New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Eternal Tide.
Outstanding 82 49.40%
Above Average 50 30.12%
Average 27 16.27%
Below Average 2 1.20%
Poor 5 3.01%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12 2013, 09:29 AM   #571
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Do we have any hints as to when the next one will come out?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 12:02 PM   #572
tomswift2002
Captain

The next Voyager book is still a year away. It's not scheduled til 2014.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:13 AM   #573
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Maybe a little less than a year now. I don't have a hard date but my sense was always early 2014. I'm actually just days away now from finishing the MS...then a few weeks to polish before sending it off and starting the editing process.

Best,
Kirsten
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:30 AM   #574
Mage
Commodore

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post
Maybe a little less than a year now. I don't have a hard date but my sense was always early 2014. I'm actually just days away now from finishing the MS...then a few weeks to polish before sending it off and starting the editing process.

Best,
Kirsten
That's good news!
Old April 14 2013, 09:18 PM   #575
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post

Best,
Kirsten
Awesome! Can't wait
Old June 27 2013, 12:32 AM   #576
Charles Phipps
Commander

I just read this book myself.

There's a lot of parts I loved, but there's others I had severe issues.

Still, some great stuff.
Old June 27 2013, 12:42 AM   #577
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post

5. I'm also not pleased at Janeway reflecting on "Sacred Ground" having a scientific explanation when that was obviously just the Doctor grasping at straws.
I don't recall any ambiguity about that scene... having watched it recently, I remember the Doctor being quite confident about the conclusions he reached. I suppose it's open to interpretation, though.
Old June 27 2013, 12:52 AM   #578
Charles Phipps
Commander

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
I don't recall any ambiguity about that scene... having watched it recently, I remember the Doctor being quite confident about the conclusions he reached. I suppose it's open to interpretation, though.
The Doctor was like, "Eureka, this is what happened!" However, Janeway has a thoughtful look on her face. Also, there's no way that the locals could have known anything about what occurred or would have occurred. The book seemed to treat it similar to Janeway discovering how a magic trick worked and I didn't get that vibe at all.

Still, I had good vibes about the book from many locations. I just felt bad about losing so many good characters.
Old June 27 2013, 01:18 AM   #579
Christopher
Writer

The scientific explanation was not "obviously the Doctor grasping at straws." Star Trek is a secular universe where everything has a scientific explanation; moreover, it's a humanist universe, meaning that there's nothing ultimately beyond the comprehension of the human/sentient mind, just stuff we haven't figured out yet. It would've been going too far if Janeway had actually been converted to a supernatural belief. What's significant about "Sacred Ground" is that it got Janeway to consider the possibility. Her reaction at the end isn't really about the phenomenon itself or one explanation or the other for it; her reaction is about herself, about how the events of the episode affected her way of thinking. Much like Sisko vis-a-vis the Prophets, she hasn't rejected scientific explanations, but has opened her mind to the possibility that the difference between a scientific explanation and a spiritual one may be more a matter of interpretation than of right vs. wrong. For a little while, she was able to think like a religious person, to take a leap of faith, and it gave her more understanding and respect for that way of thinking.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:56 AM   #580
Charles Phipps
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
The scientific explanation was not "obviously the Doctor grasping at straws." Star Trek is a secular universe where everything has a scientific explanation; moreover, it's a humanist universe, meaning that there's nothing ultimately beyond the comprehension of the human/sentient mind, just stuff we haven't figured out yet. It would've been going too far if Janeway had actually been converted to a supernatural belief.
I don't think she should have either. Primarily because, well really, it's a pretty horrible method of conversion to have the life of a valued team member hanging over the balance when you're evangelising.

My interpretation of the episode, however, was that it was a statement about faith in general rather than supernatural faith. There's plenty of inexplicable things in science and attributing them to religion is lazy thinking, I say that as a religious person. However, I do think the episode went out of its way to point out that something terribly WEIRD was going on and not easily explained.

For me, I thought the episode was having the Doctor's explanation come off as too "patt" when there was a lot more going on than just a few energy fields interacting. I'm not saying its religious, but I think it was an interesting episode for suggesting thinking outside the box. I guess, for me, Janeway should have stated "something weird happened there but I needed more info to really dissect it."

Then again, I'm the kind of guy who thinks even if Apollo was a god, phasers would work against him.

Old June 27 2013, 03:53 AM   #581
Charles Phipps
Commander

But yes, I feel bad for Amanda Rogers loss.

The book opened with such a strong characterization of her and QJunior.

Great writing that.
Old June 27 2013, 08:45 PM   #582
Charles Phipps
Commander

Old July 2 2013, 07:04 AM   #583
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Hi Charles,

I'm glad you enjoyed many parts of the book. Regarding your specific issues...I've removed the spoiler tags because really, ten months later....

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post

1. The summary killing of Amanda Rogers, when she and Q2 were so cute is TERRIBLE.

2. The destruction of the Cooperative is such a disappointment to me since I've been hoping to see them in the Novelverse for years.

3. Furthermore, they're just rushed off stage afterward. What the hey!

4. Why didn't the book reflect more on Janeway's resurrection versus the B-plot? Having her come to terms with everything that happened with the Borg in Destiny seems like it'd be a pretty big deal.

5. I'm also not pleased at Janeway reflecting on "Sacred Ground" having a scientific explanation when that was obviously just the Doctor grasping at straws.

Yes, Amanda's death was terrible. It was supposed to be terrible.

Re: the Cooperative....I didn't actually destroy them...The Caeliar absorbed them in Destiny...all but the 47 who chose to remain behind to care for the children. As to them being rushed off the stage...well, not every plot that is introduced is resolved entirely in every book I write. This happens for a lot of reasons...usually because I know where it's going eventually and I am as certain as it is possible to be that I will have the opportunity later to complete it. Sometimes, it's just not possible to do everything in one book. This is one of those times.

Re: Janeway coming to terms with the repercussions of her past decisions....well, again, that is a big process and one that would never have fit neatly into TET. We see the beginning, because that's all we have time for here. The next steps on that long journey begin in the next book.

Re: Sacred Ground...what Christopher said. Full stop.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 04:55 PM   #584
Scout101
Admiral

Maybe I'm looking at it from a different direction, but thought the Amanda death was terrible for other reasons. As in, we didn't even realize she had died until later, when it was explained what was going on, and then you just sorta figure out that she really DID die, and that was it, no further mention. Wasn't really any emotion or sense of loss, as you didn't realize that was IT until later on, and then she didn't come up again.

Felt like it needed SOMETHING more at the time to highlight the danger of what was going on. She just went to explore it, and end of story. Didn't need a long drawn out death scene, but didn't really have the impact on me that I felt it deserved.

A lot of who lived and who died coming out of the anomaly felt kinda abritrary in this one. Tough when you're dealing with Q and essentially magic, I guess, but lessens the impact of the deaths when you just give some a do-over at random by the end.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #585
Charles Phipps
Commander

Yes, Amanda's death was terrible. It was supposed to be terrible.
You have no one but yourself to blame since I strongly disliked the character then you wrote her so I liked her.

That's terrible and shame on you.

Re: the Cooperative....I didn't actually destroy them...The Caeliar absorbed them in Destiny...all but the 47 who chose to remain behind to care for the children. As to them being rushed off the stage...well, not every plot that is introduced is resolved entirely in every book I write. This happens for a lot of reasons...usually because I know where it's going eventually and I am as certain as it is possible to be that I will have the opportunity later to complete it. Sometimes, it's just not possible to do everything in one book. This is one of those times.
I understand, I just felt that it was a lot of build-up and was privately hoping they still existed. Discovering they were the C-plot, so to speak, was sort of disappointing since I felt they'd be a big possible story and a tie-in to Destiny.

Thank you, anyway, for doing this book and I look forward to more of your works.