RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 452
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 26 2013, 12:42 AM   #31
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: The Last of Us

I started playing it yesterday.

Possibly best cinematography out of any game ever made.

I'm still early in the game, but how long before the handholding stops? I want to get to the part of the game where there isn't an NPC leading you around by the nose, when does that happen?

No matter how great all the other aspects of a game are handholding is a dealbreaker for me.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:43 AM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not sure what you mean. Exactly how far along are you?
Old June 26 2013, 12:45 AM   #33
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm still very near the beginning so admittedly not enough of a sample to tell if this handholding continues.

But I got several hours into Uncharted 2 and it was all either a tutorial section or there were NPCs telling you 'Go here! Now go here! Now shoot that guy!' I'm hoping Last Of Us doesn't turn into that, and there are more parts of the game where you're just on your own.
Old June 26 2013, 01:16 AM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'm still very near the beginning so admittedly not enough of a sample to tell if this handholding continues.

But I got several hours into Uncharted 2 and it was all either a tutorial section or there were NPCs telling you 'Go here! Now go here! Now shoot that guy!' I'm hoping Last Of Us doesn't turn into that, and there are more parts of the game where you're just on your own.
Well, there are definitely parts where you just have to follow other characters around. They lead you through the story. But there's plenty of running around by yourself.
Old June 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #35
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Jeez, the "clickers" are annoying.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 07:47 AM   #36
Jono
Rear Admiral

Enjoying the game so far, just reached "Winter". Only problem I'm having is my system doesn't want me to update to version 1.01 without resetting or claiming it can't connect to the internet. Not sure what it fixes, but I haven't had any issues so far.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 07:51 AM   #37
BigFoot
Admiral

^ There was a bug where the game would stop saving your progress. If you went into the main menu and it said "autosaving, please wait" rather than "less than x minutes ago." for a very long time, you got the glitch. Exiting the game sort of helped, but some people lost quite a bit of progress. It happened to me, but luckily I only lost about 15 minutes.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 01:17 AM   #38
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

I've been dying to talk spoilers about this game with someone who played and finished. If you haven't finished this game I strongly urge that you not read any further.

Well??

Oh, and

Last edited by AlphaMan; June 29 2013 at 01:32 AM.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 01:57 AM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have mixed feelings about the ending. On the one hand, I get it. On the other hand, what a selfish asshole!
Old June 30 2013, 01:54 AM   #40
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

I really wish I could play this game myself, rather than having to watch let's plays of it.
Old June 30 2013, 03:23 AM   #41
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 07:42 AM   #42
Jono
Rear Admiral

Just finished the game. Maybe I rushed sections but it felt a bit short, though the last PS3 game I played was Red Dead Redemption so my perspective is probably a bit skewed.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 09:48 AM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jono wrote: View Post
Just finished the game. Maybe I rushed sections but it felt a bit short, though the last PS3 game I played was Red Dead Redemption so my perspective is probably a bit skewed.

I didn't even know I had the option to not kill all of them!
Old July 8 2013, 05:05 AM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm a bit farther into the game now, just got through the subway.

Great story/cinematography, average gameplay. Stealth mechanics have a few major issues. Like, they go for visceralness but then create this artificial supply shortage where there's absolutely no reason this guy should not carry around a pocket knife so he doesn't have to craft shivs that break after one use. And area barriers don't always look like barriers, and when the NPCs say "We can go in here!" It's not always obvious where they're referring to which has lead to a lot of unnecessary poking around the environment in the wrong area and unnecessary fights. And sometimes they don't give you important information until lack of that information results in a game over. Like, I try to strangle a clicker, die, and it says "Oh BTW trying to strangle a clicker is death, just FYI".

As a person who lives in Boston, though, the area design is extremely 'Uncanny valley'. Like, they have the right highways, a realistic looking capitol building, correctly named subway stations, random swan boats laying around, busts that look exactly like busts in Boston Common laying around. A ton of signposts that tell you "I am in Downtown Boston". Yet, nothing looks like the actual places in Boston where these things belong. (If you're going to make a place obviously Boston, give us a few Easter eggs! Like the duckling statues knocked over and mossy. Or at least make the skyline accurate.)

Very good game, but so many people are saying 'Best of Gen' and I can't possibly call a game Best of Gen if the main draw of the game is the story and cinematography. Cinematography isn't what video games are about.
Old July 8 2013, 08:43 AM   #45
Shakaar
Captain

I personally loved the gameplay. I thought the controls were fantastic. I never really experienced supply shortages until very late in the game. I've played through it 3 times now, and have NEVER been lost, not even the first time. It seemed to me that it was obvious where to go. Maybe even a little TOO linear in places. I would have liked to explore the world a lot more.

Also, maybe I'm forgetting something, or maybe its because I read all of the artifacts and things, but I was fairly sure that I knew you couldn't strangle clickers very early in the game. Possibly before one even showed up. In most instances, you can sneak around them anyway without having to dispatch them.

In short, for me, it was ALL good. It even turned out to be LONGER than I was expecting.