Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 26 2013, 06:11 PM   #31
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: The Challenge of Trek 3

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Oh, and you've read and seen every single one to know that? Hmm?
That argument cuts both ways, you know ?

And no, I haven't. But I think most people would agree that most movie, if they were to see them all, would be crap to them. Also, I think most people would agree that the majority of entertainment is poorly written. It doesn't mean it's not entertaining, it's simply a fact that people with real writing talent are rarer than people with less talent; this is also true for any other talent. I don't see how my statement could be controversial.

So, I'll just file your post under "100% opinion," too.
You may not. It's certainly partly subjective, but it's not "100%" anything. You just disagree, but that doesn't make it whatever you want to label it.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:13 PM   #32
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

foxhot wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote:

''I think you're going to need to post some evidence that the folks who comprise "modern audiences" have more limited IQs than you do before any of this can be taken seriously.''

What better place to start than the weekly top-grossing US films for any given week since, say, 1990? You'll find SOME quality and a lot of something else...
Yes because the vast majority of movie goers go and see a movie for fun to get away from their daily lives for a few hours are basically idiots for wanting to have a good time and don't care about Box Office, franchises, acting, or critical reception. They just want to have a good time so they are morons. IDIC LIVES~!
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 07:09 PM   #33
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote:

''I think you're going to need to post some evidence that the folks who comprise "modern audiences" have more limited IQs than you do before any of this can be taken seriously.''

What better place to start than the weekly top-grossing US films for any given week since, say, 1990? You'll find SOME quality and a lot of something else...
I think you'll find that's been pretty much constant throughout the history of film or any creative art.
"Ninety percent of everything is garbage." - Theodore Sturgeon (1956)
And that's 100% opinion.
Belz... wrote: View Post
And that's 100% opinion.
Not really. Most movies, novels, comics, plays, etc. have been low-quality for the last few thousand years.

What is and isn't "low-quality" is subjective, although general consensuses are possible among certain crowds in some cases. So, I'll just file your post under "100% opinion," too.
All one need do is to look at records of works which are known to have been created during any period—Renaissance, Classical, Baroque, Golden Age of SF, German Expressionist cinema, you name it—and compare to which of those works are still known, appreciated, and mentioned with respect ten years later, or fifty years, or two hundred fifty, or a thousand years later. The proportion of forgettable to memorable remains remarkably steady through all periods, and belies the notion that any marked drop in quality is apparent after, say, 1990 (nor any other milestone arbitrarily selected for the purpose of advancing a wholly specious argument.)

Observation. Not unsupported "Get off my lawn"-ery.
Old June 26 2013, 09:17 PM   #34
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The proportion of forgettable to memorable remains remarkably steady through all periods, and belies the notion that any marked drop in quality is apparent after, say, 1990 (nor any other milestone arbitrarily selected for the purpose of advancing a wholly specious argument.)
Right. There's a reason the Romans/Greeks coined the term "Deus Ex Machina" for a type of lazy writing.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 27 2013, 04:48 AM   #35
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

That argument cuts both ways, you know ?

And no, I haven't. But I think most people would agree that most movie, if they were to see them all, would be crap to them. Also, I think most people would agree that the majority of entertainment is poorly written. It doesn't mean it's not entertaining, it's simply a fact that people with real writing talent are rarer than people with less talent; this is also true for any other talent. I don't see how my statement could be controversial.

So, I'll just file your post under "100% opinion," too.
You may not. It's certainly partly subjective, but it's not "100%" anything. You just disagree, but that doesn't make it whatever you want to label it.
I may and I will. It's 100% opinion. Your opinion doesn't become fact because you think it's a fact. The "argument" doesn't "cut both ways" because I never claimed to know about "everything." No one can. To make such a sweeping statement that "90% of everything is garbage" is in and of itself a useless, or garbage, attempt to say something definitive.

Continue to think what you want to think about "everything," but please do not try to say that your thoughts equate to objectivity.

And before you cry "off topic," I'm done talking to you about this. I don't want to see someone else's thread affected by this.

I think you'll find that's been pretty much constant throughout the history of film or any creative art.
"Ninety percent of everything is garbage." - Theodore Sturgeon (1956)
And that's 100% opinion.

Not really. Most movies, novels, comics, plays, etc. have been low-quality for the last few thousand years.

What is and isn't "low-quality" is subjective, although general consensuses are possible among certain crowds in some cases. So, I'll just file your post under "100% opinion," too.
All one need do is to look at records of works which are known to have been created during any period—Renaissance, Classical, Baroque, Golden Age of SF, German Expressionist cinema, you name it—and compare to which of those works are still known, appreciated, and mentioned with respect ten years later, or fifty years, or two hundred fifty, or a thousand years later. The proportion of forgettable to memorable remains remarkably steady through all periods, and belies the notion that any marked drop in quality is apparent after, say, 1990 (nor any other milestone arbitrarily selected for the purpose of advancing a wholly specious argument.)

Observation. Not unsupported "Get off my lawn"-ery.
And that's why I mentioned that a general consensus can be had among certain crowds about certain works. That still doesn't mean that just because something isn't "remembered" that it isn't good or great. Also opinions can change over time. IIRC, Van Gogh wasn't considered really "great" until after he died.

And besides, the quote said ninety percent of "everything," and that scope goes beyond art (which includes film/television) and literature. There's absolutely no way this guy could know that, and I think there's more than a good chance that it's not true. I don't think it's humanly possible to "observe" 90% of "everything," not to mention 100%.

All I know is that 90% of everything in my life and in my past experiences isn't garbage. Frankly, it just sounds like this man is miserable (or at least pessimistic). And you know what they say about misery and company...

But, you and Belz can be "right" if you want to. I'm leaving this alone as an effort to help preserve this thread and the conversation the OP might be trying to have.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 05:18 AM   #36
sonak
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
...modern audiences have neither the attention span or the IQ required to address a deep plot..
I think you're going to need to post some evidence that the folks who comprise "modern audiences" have more limited IQs than you do before any of this can be taken seriously.

BTW, Star Trek The Motion Picture does not feature a "deep and sophisticated" plot.

I like this
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 05:47 AM   #37
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

<snip>

And besides, the quote said ninety percent of "everything," and that scope goes beyond art (which includes film/television) and literature. There's absolutely no way this guy could know that, and I think there's more than a good chance that it's not true. I don't think it's humanly possible to "observe" 90% of "everything," not to mention 100%.

All I know is that 90% of everything in my life and in my past experiences isn't garbage. Frankly, it just sounds like this man is miserable (or at least pessimistic). And you know what they say about misery and company...
It's apparent that the name of the man quoted means nothing to you. The quote itself is fairly well-known in certain circles (including foxhot's, I don't doubt) but absent understanding of its context the quote probably won't carry the meaning which was intended.

So it goes.

But, you and Belz can be "right" if you want to. I'm leaving this alone as an effort to help preserve this thread and the conversation the OP might be trying to have.
Promises, promises.
Old June 27 2013, 06:09 AM   #38
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

<snip>

It's apparent that the name of the man quoted means nothing to you. The quote itself is fairly well-known in certain circles (including foxhot's, I don't doubt) but absent understanding of its context the quote probably won't carry the meaning which was intended.

So it goes.

Promises, promises.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old June 27 2013, 11:21 AM   #39
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I may and I will. It's 100% opinion.
NO, it's NOT. And the fact that you think it is is your opinion. Saying that it's 100% opinion doesn't make it so.

Your opinion doesn't become fact because you think it's a fact.
Did you even READ my post ? I suggest you do so again before you reply.

To make such a sweeping statement that "90% of everything is garbage" is in and of itself a useless, or garbage, attempt to say something definitive.
It's simply an observation that the mass of production is low-quality. For every 1000 movie made in a year, how many quality ones do you expect there will be ? Oh, give me your 100% opinion please.

Continue to think what you want to think about "everything," but please do not try to say that your thoughts equate to objectivity.
I never said so. Do not misrepresent what I said if you want to be taken seriously.

And before you cry "off topic," I'm done talking to you about this. I don't want to see someone else's thread affected by this.
Where did I say that, AGAIN ? Stop making stuff up about me.

But, you and Belz can be "right" if you want to.
How noble of you, refusing to address your errors.

Old June 28 2013, 04:30 AM   #40
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Keeping my promise.

Old June 28 2013, 10:42 AM   #41
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I can appreciate that.

However it's always a bit frustrating to leave a discussing hanging.