Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 29 2013, 11:18 AM   #16
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Klingon Battle Cruiser

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I believe I read somewhere, that the design of the long neck along with the bulbous bridge module was based on the sitar, a musical instrument from india.
Now, whenever I see a Klingon Battle Cruiser, I'll hear "Norwegian Wood" in my head....Not a bad thing, but certainly incongruous.

I suppose that "Paint It Black" would be more in the Klingons' style, but I was always more of a Beatles man myself....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 06:15 PM   #17
nightwind1
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Retu wrote: View Post
I remember when I first put a D7 model together (probably AMT), I wasn't satisfied with the color. So I painted it glossy black. It looks downright scary that way.
I saw one someone had painted as if cloaked.

Airbrushed black, with a random starfield all over it as if you were seeing through it.
That would only work if both it an its enemy were not moving, otherwise you'd see the painted stars moving.
It's a model. The paint job was to simulate the fact that the ship was invisible.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 07:02 PM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
The Klingon battlecruiser is just the best, just as iconic as the Enterprise. It seems the Klingon Bird of Prey is the big favorite, but it can't compare to the D-7.
The Klingon Bird of Prey that first appeared in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was originally supposed to be a Romulan vessel, and its Romulan origin shows in the overall birdlike appearance and feather-like patterns on the wings. Furthermore, the pivoting wings, wingtip-mounted weapons and lack of engine nacelles make the Klingon BOP look more like something from the Star Wars universe than Star Trek. Not surprising, since the miniature was designed and built by ILM.

It's got a cobra head, batwings, from the bow it looks like a gunslinger ready to draw, it's all kinds of cool.
A gunslinger ready to draw. Funny, after all these years I never saw that until just now!
Old June 29 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
publiusr
Commodore

It's is a favorite ship of mine. It inspired the 3-prong look.
Look a t draconia, the Eastern Alliance ship--the idea of a long central section with two outriggers flying behind and to either side--D-7 pretty much started that in some respects.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:08 PM   #20
Maurice
Vice Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
That would only work if both it an its enemy were not moving, otherwise you'd see the painted stars moving.
It's a model. The paint job was to simulate the fact that the ship was invisible.
I get that it's a model, but now it's clearer that he was simulating what it would look like cloaked, rather than some camouflage paintjob, which is how I misread it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:28 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Stoo wrote: View Post
On the other, that long skinny neck bothers me for some reason.
Something freudian perhaps? Long shaft, bulbous head, little hole at the very end.

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I believe I read somewhere, that the design of the long neck along with the bulbous bridge module was based on the sitar, a musical instrument from india.
In the novel Final Reflection, the Klingon's earlier designs had that feature to separate the command personnel from the main engineering section with it's inevitable radiation. Later after the radiation was no longer a problem they keep the design. One (later) Klingon junior officers like the design because it kept him away from the Klingon Marines barracked in the main section..

scotpens wrote: View Post
The Klingon Bird of Prey that first appeared in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was originally supposed to be a Romulan vessel ...
The villains of TSFS were once considered to be Romulans, but the ship was design as "the enemy ship," not strictly speaking a Romulan ship.

The neck is shorter, but there is a neck. The bulbous head is a different shape, but there is a bulbous head. The torpedo launcher port is in the same place as the TMP K'Tinga cruiser, not just generally on the bow. Regardless of who was originally considered to be the TSFS villain, the ship ultimately produced was entirely Klingon.

and its Romulan origin shows in the overall birdlike appearance and feather-like patterns on the wings.
The "patterns on the wings" are more reminiscent of the similar external panels on the TMP K'Tingas. The BOP's radiate outward from the forward wing root, the K'Tinga's oriented fore and aft.

Both the BOP and the K'Tinga have external panels on their heads as well.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:55 PM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

^^ Regardless of the intent behind the design, I never really warmed to the Klingon BOP. Spaceships in the Trekverse have nacelles, dammit!
Old June 30 2013, 02:18 AM   #23
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Retu wrote: View Post
I remember when I first put a D7 model together (probably AMT), I wasn't satisfied with the color. So I painted it glossy black. It looks downright scary that way.
Back in the 1970s I built two AMT Klingon kits. The first one came molded in light gray plastic and looked very similar to the TV version. The second one, from much later in the decade, came molded in black. I was stunned; I don't recall the package announcing it. They just switched to black plastic.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:13 AM   #24
scotpens
Vice Admiral

^^ Kit manufacturers will often load their injection molding machines with whatever color plastic they have enough of at the time. I've seen different runs of the same car kit in white, gray, red, blue, and yellow plastic.

Never seen an AMT Klingon ship molded in black, though. Every copy I've had is a pale blue-gray.
Old June 30 2013, 03:16 AM   #25
Maurice
Vice Admiral

My first Klingon battlecruiser kit was black, too.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:41 AM   #26
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Mine was a shade of brown.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 04:27 AM   #27
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

For me, the weak spot is that grain silo on top of the primary hull....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 06:08 AM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Furthermore, the pivoting wings, wingtip-mounted weapons and lack of engine nacelles make the Klingon BOP look more like something from the Star Wars universe than Star Trek. Not surprising, since the miniature was designed and built by ILM.
Not just SW, but the overall ILM look of the 80s. If you see the ship that swallows THUNDER ROAD in EXPLORERS, it almost looks like somebody just tore the wings off the BoP. Same designer too. (I still have a hard time believing the spacedock interior isn't based on the JEDI DS2 reactor.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:42 AM   #29
Captain Rob
Commodore

My Klingon model back in the 70's was also black. With some parts in chrome. The ship looked really cool. You didn't have to even paint it.
Old June 30 2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Metryq
Captain

Wasn't Chekov saved with a Klingon battle cruiser model kit?