USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 27 2013, 06:05 AM   #16
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Family Friendly Countries.

I'm curious about the charting on "Is smoking banned in schools?" For America it says no law, but that's obviously not true. I mean, most places you can't even smoke in bars, and you certainly can't in schools.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 11:22 AM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Question them is that because there is a State or Federal law banning smoking, or because the school/college/university/bar etc... have implemented their own ban?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Third Nacelle
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Question them is that because there is a State or Federal law banning smoking, or because the school/college/university/bar etc... have implemented their own ban?
It varies from state to state, and within states it varies from city to city. Here in Virginia restaurants and bars can technically still allow smoking, but the law says there has to be a non smoking section completely separated from the smoking section and with a separate ventilation system. Very few places meet that requirement.

I remember up until I was in third grade, teachers could smoke in the corridors. Then the local law changed and they could only smoke in the teacher's lounge. Years later in high school, they were banished to the parking lot. Now, as I understand it, they have to leave school grounds altogether to smoke. These were all city ordinances that came a year or two before similar state laws.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 08:10 PM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

IndyJones wrote: View Post
I'm curious about the charting on "Is smoking banned in schools?" For America it says no law, but that's obviously not true. I mean, most places you can't even smoke in bars, and you certainly can't in schools.
I figured it meant "on school grounds."
Old June 27 2013, 11:54 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
It varies from state to state, and within states it varies from city to city. Here in Virginia restaurants and bars can technically still allow smoking, but the law says there has to be a non smoking section completely separated from the smoking section and with a separate ventilation system. Very few places meet that requirement.

I remember up until I was in third grade, teachers could smoke in the corridors. Then the local law changed and they could only smoke in the teacher's lounge. Years later in high school, they were banished to the parking lot. Now, as I understand it, they have to leave school grounds altogether to smoke. These were all city ordinances that came a year or two before similar state laws.
So it's not like in the UK where smoking is banned in all enclosed public spaces.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 28 2013, 12:07 AM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

So it's not like in the UK where smoking is banned in all enclosed public spaces.
Some states yes, some states no. There is no national law, only local ones.
Old June 28 2013, 03:09 AM   #22
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I felt like a lot of the questions provided misleading results for the US, since our laws on these issues tend to be state-focused rather than federal. I would say that at least half of the answers given for the US do not match what is law where I live. The US just isn't that homogenous and so the results in this study are not really conveying the true situation.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 06:16 AM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I felt like a lot of the questions provided misleading results for the US, since our laws on these issues tend to be state-focused rather than federal. I would say that at least half of the answers given for the US do not match what is law where I live. The US just isn't that homogenous and so the results in this study are not really conveying the true situation.
I was about to post something similar. I got to the smoking question and when it said no law in the US, I was surprised. I think a lot of what these maps don't consider is the various provinces and states/cities have their own laws (And in the US, that's specified in the 9th and 10th amendments). Smoking may not be banned on a national level, but I've never seen schools allow smoking. Also, being in California, it's a state law that in bars/restaurants or just general public gathering areas, you can't smoke in those buildings. That's not the case in Nevada.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; June 28 2013 at 08:40 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:30 AM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

But isn't it just giving an overview, the map is showing countries as a whole. So whilst it might vary from state to state in the US, as a whole the US has no law in place to say ban smoking in certain places.
Old June 28 2013, 08:39 AM   #25
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

But isn't it just giving an overview, the map is showing countries as a whole. So whilst it might vary from state to state in the US, as a whole the US has no law in place to say ban smoking in certain places.
But this thread is about Family Friendly countries and the data that those maps provide are inconclusive at best.
Old June 28 2013, 08:52 AM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

Inconclusive for all countries or just the US?
Old June 28 2013, 04:26 PM   #27
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Inconclusive for all countries or just the US?
I'm assuming all countries, but I don't know various countries' laws like I do for the US.
Old June 28 2013, 07:56 PM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'd say pretty inconclusive, at least in terms of Canada. I think for this to be effective, they need to have a second map that shows by province/state. Sometimes there isn't anything on a national level because it's left to provinces/states. A good example is gun laws, where one state might be strict while another lax, but with nothing yet on a national level. Focusing on a national level gives an incomplete picture and ends up generalizing things too much and skews the results.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:19 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

But do most of the countries regulate these ata national level or a regional level. I suspect it would be the former. So it might not be 100% accurate but that doesn't mean it's inacurate overall.
Old June 28 2013, 08:26 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think, and I've thought this before, that a lot of the world doesn't really have a good grasp on just how large the US is. We have 50 fairly independent states, many of which are larger than a lot of other countries. So many of the laws in this country vary from state to state because simply have no federal regulation for them.