Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 22 2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: Big Brother

^^ Pretty much describes the American version as well.
Old June 23 2013, 01:53 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The American version is different from the other versions. (As far as I know) most versions of Big Brother are like US Big Brother season 1 where the viewers totally determine who leaves.

US Big Brother is like a badly cast, wussy version of Survivor.

Heh, Spot, can you give some specific examples of manipulative editing? I've read the 'controversy' section of the Wikipedia page and the only one listed there is when they apparently tried to manipulate Ian in the diary room last season.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The American version is different from the other versions. (As far as I know) most versions of Big Brother are like US Big Brother season 1 where the viewers totally determine who leaves.

US Big Brother is like a badly cast, wussy version of Survivor.
Yes, in I think almost all international versions of BB (except for the new BB Canada) the public votes for who is evicted. That clearly didn't work in the first season of BBUS, so I'm glad they changed the rules.

And I would say that because of this difference the BBUS version is less trashy, because the focus is more on strategy and alliances rather than just a straight up popularity contest. I guess it depends on why you watch, but I watch for the psychological aspects of it, which you can't find in any other show on TV (well there's Survivor, but we don't get to see them scheming 24/7). And hey, at least they haven't had any celebrity versions!

Heh, Spot, can you give some specific examples of manipulative editing? I've read the 'controversy' section of the Wikipedia page and the only one listed there is when they apparently tried to manipulate Ian in the diary room last season.
Well my memory sucks, so I'm probably forgetting most of the great examples, but for instance Brendon was a completely different person on feeds than on the episodes. If the regular viewing audience had watched feeds there is no way they would have voted him back in that second season. Biggest douchebag ever and a little abusive towards Rachel. Another example is Shelly. For the first two months of the show the episodes didn't show any of her scheming and strategizing, they just stuck her in the mom role, but those watching the feeds know that she was very manipulative and strategic from the beginning.

So it's things like that...there are viewers who go further and say that the diary room producers actually put words in the houseguests' mouths, but I doubt it's that blatant, because they don't need to be. They can simply pick and choose your footage so that you appear to be a certain way, when really there is a whole different side to you that might turn off the voting public if they knew about it.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:13 PM   #19
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Okay, so it's more about telling the narrative they want, not about manipulating the results of the votes most of the time? That's not as bad.

Although I know Jeff was openly homophobic in the feeds. Something along the lines of 'Dumbledore shouldn't be headmaster of a school because he's gay'. No way he would have gotten on Amazing Race if that was broadcast. Jeff & Jordan were probably the most hatable Amazing Race team of all time.

I'm only willing to watch shows like this because I really like games, so I make the effort to filter out the annoying stuff and just watch for the strategic aspect. Just, all the people who call their opponents Satan for trying to win are insufferable and when there are too many of them they make the show unwatchable.
Old June 23 2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Okay, so it's more about telling the narrative they want, not about manipulating the results of the votes most of the time? That's not as bad.
That's my opinion, that it's more a manipulation of the audience's emotions rather than an actual manipulation of the votes, but like I said there are also those who do think that nothing at all is real and the producers have a hand in everything. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 26 2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Danny99
Vice Admiral

So tonight's the big night and I have some opening night predictions:

First MVP - David
First To Go Home - Howard
Final Two - Nick/Kaitlin
Winner - Nick

From what I read, I'll be pulling for Nick, Kaitlin, Judd, McRae and Spencer, but we have to see how that changes after tonight.
Old June 27 2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Danny99
Vice Admiral

- God, David is a meathead.
- Andy is this year’s gay stereotype. When does he have his break down? I had made it clear in previous seasons that they need to ditch this effeminate gay stereotype. I would love if just once they could find a gay man who didn’t fall into it.
- Seeing Rachel wanted to make me throw up. Luckily we have her clones in Gina Marie and Elissa.
- Jessie – “Girls are jealous of me….” = Instablock
- I’ve never really realized how fake and staged these introductions are until now.
- Judd looks like he’s one step below literate.
- Definitely pulling for Spencer, McCrae, and to a lesser extent Nick.
- The “Cherokee” needs to tone that down or we’ll be seeing some lawsuits.
- Have you ever met a more vain group of women in your life?
Old June 27 2013, 06:10 AM   #23
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm in the middle of watching it on cbs.com now.

I'm optimistic so far. The only houseguest I actively dislike so far is Ginamarie. She is annoying and I just know the first time somebody nominates her or anyone she likes she's going to throw tantrums. And shut up about Statten Island. I'm from Boston and you don't see me going around talking about Hahvid Yahd.

And David allows me to compare him to the SNL sketch "The Californians" all summer, which is fun to do.

Jeremy is an idiot, why would anyone want to be singled out as the person with privileges?

I like Howard and Spencer so I'm very happy they immediately allied and some of the other people seem entertaining. Nick seems like he's going to be a challenge monster. Heck, he seems like he belongs more on American Ninja Warrior than Big Brother.

Speaking of which I'm more excited about NBC's monday block, American Ninja Warrior and Get Out Alive. I liked that show a couple summers ago that was like Amazing Race except more physically demanding (The one with the Gypsys), and Get Out Alive seems like that show.
Old June 27 2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Interesting first episode. Jessie was the biggest surprise for me, she seemed so sweet in her pre-show interviews. I've been watching the feeds and I just have to say, the girls this year are catty as hell. It's actually really annoying to watch. Also, Jeremy clearly doesn't know how to play this game at all. He is convinced that America will vote for MVP based on who wins the most competitions...why don't you see how that works for you.

There seem to be several loose alliances happening at the moment. Most of the houseguests have already started to annoy me within just 24 hours . Amanda especially seems to need to be the center of attention, and thinks she's hilarious. Helen, Andy, McCrae, and Judd are my favorites.

Oh, some information for those who REALLY want to be spoiled....

—T.S. Eliot
Old June 28 2013, 03:00 AM   #25
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Maybe I missed this during the episode, but is the MVP immune from nomination? I would think that getting MVP and letting it be known would be a great way of getting a target put on one's back, although it does seem that the houseguests are never smart enough to evict the strongest players when they have the chance.

Speaking of not being smart enough to evict strong (and very annoying) players, Rachel's sister has got to go.
Jptrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 03:25 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The MVP is secret. You make your nomination in the diary room and they reveal it right before the veto. If I were MVP I'd nominate the enemy of the person I wanted out.

I haven't seen the live feeds, but based on the show Elissa hasn't done anything that annoys me. And Rachel had some annoying moments, but (I didn't watch her second season) in her first season she was less annoying than the other people in the house, and an Amazing Race she's 10x more likable than her wussy partner.

Why do they keep giving Jeff work? First they cover up his blatantly homophobic comments on the live feed, then they make him the worst team in Amazing Race history (Even less likable than Colin), now they're giving him the jobs they're supposed to give charming people.
Old June 28 2013, 04:19 AM   #27
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

What do you mean when you say they weren't a likeable Amazing Race team? I wasn't a huge Jeff and Jordan fan on Big Brother, but I liked them as a team on Amazing Race and felt bad about the way they went out.

Anyway, yes, the MVP can still be nominated and voted out.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 28 2013, 06:02 AM   #28
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I miss Big Brother After Dark on Showtime, it was like having the feeds in giving a much better handle on the houseguests. It's actually on the TV Guide Channel(!) now but it's not quite the same as it appears to be censored, not to mention an hour shorter and filled with TV Guide listings.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 01:39 AM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
What do you mean when you say they weren't a likeable Amazing Race team? I wasn't a huge Jeff and Jordan fan on Big Brother, but I liked them as a team on Amazing Race and felt bad about the way they went out.

Anyway, yes, the MVP can still be nominated and voted out.
On Amazing Race, Jordan was an airhead and Jeff was a domineering douche constantly desperate for attention. You know how I said David makes me want to imitate the SNL sketch "The Caliornians"? Jeff and Jordan made me imitate 'Two a-holes'.
Old June 30 2013, 04:30 PM   #30
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Jeff and Jordan are the new post-All Star season Kaysar and Janelle. The majority of fans love them, but we see them so much they begin to grate on the nerves. Like Boston Rob and Amber did for a time.