Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 26 2013, 09:42 PM   #2461
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Tuesday number: $479,917 for $217,649,868 so far.
Worldwide: $431,049,868
Old June 26 2013, 09:59 PM   #2462
Belz...
Fleet Captain

sonak wrote: View Post
So what did you mean by "take off" or "become a joke?"
In the former case, led to move movies, whereas the last two Batman flicks resulted in zero. And in the latter case, everybody laughed at them. Franchises that are poorly regarded by people, not critics, become financial failures. Besides, even in the heyday of Supes and Batman, they were pretty much the only two around. What X-Men showed is that the genre was commercially viable again.

EDIT: and the last movie of each franchise, Superman and Batman, lost money.

How does one rate the success or failure of a big-budget comic book movie if not by box office?
Box office is short-term success, sure. Viability, the long-term success, is trickier.
Old June 26 2013, 10:09 PM   #2463
Vyse
Lieutenant

RAMA wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Tuesday number: $479,917 for $217,649,868 so far.
Worldwide: $431,049,868

Wow, what a "failure" this movie is. A "complete flop". lol
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 10:12 PM   #2464
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
In the former case, led to move movies, whereas the last two Batman flicks resulted in zero.
Batman Forever still had other studios wanting to chase that kind of box office. Marvel was pushing to get films made at that point precisely because of how much money Batman was still making circa 1995. Thereafter Batman faltered and the Marvel films stepped in as the impetus of the next wave of films.

Besides, even in the heyday of Supes and Batman, they were pretty much the only two around. What X-Men showed is that the genre was commercially viable again.
Batman led to a fair number of comic book movies in the 1990s, far more than had been made in the 1980s. The wave from the 2000s that continues through to the present is again that much larger. Each wave has gotten bigger in succession.
Old June 26 2013, 10:29 PM   #2465
sonak
Vice Admiral

So what did you mean by "take off" or "become a joke?"
In the former case, led to move movies, whereas the last two Batman flicks resulted in zero. And in the latter case, everybody laughed at them. Franchises that are poorly regarded by people, not critics, become financial failures. Besides, even in the heyday of Supes and Batman, they were pretty much the only two around. What X-Men showed is that the genre was commercially viable again.

EDIT: and the last movie of each franchise, Superman and Batman, lost money.

How does one rate the success or failure of a big-budget comic book movie if not by box office?
Box office is short-term success, sure. Viability, the long-term success, is trickier.

The original "Batman" and "Superman" film series each lasted for four films, and five of the eight were extremely successfull. A four-film series is a huge success by any measure. Just looking at the last film of each series to prove that they eventually wound down is an unfair comparison.

By that standard, the failures of "daredevil," "catwoman," "hulk," and "elektra" prove that the 2000s were a bad decade for comic book movies.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:31 AM   #2466
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I said Blade started the current superhero craze, not that it was the most popular. It was successful with using a superhero character, leading the other studios to take more chances with the genre.

If you want to argue most popular superhero movie, that would be the Avengers, but that didn't start anything.
Blade is not a superhero. He's a comic book character. If appearing in a comicbook makes you a super hero then Scrooge McDuck is also a superhero.
Old June 27 2013, 12:33 AM   #2467
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The original "Batman" and "Superman" film series each lasted for four films, and five of the eight were extremely successfull.
It's pretty funny how you avoid addressing my actual argument. You act as though Batman And Robin and Superman IV never existed. Those are the movies that sunk the franchises, and in each case the previous outings were of markedly lower quality than the first two chapters. The superhero genre was in dire straights, and Marvel stepped in, as Out of My Vulcan Mind pointed out.
Old June 27 2013, 01:05 AM   #2468
Dream
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Blade is not a superhero. He's a comic book character. If appearing in a comicbook makes you a super hero then Scrooge McDuck is also a superhero.
Blade is a superhero. He is even listed as part of the superhero genre on boxofficemojo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blade.htm
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:07 AM   #2469
sonak
Vice Admiral

The original "Batman" and "Superman" film series each lasted for four films, and five of the eight were extremely successfull.
It's pretty funny how you avoid addressing my actual argument. You act as though Batman And Robin and Superman IV never existed. Those are the movies that sunk the franchises, and in each case the previous outings were of markedly lower quality than the first two chapters. The superhero genre was in dire straights, and Marvel stepped in, as Out of My Vulcan Mind pointed out.

I did address your argument. Your argument is to ignore the huge successes of both franchises in order to focus on the ONE FILM in each series that did poorly.(and actually, "batman and robin" STILL made $107 million domestically)

And as I pointed out, ignoring the successes to focus on the failures is not a fair way of looking at it.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:46 AM   #2470
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Blade is a superhero. He is even listed as part of the superhero genre on boxofficemojo.

That's nice. Like others, they conflate comic book with superhero. Blade is a guy who hunts Vampires and is a human/vampire hybrid. He was created in the Tomb of Dracula series, a horror comic. So, is Jack Russell, the central character in Werewolf By Night also a Superhero?
Old June 27 2013, 01:50 AM   #2471
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

I'm worried about Paramount's promotion here in venezuela. We are 3 weeks away from the Film and I haven't seen the first POSTER.
Old June 27 2013, 02:21 AM   #2472
Jax
Admiral

How the hell is Blade not a superhero he's a fucking super human/vampire wrecking machine.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 02:56 AM   #2473
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
How the hell is Blade not a superhero he's a fucking super human/vampire wrecking machine.
The characters in the Underworld movies have superpowers because they're vampires and werewolves, but they're not superheroes. The line as to who is and isn't a superhero can be a little fuzzy. I'd say Blade has become more of a superhero character in the comics over the years as he's become more enmeshed in the Marvel Universe and has joined superhero groups, but most moviegoers wouldn't look at the Blade movies as superhero movies. They'd see them as horror action movies.
Old June 27 2013, 03:04 AM   #2474
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Blade and Werewolf by Night had each paired up with Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up in the 70s/80s (I have the comics in a box in my basement). That doesn't make them classic "superheroes", of course, but it puts them into the same playground.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:06 AM   #2475
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post

Because he fights vampires for a living and was created in a horror comic to fight Dracula, not Doctor Doom or Magneto. He's a horror character. Just as Swamp Thing is a horror character not a superhero.