RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,349
Posts: 5,354,537
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 687
Newest member: Cultiste

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 28 2013, 07:53 PM   #1
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant
 
QuarkforNagus's Avatar
 
Having a baby on Voyager?

Does anyone else think it's weird that B'Elanna and Tom are excited about having a kid on Voyager?

That ship is always in mortal danger.

I wonder if they would be looked at funny if they chose to have an abortion based on their current living situation.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

I think Tom and B'Elanna are well aware that a kid whose parents' names are in the opening credits is probably safe.

Kidding aside, B'Elanna seemed suprised when she found out she was pregnant, so I don't think they were planning on it.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
Does anyone else think it's weird that B'Elanna and Tom are excited about having a kid on Voyager?

That ship is always in mortal danger.

I wonder if they would be looked at funny if they chose to have an abortion based on their current living situation.
Oh yeah, kill the baby because there's the possibility it might die. That makes sense.

Or it simply could be that they're excited because they're having a kid regardless of the setting. If anything that excitement would override any imminent danger they're in. They can't do anything about that danger, they can do something about their family and they were.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant
 
QuarkforNagus's Avatar
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

I didn't mean to get into a senseless prolife bullshit debate...
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
I didn't mean to get into a senseless prolife bullshit debate...
I find it difficult to give that much credit being you're the one who brought it up. But I love how your first reaction is just to slander the opposing viewpoint. Your own derogatory expression seems to fit.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
I didn't mean to get into a senseless prolife bullshit debate...

If you don't want to get into a debate about religion, don't mention God or anything having to do with religion.

If you don't want to get into a debate about politics, don't mention anything having to do with politics.

If you don't want to get into a debate about prolife issues, don't mention abortion.

You opened the can, now the worms are free to dig.
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:23 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

I find it more difficult to believe that there was only one child concieved onboard Voyager. After all the voyage back to Earth could have been 70 years,
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant
 
QuarkforNagus's Avatar
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

Someone should abort B'Elanna. Then she wouldn't make everyone else have to deal with her self-hatred for her heritage.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
Someone should abort B'Elanna. Then she wouldn't make everyone else have to deal with her self-hatred for her heritage.
Someone should abort you.
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I find it more difficult to believe that there was only one child concieved onboard Voyager. After all the voyage back to Earth could have been 70 years,
While I agree with this point, from a standpoint of watching every week... it's not a bad thing. Trek kids generally just get annoying when on screen too much.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

Didn't Chuckles and Kathy talk about the possibility of Voyager being a generational ship in Elogium? I would not have minded seeing some kids born on Voyager, as long as they remained background characters like most of the kids on the Enterprise (except Wesley).
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant
 
QuarkforNagus's Avatar
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

I just don't see the point in arguing an issue that everyone here has probably already argued at some point. Nobody's opinion is going to change on the matter.

I was more wondering whether or not it still seems to be such a hot-button issue in Voyager times.

Obviously, you're not killing a "baby" because there's a possibility it might die. The child will eventually die, the way everyone does.

The question is, is it responsible to knowingly raise a child in the kind of environment where hostile aliens are regularly beaming themselves upon the ship and holding it hostage?

Can you provide the kind of socialization with children of the same age that people generally believe necessary to the healthy development of a human being? The same security? Will the crew treat you the same based on making either decision?
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:53 PM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

R. Star wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
I find it more difficult to believe that there was only one child concieved onboard Voyager. After all the voyage back to Earth could have been 70 years,
While I agree with this point, from a standpoint of watching every week... it's not a bad thing. Trek kids generally just get annoying when on screen too much.
You don't have to see them, a throwaway line or log entry just to say for example that one of the Delany sisters is expecting.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
I just don't see the point in arguing an issue that everyone here has probably already argued at some point. Nobody's opinion is going to change on the matter.

I was more wondering whether or not it still seems to be such a hot-button issue in Voyager times.

Obviously, you're not killing a "baby" because there's a possibility it might die. The child will eventually die, the way everyone does.

The question is, is it responsible to knowingly raise a child in the kind of environment where hostile aliens are regularly beaming themselves upon the ship and holding it hostage?

Can you provide the kind of socialization with children of the same age that people generally believe necessary to the healthy development of a human being? The same security? Will the crew treat you the same based on making either decision?
Ok, were Bajorans irresponsible for continuing to have children during the Cardassian occupation? Should they have just stopped reproducing and died out to prevent their kids ending up in work camps?

Should humans have stopped having kids after WWIII and the post-atmoic horror?

Should the crew of the Defiant not have had kids when they crashed on Gaia, alone and unprotected in the past?

Or how about the kids born on NX-01 in E²?

Sometimes you cannot raise your immediate offspring in the most ideal environment, but you do the best you can and hope it will be better for your grandchildren.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 09:06 PM   #15
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant
 
QuarkforNagus's Avatar
 
Re: Having a baby on Voyager?

I, personally, do not have an opinion on that. I've found myself wondering, regularly, why people continued to procreate during slavery in the US, for example (aside from cases of rape).

I don't know if the Bajoran example applies in this situation. In some sense, procreation was necessary to maintain the cultural legacy of their people. I don't know that the crew of Voyager can claim the same utilitarian purpose.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.