RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,392
Posts: 5,505,322
Members: 25,129
Currently online: 389
Newest member: oorang

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 25 2013, 06:08 PM   #76
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
With all due respect to Enterprise, if there was a new series, I want to see it with the Abrams cast. We barely know them and waiting for new material every 4 years sucks. Trek really does belong on TV (Netflix or regular) though.
Not too terribly likely to happen. CBS issues aside, Pine and company are becoming bigger names. Pine signed a deal to do some Tom Clancy movies recently that's worth eight figures for example. Why anchor yourself to doing a series for a few years when you got huge contracts for 2-3 hour movies falling into your lap? Quinto's not far behind in salary demands and the rest aren't exactly cheap either.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 06:57 PM   #77
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

R. Star wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
With all due respect to Enterprise, if there was a new series, I want to see it with the Abrams cast. We barely know them and waiting for new material every 4 years sucks. Trek really does belong on TV (Netflix or regular) though.
Not too terribly likely to happen. CBS issues aside, Pine and company are becoming bigger names. Pine signed a deal to do some Tom Clancy movies recently that's worth eight figures for example. Why anchor yourself to doing a series for a few years when you got huge contracts for 2-3 hour movies falling into your lap? Quinto's not far behind in salary demands and the rest aren't exactly cheap either.
That's true. Might as well think about doing an entirely new cast after this current cast runs it's course (And I'm thinking that will likely happen after the third movie). I just want Trek back on TV, and put it in the Abrams universe. Let's expand what is new instead of going back to what's old.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now  
Old June 25 2013, 07:01 PM   #78
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

R. Star wrote: View Post
Not too terribly likely to happen. CBS issues aside, Pine and company are becoming bigger names. Pine signed a deal to do some Tom Clancy movies recently that's worth eight figures for example. Why anchor yourself to doing a series for a few years when you got huge contracts for 2-3 hour movies falling into your lap? Quinto's not far behind in salary demands and the rest aren't exactly cheap either.
That's not really a problem. The characters could be recast again with lesser-known, cheaper-priced actors. That's what happened with M*A*S*H, and look what happened with that. Plus they'd already have the sets, props, CGI models, etc. from the films. An AbramsTrek show would be financially feasible that way.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 07:52 PM   #79
Aatrek
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Braga may have brought the idea up in the interview, but who is to say that Braga and company would even be involved in a 5th season? Just because people have moved on to other things doesn't mean that a 5th season couldn't happen.
He and Berman would need to be consulted at least on a financial level - as "creators" of the show and the characters, any future productions would require their credits and he'd have to get paid royalties. You can bet he would know about that.
Aatrek is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 08:22 PM   #80
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Aatrek wrote: View Post
Ahem. This is from a month and a half ago, and since he's the one who brought the Netflix idea up in the TrekCore interview in the first place, I would believe him.

Braga may have brought the idea up in the interview, but who is to say that Braga and company would even be involved in a 5th season? Just because people have moved on to other things doesn't mean that a 5th season couldn't happen.

Look at Arrested Development as a prime example. The entire cast returned for season 4, and almost all of the actors had other projects in development, yet still were able to be part of the series. Not everyone who worked "behind the scenes" during seasons 1-3 returned for season 4, as many had moved on to other projects. If anything, Enterprise should have some new blood working behind the scenes to keep it fresh.

Schedule wise, there is certainly more freedom to produce a series for Netflix, then there would be for network televison. As long as the Enterprise actors are willing to be a part of it, it doesn't really matter who helms the season. If some people have moved on to other projects, you simply find new people to replace them.
And Netflix said Arrested Development nearly didn't happen because of scheduling difficulties and there won't be another season as a result. Bringing people back together after this much time is difficult. If you're Netflix, why even go through the effort for the lowest rated Trek series? Better to build off the movies, TNG, or a clean start.
AviTrek is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 08:30 PM   #81
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

AviTrek wrote: View Post
And Netflix said Arrested Development nearly didn't happen because of scheduling difficulties and there won't be another season as a result. Bringing people back together after this much time is difficult. If you're Netflix, why even go through the effort for the lowest rated Trek series? Better to build off the movies, TNG, or a clean start.
Actually, Netflix just announced that they would love to produce a 5th season of Arrested Development.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflix-ju...videos-2013-06

http://www.webpronews.com/arrested-d...+Index+Feed%29

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...ment-season-5/
Captain Atkin is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 08:58 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Yet you completely ignore that Braga would know if there was a fifth season as he would have to be compensated as co-creator.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 09:20 PM   #83
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
With all due respect to Enterprise, if there was a new series, I want to see it with the Abrams cast. We barely know them and waiting for new material every 4 years sucks. Trek really does belong on TV (Netflix or regular) though.
Not too terribly likely to happen. CBS issues aside, Pine and company are becoming bigger names. Pine signed a deal to do some Tom Clancy movies recently that's worth eight figures for example. Why anchor yourself to doing a series for a few years when you got huge contracts for 2-3 hour movies falling into your lap? Quinto's not far behind in salary demands and the rest aren't exactly cheap either.
That's true. Might as well think about doing an entirely new cast after this current cast runs it's course (And I'm thinking that will likely happen after the third movie). I just want Trek back on TV, and put it in the Abrams universe. Let's expand what is new instead of going back to what's old.
Really? I'd define the JJverse as going back to what's old and putting a new face on it. I'd love to see a new Trek series... hey why not set it a 100 years in the future... that seemed to work pretty well for some show called TNG.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Not too terribly likely to happen. CBS issues aside, Pine and company are becoming bigger names. Pine signed a deal to do some Tom Clancy movies recently that's worth eight figures for example. Why anchor yourself to doing a series for a few years when you got huge contracts for 2-3 hour movies falling into your lap? Quinto's not far behind in salary demands and the rest aren't exactly cheap either.
That's not really a problem. The characters could be recast again with lesser-known, cheaper-priced actors. That's what happened with M*A*S*H, and look what happened with that. Plus they'd already have the sets, props, CGI models, etc. from the films. An AbramsTrek show would be financially feasible that way.
That's a good point with the MASH cast. Really the main thing going against a Trek show is the fact that everyone has a minimum of 100 channels at their disposal at anytime unlike the 90's when Trek was at it's prime. That and CBS doesn't want to roll the dice as it were anyways. I guess from a financial standpoint it makes some sense. They're making money anyways just with the title to the franchise in hand without spending anything beyond BluRay conversions that make them more money.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 09:56 PM   #84
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yet you completely ignore that Braga would know if there was a fifth season as he would have to be compensated as co-creator.
I'm not ignoring that fact. At the end of the day, the studio could decide on their own to move forward without him, if he is busy working on other projects. They own the rights to Star Trek; not Braga. If Braga is entitled to money for being a co-creator of Enterprise, then they would compensate him, but they wouldn't need his blessing to produce a new series.
Captain Atkin is offline  
Old June 26 2013, 02:26 PM   #85
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

No they don't need his blessing, they just need to give him and Berman some compensation, which is one of the several reasons CBS is not going to do this.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline  
Old June 27 2013, 10:16 PM   #86
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
At the end of the day, the studio could decide on their own to move forward without him, if he is busy working on other projects. They own the rights to Star Trek; not Braga. If Braga is entitled to money for being a co-creator of Enterprise, then they would compensate him, but they wouldn't need his blessing to produce a new series.
It seems to me amidst all the hopes that Enterprise might return on Netflix is something obvious being neglected: If the studio wanted to continue Enterprise, they would simply have done so. They don't need money. They don't need distribution. They don't need Netflix.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline  
Old June 28 2013, 10:41 PM   #87
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
It seems to me amidst all the hopes that Enterprise might return on Netflix is something obvious being neglected: If the studio wanted to continue Enterprise, they would simply have done so. They don't need money. They don't need distribution. They don't need Netflix.
Studios exist to make money. Netflix has 29.2 million U.S. subscribers, which is far more than the 21.9 million TV subscribers that leading cable provider Comcast Corp has. Netflix has already reshaped home entertainment. Arrested Development has been a big success for them, and they have recently said that they would like to bring other cancelled shows back that had fan followings. Enterprise certainly has a fan following, and it also has name recognition from being a "Star Trek" series. It would bring in the fans, and in turn, help lure more subscribers to Netflix.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; June 28 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Captain Atkin is offline  
Old June 29 2013, 12:13 AM   #88
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
It seems to me amidst all the hopes that Enterprise might return on Netflix is something obvious being neglected: If the studio wanted to continue Enterprise, they would simply have done so. They don't need money. They don't need distribution. They don't need Netflix.
Studios exist to make money. Netflix has 29.2 million U.S. subscribers, which is far more than the 21.9 million TV subscribers that leading cable provider Comcast Corp has. Netflix has already reshaped home entertainment. Arrested Development has been a big success for them, and they have recently said that they would like to bring other cancelled shows back that had fan followings. Enterprise certainly has a fan following, and it also has name recognition from being a "Star Trek" series. It would bring in the fans, and in turn, help lure more subscribers to Netflix.
I think the difference comes down to cost. Does Netflix want to sink that much money into a property that was gasping as it crossed the finish line?

Couple that with the fact that Arrested Development and Enterprise are entirely different animals. An Arrested fourth season will be seen by many as something unique to watch (and cheap to produce), season twenty-nine of Trek not-so-much (and expensive to produce).

And CBS would likely rather sell to cable providers than Netflix anyway. While Netflix may have more subscribers than the largest cable operator, CBS could sell the show to more than one cable operator at a time.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline  
Old July 1 2013, 04:01 PM   #89
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

Enterprise is too expensive for Netflix, its a simple as that. It's 3 original shows now are a fraction of the cost of what Enterprise would be to make. CBS is not going to return to the past, it will make a new Star Trek series at some point that may or may not reference past Trek.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline  
Old July 2 2013, 01:40 AM   #90
pookha
Admiral
 
pookha's Avatar
 
Location: pookha
View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: Drexler's Bring Enterprise To Netflix Campaign

enterprise may have had better ratings then many suspect. back then only the Wednesday night showing was counted. not the weekend showings or dvr. now both would have been taken into account. I saw where the weekend showing often got far better ratings then the Wednesday showing. the cast even put it out for people to watch the Wednesday night show.
I am sure if Netflix was interested they could find this out.
an enterprise mini series set toward the end of the romulan war start of federation might be popular enough.
and enterprise has added on fans. some have given it a second look and have seen it got a lot better.
__________________
avatar by
?
pookha is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.