Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 27 2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Re: New questions

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Truly good questions the kids have been asking and I'm looking forward to many of their questions arising from "Wink of an Eye"...
Hopefully, one of them won't be, "Deela is brushing her hair and Kirk is putting his boots on. Why did he have his boots off?" But, knowing kids, it probably will be.
Old June 28 2013, 03:59 AM   #17
Shawnster
Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Either Bridge officers "do their business" prior to their work shift (with the help of 23rd Century medicine?) or can ask one of the other Bridge crew members (from secondary monitor stations) to take over for a few minutes, IMHO.
That would be a great scene!

Chekov: Permission to leave the bridge, Captain?
Kirk: What for?
Chekov: I have to take a dump, Sir.

There was a scene in Diane Carey's novel Dreadnaught where this actually happens. The main character asks Spock for permission to step below deck (or was it above deck?) for a moment.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 01:44 AM   #18
Lance
Fleet Captain

Talos wrote: View Post

I always liked the idea of there being one in that gangway around the TOS bridge though. It's a clever idea.
Me too. I also like how it actually gives the additional door on the bridge in TAS some purpose: it doesn't simply lead to a secondary turbolift, but instead leads to the gangway around the bridge that happens to contain various additional things (including the toilet). It's a logical addition, albeit one we never saw confirmed on-screen.

Alas, in TOS that door is missing, so we are left to theorize how they might access the gangway in the live-action Star Trek...

One other idea is that there are doors on the bridge which lead to the outer gangway, but which don't look overtly like doors, instead resembling wall panels. On some commercial airliners the areas in which the cabin crew sleep during long haul flights are in a door which is designed to look like a wall panel, which slides aside to allow access. It's less practical than TAS's secondary door, but is probably more asthetically pleasing in terms of the bridges contours.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 05:02 AM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
There was a scene in Diane Carey's novel Dreadnaught where this actually happens. The main character asks Spock for permission to step below deck (or was it above deck?) for a moment.
I believe the exact wording is "permission to step up-deck."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 06:05 AM   #20
Maurice
Vice Admiral

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
I remember reading an article (in either Parade magazine or the Saturday Evening Post) just before ST:TMP came out, which said that for the first time the controls on the bridge would be coordinated to certain effects: "So when Sulu switches to 'magnification ten,' he'll have to push the same button every time!"

So said the article (which I obviously read entirely too many times back in the day).
A bit of hyperbole in those articles. There were a few "practical" buttons on the Phase II/TMP set, but not so many. In fact, some of them were hidden buttons that the actor would push without the camera seeing. You can see a pair of them on the weapons and defense station, painted black (to the right of the "accordion" buttons and along the edge of the torpedo arming controls).
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...7/twok0452.jpg
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote