RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,320
Posts: 5,352,617
Members: 24,617
Currently online: 742
Newest member: CaptXeno

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 26 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Wouldn't that have been the more ethical choice, since it was his own people too?

Simply transport Laas via a runabout to the Gamma Quadrant and send an open message towards Dominion space that he is on a peaceful mission and is returning a Changeling.

You think the Founders won't pay attention to that, or destory Odo and their new long lost son? lol..
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

cannicks wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that have been the more ethical choice, since it was his own people too?

Simply transport Laas via a runabout to the Gamma Quadrant and send an open message towards Dominion space that he is on a peaceful mission and is returning a Changeling.

You think the Founders won't pay attention to that, or destory Odo and their new long lost son? lol..
It was season 7. The Founders had closed the wormhole by that point and no one was risking using it after the 2800 Jem'Hadar ships disappeared.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Sisko could pwrsuaded the prophwrs to let it rhrough. Also rhe fleet was destroyed due tp a potential threat to Bajor . If odo stood for justice then he should have allowed Laas to join their people. Its. where he truly belongs
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

cannicks wrote: View Post
Sisko could pwrsuaded the prophwrs to let it rhrough. Also rhe fleet was destroyed due tp a potential threat to Bajor . If odo stood for justice then he should have allowed Laas to join their people. Its. where he truly belongs
It's been awhile since I've seen this episode, but did Laas ever say that he wanted to join the Great Link? How is it justice if Odo makes that decision for him and takes him somewhere that he doesn't want to be?

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Not to mention there's the small fact that the Link is infected and that joining with them would be deliberately infecting himself. Laas and Odo both didnt know that Odo had already infected Laas with the illness.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 08:55 PM   #6
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander
 
YJAGG's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

so Laas most likely died soon anyway
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

YJAGG wrote: View Post
so Laas most likely died soon anyway
No way to know either way.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Sran wrote: View Post
cannicks wrote: View Post
Sisko could pwrsuaded the prophwrs to let it rhrough. Also rhe fleet was destroyed due tp a potential threat to Bajor . If odo stood for justice then he should have allowed Laas to join their people. Its. where he truly belongs
It's been awhile since I've seen this episode, but did Laas ever say that he wanted to join the Great Link? How is it justice if Odo makes that decision for him and takes him somewhere that he doesn't want to be?

--Sran
Its his home. Did he ever say he didnt want to join?
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

cannicks wrote: View Post
Its his home. Did he ever say he didnt want to join?

Seems to me that he had no home and wanted to find the other Changelings the Dominion sent to explore the galaxy. Why would he return to the Great Link if that's what he intended to do?

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:40 PM   #10
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Sran wrote: View Post
cannicks wrote: View Post
Its his home. Did he ever say he didnt want to join?

Seems to me that he had no home and wanted to find the other Changelings the Dominion sent to explore the galaxy. Why would he return to the Great Link if that's what he intended to do?

--Sran
Its his people.
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

cannicks wrote: View Post
Its his people.
That he shares biochemical characteristics with the Founders doesn't make them his people. Family isn't about DNA sequences or physical traits. It's about finding individuals with whom one can identify. You've provided absolutely no evidence that Laas actually empathizes with or accepts the Great Link in even the smallest degree.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:04 AM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Not to mention by that logic Odo would've stayed with the Link in the Search.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:50 AM   #13
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Not to mention by that logic Odo would've stayed with the Link in the Search.
Correct. And we know from various things Odo said that he did want to return to his people but elected not to do so until after the war was over. Why would Lass, someone with no prior relationship with the Founders, make a decision like that? It makes no sense at all.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:30 AM   #14
cannicks
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

Who is to say that Laas wouldn't have stayed at the Link? Since he too despised solids, it was more of a better fit than Odo who obviously welcomed them. this was essentially the reason why he rejected the Founders, not really because he was good and the Founders were evil, but he loved Kira and wanted to be with her. I'd imagine had Kira died prior, then he'd have little else to live for amongst solids and go back to the Link. Also, Laas only knew of the Link after he met Odo. Up until then, he had not means to know other Changelings even existed. One cannot catergorically state that as Laas was greeted at the Link and told "Welcome home" he'd respond "You're my people? Nah, not interested". It's likely he may share his people's hatred of the solids, and do what he could to subdue/exterminate them. Remember, he killed a Klingon and showed no remorse since he was a solid.

It's likely then as he was told "Welcome home" he would respond "It's good to be back after all these years. Let's go kill solids together! "

It's that as the Founders were Laas' people too, why should he be denied the opportunity to meet them? It was his home and origin, and if he chose to go, fine. They let Odo go, and all Founders seemingly have equal standing/choice (I see no evidence there are Founder leaders). Odo essentially was a hypocrite, since he denied one of his own species the opportunity to do something he wanted all of his life.

Just seems that if Odo lived his life in the pursuit of justice, then he should have at least shown Laas what the Great Link was. Why deny somebody their own origin? As for DNA ties, well I'd say a priori most species do have such a thing. Of course this is not absolute, but despite PC people disagreeing, most species do share utmost allegiance with conspecifics.
cannicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Why did Odo send Laas to the Great Link?

cannicks wrote: View Post
Who is to say that Laas wouldn't have stayed at the Link?
Laas indicated several times that he was much more interested in finding the other Changelings who were sent out into the galaxy than he was in joining the Great Link.

cannicks wrote:
It's likely he may share his people's hatred of the solids, and do what he could to subdue/exterminate them. Remember, he killed a Klingon and showed no remorse since he was a solid.
Laas himself said that he had no interest in conquering solids as the Dominion was attempting and that he preferred to avoid them altogether. Your "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" argument is baseless.

cannicks wrote:
It's that as the Founders were Laas' people too, why should he be denied the opportunity to meet them? It was his home and origin, and if he chose to go, fine. They let Odo go, and all Founders seemingly have equal standing/choice (I see no evidence there are Founder leaders). Odo essentially was a hypocrite, since he denied one of his own species the opportunity to do something he wanted all of his life.
What are you talking about? Odo didn't deny Laas anything. He chose not to accompany him on his journey, but he allowed him to leave without interference. How is Odo a hypocrite for something he didn't even do? If you're going to present an argument like this, you need to provide facts to support your assertions. You've yet to do so.

cannicks wrote:
Just seems that if Odo lived his life in the pursuit of justice, then he should have at least shown Laas what the Great Link was. Why deny somebody their own origin? As for DNA ties, well I'd say a priori most species do have such a thing. Of course this is not absolute, but despite PC people disagreeing, most species do share utmost allegiance with conspecifics.
It wasn't Odo's responsibility to take Laas to the Great Link. Laas was an individual and could have made that decision for himself. He didn't need Odo's help to find the Founders. And Odo was under no obligation to leave his life on DS9 behind to help someone he barely knew. I'll say it again: genetics don't determine one's family. Family is about making deep and meaningful connections with people whom one has many things in common with. Odo had no such connection to Laas despite their common origin, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that he would choose to stay with someone he loved.

As to your final point, you're presuming that all members of given species or ethnic group are alike, which is perhaps the most ignorant POV I've seen expressed in quite some time. Most Changelings may prefer to associate with other Changelings, but one cannot assume that this would be case for everyone.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
odo, the great link

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.