Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

^Humor. It is a difficult concept.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 01:02 AM   #77
Sran
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Humor. It is a difficult concept.
I understand the joke. It's not funny.

--Sran
Old June 24 2013, 10:41 PM   #78
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

We learn by doing.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:04 AM   #79
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Who's been holding up the damn elevator?

--Sran
Old June 25 2013, 01:48 AM   #80
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Sran wrote: View Post
^Who's been holding up the damn elevator?

--Sran
I'm surprised that someone hasn't leap on that line stating that Meyer had no respect for Trek, as McCoy should have said "turbolift"!

Yeah, I'm kidding, but you know that someone, somewhere out there, has thought it!

Quickly back to the point at hand, we have to remember that TWOK used the Ceti Alpha V/VI mistaken-identity as just a throw-away line to get Khan into the action. How else could you get a Federation starship to pick up Khan and his followers?

Any way they did it, you would still have people thirty years later complaining it was a plot-hole as surely there would have been some huge red-flag in Starfleet's computer database indicating going to Ceti-Alpha V was a big no-no.

We can only assume that for some reason Ceti-Alpha V may have been red-flagged, but the Ceti-Alpha system as a whole wasn't, a screw-up on Kirk's part.
Old June 25 2013, 03:40 AM   #81
Christopher
Writer

I've always felt it was entirely in character for the old-fashioned McCoy to call them elevators.

Old June 25 2013, 08:05 PM   #82
Sran
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've always felt it was entirely in character for the old-fashioned McCoy to call them elevators.
As do I. And it's not as though it isn't clear what he's talking about.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 01:38 PM   #83
xvicente
Commander

I removed one planet from one of these pictures. See how easy it is to notice the missing planet.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 01:46 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, right -- because we all know that Starfleet has never heard of computers and all their sensor analysis is done with the naked eye.

Heck, even if that were true, astronomers have been detecting subtle changes between successive photographs for centuries. That's a keystone of observational astronomy, and it's how thousands of discoveries have been made. What may not be evident to the layperson would stick out like a sore thumb to any trained astronomer.

Old June 26 2013, 03:16 PM   #85
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

There's more to spatial navigation than picking a star and counting the number of planets on the way in. It seems pretty obvious that when a starship plots a course to a planet, the procedure would likely include determining where in its orbit the planet is going to be at a given time so they can intercet. For example, when Sulu plots a course to a destinaton, he uses a set of coordinates. If nobody has been there before, they could just set a course to the solar system in general and then plot from there.

However, since the Enterprise has been to the Ceti Alpha system, it would have been catalogued and very specific information should be in the Starfleet database. They would have enough information to determine the coordinates of each planet and the numbers would be the same no matter what angle you approach them from (so they wouldn't be counting planets as they approached). Reliant should get to where Ceti Alpha 6 was supposed to be and see that it's no longer there. To use a Star Wars example, when Han Solo came out of hyperspace at Alderaan, there was nothing left but fragments. However, his coordinates took him to where the planet should have been. That is pretty much how it should have worked for The Reliant.

The story implication is that the explosion moved Ceti Alpha 5 into the exact orbit of Ceti Alpha 6. This is ridiculous. Adding to this, as stated upthread, there is no debris or any evidence that such a cataclysm has taken place. This is insane and almost inexcusable.

I say "almost" because there only possible explanation I can think of is that Chekov plotted the course himself, mistakenly and/or subconsciously chosing Ceti Alpha 5. Human error, particularly in Chekov, is always possible. A ship coming out of warp at the proper coordinates might not be paying attention to the rest of the system. However, since this weak explanation was not in the script, it's still a pretty sizable hole.
Old June 27 2013, 12:48 AM   #86
xvicente
Commander

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Human error, particularly in Chekov, is always possible.

It's in my personal canon that the creature crawled out of his ear out of hunger.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:51 AM   #87
Sran
Fleet Captain

xvicente wrote:
It's in my personal canon that the creature crawled out of his ear out of hunger.

--Sran
Old June 27 2013, 09:27 PM   #88
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

xvicente wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Human error, particularly in Chekov, is always possible.

A little harsh - after TWOK he became a well-rounded person, with his own friends, credit cars and keys...
Old June 27 2013, 09:35 PM   #89
Sran
Fleet Captain

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
A little harsh - after TWOK he became a well-rounded person, with his own friends, credit cars and keys...
Not harsh at all. Chekov was by far the weakest link of that group. Whether he was getting zapped by a discharge from V'Ger or falling off of an aircraft carrier, he was always finding ways to get himself in trouble.

--Sran
Old June 28 2013, 12:33 AM   #90
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
And yet him and George still had to share Melllvar's fan-script...