RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 508
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 27 2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: If VI had featured Saavik instead of Valeris as the traitor

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
But then there would be 3 different actresses to play Saavik in 3 movies.
The plan was for Alley to return as Saavik.

--Sran
Old June 27 2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sran wrote: View Post
USS Firefly wrote: View Post
But then there would be 3 different actresses to play Saavik in 3 movies.
The plan was for Alley to return as Saavik.

--Sran
The hope was for Alley to return as Saavik, but her salary demands combined with the film already having a troubled budget nixed that concept.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 04:34 PM   #33
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I liked Robin Curtis over Alley, but would of been fine with Alley coming back, but it should of been Savik, the feelings of the viewer would be more personal and reactions of the crew would of made more sense if this was beloved commrade and not new character we just met
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 07:44 PM   #34
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Plus, like 90% of her dialog was so clearly written for Saavik--in the same way all of Chekov and Scotty's dialog was clearly written for Bones and Spock ... err Data.
Old June 27 2013, 10:09 PM   #35
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I wouldn't have minded Kim Catrall as Saavik.
Old June 28 2013, 12:31 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wouldn't have minded Kim Catrall as Saavik.
But I couldn't blame Cattral for not wanting to be the third Saavik, thereby inviting comparisons to Alley and Curtis.
Old June 28 2013, 12:46 AM   #37
marksound
Fleet Captain

I don't think Alley or Curtis could have pulled off the mind meld scene as well as Cattrall did. In that scene I believed Spock was searching her mind and she was resisting as best she could.

Of the three I think Cattrall is the better actress.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 05:17 AM   #38
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Cattrall is pretty terrible in the role. Something about her tone of voice and smug demeanor really bug me. Add to that the fact that she's essentially a disposable character. Saavik simply makes more sense. Since Kirstie Alley was out of the film's price range, Nick Meyer should have just had Robin Curtis reprise the role and been done with it.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 12:36 PM   #39
xvicente
Commander

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Cattrall is pretty terrible in the role. Something about her tone of voice and smug demeanor really bug me.
Isn't this a treat of almost every Vulcan character? Nimoy played it cool, but every actor else seemed to interpret "no emotion" as "angry and barely holding it" and/or "I despise inferior humans" and "I'm not well adjusted at all but they'll lock me in if I let it out". Vulcans in Enterprise (the series) were the worse, but 24th century's too.

Except Mark Lenard. Sarek was cool.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 02:39 AM   #40
Lance
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote:
Plus, like 90% of her dialog was so clearly written for Saavik--in the same way all of Chekov and Scotty's dialog was clearly written for Bones and Spock
Totally. It seems to me that Meyer and co did nothing to really distinguish Valeris from Saavik aside from a few throwaway lines at the start of the movie and then changing her name on every page of the script. Cattral clearly worked very hard to try and make Valeris distinct from Saavik in her performance, which is to her credit. But it wasn't nearly enough to truly fight against what the script was trying to do.

Greg Cox wrote:
But I couldn't blame Cattral for not wanting to be the third Saavik, thereby inviting comparisons to Alley and Curtis.
This I do agree with to some extent, and again I appreciate Cattral's point-of-view in not wanting to simply reprise a role that had already been played by two other actresses. But the reality is that the script still had so many throwbacks to Saavik in TWOK -- the scene where Valeris questions Kirk's order to use impulse engines in spacedock is very Saavik -- that it almost invites us to make comparisons between them anyway.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 02:59 AM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain

Playing a Vulcan is extremely difficult as we've seen for nearly 50 years. To deliver dialog in a near deadpan and still be interesting must be extremely frustrating for an actor. To date, only two have pulled it off perfectly: Nimoy, who defined the Vulcan demeanor, and Mark Lenard. Others who were cast as Vulcans were at best trying to copy the two best examples.

Kirstie Alley, Robin Curtis, and Kim Cattrall did a very good job in their own way, but I liked Cattrall's take better than the other two. She was a Vulcan, but not just a reasonable facsimile of Spock. She was her own character. I think Nick Meyer was right on target wanting her for Saavik in the first place.

Too bad that he couldn't make it happen for TWOK, but then again maybe the timing was just right.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 07:25 AM   #42
Aldo
Admiral

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
Since Kirstie Alley was out of the film's price range, Nick Meyer should have just had Robin Curtis reprise the role and been done with it.
From what I recall Meyer didn't care for Curtis as Saavik at all. So that was never an option for him.
Old June 29 2013, 04:35 PM   #43
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Playing a Vulcan is extremely difficult as we've seen for nearly 50 years. To deliver dialog in a near deadpan and still be interesting must be extremely frustrating for an actor. To date, only two have pulled it off perfectly: Nimoy, who defined the Vulcan demeanor, and Mark Lenard. Others who were cast as Vulcans were at best trying to copy the two best examples.
You don't think Tim Russ was in the same league as Nimoy and Lenard?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 05:50 PM   #44
Sran
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
Not even close.

--Sran
Old June 29 2013, 06:30 PM   #45
nightwind1
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I do. I put him third behind Nimoy first and Lenard second.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote