Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 30 2013, 05:01 AM   #136
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Yeah, well, put Taylor Swift against this...

...and, I guarantee, she won't win.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 05:46 AM   #137
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Charley Pride? Depends upon who is listening. Sorry, my friend, but just because you think he's a legend, doesn't automatically make him the better choice, nor does it make him "real" country. Charley Pride won a CMA award back in 1994, as a "Pioneer." His last earned (by sales and popularity) award (an AMA, for a total of 3 CMAs, and 3 AMAs) was received in 1976.

Taylor Swift, on the other hand:

Wiki wrote:
Swift has been the recipient of seven Grammy Awards, eleven American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, six Academy of Country Music Awards, and twelve Billboard Music Awards. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
And she's still selling albums, and she's still in the musical spotlight, and she's younger than when Charley Pride won his award, AND she has a long career ahead of her. You will lose your bet. I can bet you, and win, on the idea that there are people who don't consider Charley Pride "real" country. That doesn't make them right, either. You know why? Because there's no such thing as "real" country.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain

Last edited by J. Allen; June 30 2013 at 05:56 AM.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:28 AM   #138
the G-man
Commodore

My grandfather was an Appalachian hillbilly. He was beaten by his father for having the temerity to learn to read. He nearly lost his foot in an accident with an ax. He shot at people during prohibiton days under circumstances I'd rather not discuss. Later, on the farm, he drove a John Deere tractor because that's what he considered a success. He was the real deal when it came to being "country."

And he fucking LOVED Charley Pride.

Last edited by the G-man; June 30 2013 at 08:40 AM.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:50 AM   #139
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

the G-man wrote: View Post
My grandfather was an Appalachian hillbilly. He was beaten by his father for having the temerity to learn to read. He nearly lost his foot in an accident with an ax. He shot at people during prohibiton days under circumstances I'd rather not discuss. Later, on the farm, he drove a John Deere tractor because that's what he considered a success. He was the real deal when it came to being "country."

And he fucking LOVED Charley Pride.

Half of my family lived in the mountains of West Virginia during the depression. My family history is full of moonshiners, gun runners, and hillbilly shotgun weddings. My great-great grandmother used to slaughter hogs and sell the meat in her store. She had no refrigeration, there was no electricity.

One of my great uncles shot a revenuer and tossed his body off a Kentucky hillside while he was still in his car, and if he would have seen Charley Pride, he'd have shot him too, and hanged him just to be sure he was dead.

Now that we've got our totally useless and pointless family bonafides out of the way, like I said, it depends upon who is listening. It doesn't matter if you love Charley Pride so much you want to have his babies, the fact of the matter is that your opinion doesn't mean squat when it comes to saying who is or isn't "real."

It's so silly. "This isn't 'real' Star Trek. That isn't a 'real' country singer." Just say what you really mean: "This is new and different, and it's not what I liked growing up, which makes me insecure. Therefore it's fake."

Now get off'n my property 'fore I call on the dogs to daddamn drag ya off.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
Old June 30 2013, 02:01 PM   #140
Forbin
Admiral

Why, mah grandpappy ATE a revenuer once....

No, twice!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:05 PM   #141
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

There will always be certain standards as to what qualifies as a certain kind of music. You wouldn't look at, for example, Nine Inch Nails and call it country, would you? To be properly called a country artist (or indeed an artist for ANY form of music) requires certain standards as to what qualifies as that form.

In Taylor Swift's case, for example, WHY call her a country singer? What is it about her music that ever sounded like country? What qualifies her, now or in the past, to be able to lay claim to being a country artist? Think about it.

Sorry for mentioning Charley Pride (didn't know there were so many haters) but let's consider, for example, Dire Straits. I might argue that their last album (On Every Street) qualifies them as a country act, since not only does it have a steel guitarist as a permanent member of the band, but also Vince Gill sings backup on it - hell, he was even invited to join permanently as well!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 30 2013, 05:26 PM   #142
jayceee
Commander

^

This discussion sounds very similar in spirit, to how some hardcore heavy metal fans attempt to define what is "metal" and what isn't.

Even more amusing is when such metalheads attempt to define what is a particular subcategory of "metal". (ie. Power metal, thrash metal, death metal, etc ....). Such never ending long arguments over nothing in the end.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:45 PM   #143
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Here are some songs that shaped my musical views.

Love that transcends obstacles--parents dead-set against it, death, etc. Learning from one generation to the next, you lineage, seeing the power of love.

On being young...friendship, drinking, water, cars, experiences that shape who you are today.

Love that stops you from moving on. A goodbye that was never supposed to come. It's a true loss.

I don't have a high-end taste in music. I like country. But I don't like Taylor Swift and the reasons have been stated previously in this thread.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:53 PM   #144
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Most of the places that bash her are the places whose job it is to bash everyone. I wouldn't take it to harshly.

She gets hate on the internet because others can slander anomalously.

She doesn't exist to me, not my kind of music at all, but I can understand why she is popular as well. Just doesn't appeal to my sensibilities.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:07 PM   #145
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

There will always be certain standards as to what qualifies as a certain kind of music. You wouldn't look at, for example, Nine Inch Nails and call it country, would you? To be properly called a country artist (or indeed an artist for ANY form of music) requires certain standards as to what qualifies as that form.

In Taylor Swift's case, for example, WHY call her a country singer? What is it about her music that ever sounded like country? What qualifies her, now or in the past, to be able to lay claim to being a country artist? Think about it.
Well, the people who cut her checks, make her contracts, publish her albums, consider her to be a country music artist. That's really all there is to it. Most country music is in the form of ballads, and such, and often use guitars, banjos, and violins. The genre does change over time, just like any other musical genre, but even if you don't like it, she fits the bill of a country music artist.

Sorry for mentioning Charley Pride (didn't know there were so many haters) but let's consider, for example, Dire Straits. I might argue that their last album (On Every Street) qualifies them as a country act, since not only does it have a steel guitarist as a permanent member of the band, but also Vince Gill sings backup on it - hell, he was even invited to join permanently as well!
Actually, I like Charley Pride. I was just pointing out that liking an artist doesn't mean they fit the definition of whatever "real" happens to be at the moment.
Old July 1 2013, 12:55 AM   #146
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

jayceee wrote: View Post
^

This discussion sounds very similar in spirit, to how some hardcore heavy metal fans attempt to define what is "metal" and what isn't.

Even more amusing is when such metalheads attempt to define what is a particular subcategory of "metal". (ie. Power metal, thrash metal, death metal, etc ....). Such never ending long arguments over nothing in the end.
Only Pablo Francisco knows what death metal is.

Old July 1 2013, 01:20 AM   #147
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post

Charley Pride? Depends upon who is listening. Sorry, my friend, but just because you think he's a legend, doesn't automatically make him the better choice, nor does it make him "real" country. Charley Pride won a CMA award back in 1994, as a "Pioneer." His last earned (by sales and popularity) award (an AMA, for a total of 3 CMAs, and 3 AMAs) was received in 1976.

Taylor Swift, on the other hand:

Wiki wrote:
Swift has been the recipient of seven Grammy Awards, eleven American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, six Academy of Country Music Awards, and twelve Billboard Music Awards. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
And she's still selling albums, and she's still in the musical spotlight, and she's younger than when Charley Pride won his award, AND she has a long career ahead of her. You will lose your bet. I can bet you, and win, on the idea that there are people who don't consider Charley Pride "real" country. That doesn't make them right, either. You know why? Because there's no such thing as "real" country.
This^.

And I have a confession to make: I have all Taylor Swift's albums.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 09:09 AM   #148
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

ryan123450 wrote: View Post

This^.

And I have a confession to make: I have all Taylor Swift's albums.
Nothing wrong with that! To each their own. I've listened to a number of her songs, and while they're not generally my taste, they do have that bubblegum feeling to them, and can be quite pleasant.
Old July 1 2013, 12:39 PM   #149
the G-man
Commodore

jayceee wrote: View Post
^

This discussion sounds very similar in spirit, to how some hardcore heavy metal fans attempt to define what is "metal" and what isn't...
There are one or two posters here who would call Swift metal if her record label told them to.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 05:21 PM   #150
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ If Taylor Swift recorded metal, I'd buy it. Maybe it'd be like Y Kant Tori Read.

Oh yeah, I went there.