassion-- are present in mammals generally (and other classes as well). What really defines Humanity are the arts and sciences.