Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 29 2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Latest Really Stupid Youth Fad: Smoking Alcohol!

Link to video

Chug-a-lugging and binge drinking not risky enough for you? How about vaporizing alcohol and inhaling it?

The trend didn’t really gain popularity until earlier this year when a YouTube user uploaded a video clip showing how to vaporize alcohol using a plastic bottle and bicycle pump. Copycats have since uploaded videos of themselves also “smoking alcohol.” Some pour the alcohol over dry ice instead of using the plastic bottle and bicycle pump.

Kids seem to think that by smoking alcohol, you can bypass some negative consequences of consuming alcohol such DUI or your parents catching you and grounding you. (Please note: If you ingest alcohol it will show up in your bloodstream. You can get charged with DUI and your parents are probably going to notice.)

Also, inhaling alcohol is really bad for your health. It’s toxic to the lungs. It goes straight to the brain, meaning you lose the benefit of slow metabolization and if you overdo it, the protective impulse to vomit isn’t going to save you.
Apparently this has been going on for a while, but this is the first I've heard of it. BTW, it's really, REALLY dumb.
Old June 29 2013, 07:17 AM   #2
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: Latest Really Stupid Youth Fad: Smoking Alcohol!

Ron Swanson says: "This the wrong way to consume alcohol."

That being said, these youth fads that get played up into a "save the children!" frenzy in the media are almost always ridiculously exaggerated and fade away almost as fast as they appeared.
Old June 29 2013, 07:31 AM   #3
teacock
Admiral

It goes straight to the brain, meaning you lose the benefit of slow metabolization and if you overdo it, the protective impulse to vomit isn’t going to save you.
So NO PUKING.

Sold.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:47 AM   #4
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

They were doing this with wine on "James May's Man Lab" Christmas episode last year. You think this is a horrible fad? Then blame foodie and wine expert Oz Clarke. I think it's a wonderful fad, and recommend trying it with a good snifting brandy. Single malts are good too.
Old June 30 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I wish one of these 'dangerous fads' would really work in large numbers. You only tend to lose a small handful of people with each one (like planking, for instance) ...we'll never thin the herd without some real hard-hitting deadliness.

How about "redback snorting?"
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

Tosk wrote: View Post
I wish one of these 'dangerous fads' would really work in large numbers. You only tend to lose a small handful of people with each one (like planking, for instance) ...we'll never thin the herd without some real hard-hitting deadliness.
Scrooge: If they'd rather die, then they had better do it and decrease the surplus population. Good night, gentlemen.
[walks away, then turns back]
Old June 30 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

How about "redback snorting?"
Here's what we do: First, you try out a bunch of surefire methods of stupidity, and we'll wait and see which one kills you while looking really cool. Whichever method that is, we'll then spread the idea around to all the kids you wish to see dead. That way, you get what you wish for, with only a minimal loss of time and resources.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Nah, I'm too much of a square to do anything cool.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Hey, it's hip to be square.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
Brony Kingdom
Old June 30 2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
I think it's a wonderful fad, and recommend trying it with a good snifting brandy. Single malts are good too.
Heathen savage.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 11:40 PM   #11
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

teacake wrote: View Post
It goes straight to the brain, meaning you lose the benefit of slow metabolization and if you overdo it, the protective impulse to vomit isn’t going to save you.
So NO PUKING.

Sold.
Puking as normal - it just won't save you!
Old July 1 2013, 06:32 AM   #12
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

J. Allen wrote: View Post
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor."
Old July 1 2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

inb4 "kids these days/culture is in decline"
Old July 1 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

sidious618 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor."
You know, I've never seen American Psycho. I'm curious, but I am really not a fan of hyperviolent movies. I used to like them, but in recent years I've shied away from them. Still, I hear the movie is good.

Brony Kingdom
Old July 1 2013, 08:24 AM   #15
teacock
Admiral

You couldn't pay me to watch it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote