Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 23 2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 12th Doctor Changes - Predictions

Well they'll have to do something with the titles given they have Smith's face in them...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 12:15 AM   #17
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I imagine they could easily swap out Smith's face with that of the new Doctor. That's what they did when Peter Davison replaced Tom Baker. They'd just gone to all the trouble to come up with a new opening title concept. They weren't going to ditch it just because the lead actor changed.

Frankly, there have been so many changes in the last half season, I'd like it if some of them stuck around a little longer for me to get used to them, even if Smith won't stay. (I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around that. I was convinced he'd at least stay for Season 8. )
Old June 23 2013, 03:18 AM   #18
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well yeah I was expecting at LEAST one more series - if not a 10th Doctor like "movie" set if they didn't want to do a whole 12 episodes - just a few basically 2 part episodes they do as one offs.

I mean they did give him a new TARDIS control room, a new companion and even some new-ish supporting cast with Lady Sherlock (I know its not her name but that's what I call her!) Jenny and Strax. Given that we saw them in 3 out of the 12 episodes of this season I'd say that they were key supporting cast.

I would just hate for the new guy to have to mimic too much of 11's mannerisms and wardrobe and such just because writers may have written those stories for 11 not 12. I do hope we've seen the end of the Doctor telling people to Shut Up. Once in a while... okay. But he says it like once an episode. And the whole 'I wear this now, this is cool' thing... and not really getting what 'cool' is. I'd love to hear 12 go

"I wear leather again, leather is... functional."
Old June 23 2013, 03:49 AM   #19
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I dunno, im torn on the sonic. I love the current one, but id like a new one to be able to collect another one.
Old June 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

The 11's is kinda growing on me - it's got a lot going on with it and it just looks pretty coo. Although honestly I do like the 9th/10th Doctor's sonic - it's simple looking yet appropriately alien-ish and futuristic. Looks almost like a fancy flashlight at first blush so no one really pays it much mind. The 11's looks far more 'tool' like with the 3 different grip surfaces, the polished ceramic looking bottom, the leather bound ergo grip and then the ribbed claw part. Plus it actually moves a bit more, so its like a TOS/Ent era Star Trek communicator or even the nuTrek movie phasers that flip around for stun and kill. It does something even when its not making noise or lighting up.

I like both the modern sonics compared to the 'classic' sonics that really only made noise or had to use SFX to look like they're working. Really it was smart of the prop guys to make the new sonics light up and have moving parts to make it seem like its doing different things. Like the 10th's raising and lowering head piece and 11's raising claws.

Although I think the sonic cane, maybe redone slightly could be kinda cool to see make a more regular come back. But I would kinda like something that has some neat details, maybe more of that Time Lord 'circles' motif like on the Doctor's fob watch. More textured, but also with a few movable elements. We've had claws and we've had a raising head, be interesting if it could extend a bit more, not like a light saber mind you but sort of like work like a billy club.

I always sort of thought it'd be frickin' funny to see the Doctor whack someone over the head with the sonic - especially Smith's - but the 11's sonic seems so delicate that if you did whack someone over the head with it, that thing would break!

"Doctor you hit him! Did you do something neat and sonic with it?"

"No I just hit him on the head... should be passed out... " uses the sonic to scan him. "For at least a few minutes. Now run!"

Honestly I'd like to see 12 be a bit more... I hate to say it but... a bit more Batman, James Bond, Supafly and Kung Fu all put together.

And if you get the reference to that line you get a No Prize.
Old June 25 2013, 01:50 AM   #21
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I would just hate for the new guy to have to mimic too much of 11's mannerisms and wardrobe and such just because writers may have written those stories for 11 not 12.
Sometimes, that actually does a good job of highlighting the distinctions between Doctors. I can think of at least 2 stories where Peter Davison played the role originally written for Tom Baker-- "Kinda" & "The Five Doctors." In both cases, there are instances of dialogue that, on the surface, sounds very Tom Baker but Davison delivers them in very much his own way. Lines that Baker would have thrown away, Davison delivers with earnest sincerity.
Old June 25 2013, 03:46 AM   #22
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm kinda looking forward to the new guy - whoever he is - the more I think about it, that's kind of one of the cool things about Doctor Who - is that the main lead can completely change and its still the same show - just a bit different feeling. Even with personalities and styles completely changing the Doctor's still the Doctor. And I do like that with 9's regen into 10 they did at least have Rose wonder a bit about 10. Was he the same guy? Did she even like the new guy? I think while she may have had some kind of smidge of attraction to 9, I don't think she cared for him to the point of choosing him over Mickey that 10 had with her. And honestly I think it was the age thing. 9 seemed older, granted he's older yet as 10 but 9 almost rose that 'creepy stalker' thing that I'm sure is why Jackie didn't like him with Rose - she wouldn't have minded 9 with HER - but not her twenty something daughter. 10 on the other hand, I think seemed closer to her age and didn't seem quite so creepy. I guess when you're 900 years old everyone's jail bait and there's no such thing as a cougar.
Old June 26 2013, 03:36 AM   #23
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

I have this scene in my head where a very young looking Doctor ends up kissing one of his now older looking companions, like Zoe or something. Someone walks by and smirks, "Cradle robber." To which the Doctor replies, "Oi! Give me a break! When you're 1100 years old, it'd hard to find people your own age."
Old June 26 2013, 03:49 AM   #24
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

That's why I was always sorta hoping that Clara would have been like a regen and fob watched Romana or someone. But I kinda like the way they did handle it - which could be interesting since she was known to the other Doctors now. Wonder if she was always his 'girl that got away'
Old June 26 2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
In fact, i do remember seeing an interview with Moffat, in which he, asked about it, said that the Master does not interest him that much as a villain, problem is i do not remember the specifics nor where exactly i saw it.
Now I hate Moffat even more. He really is a selfish bastard, he's just writing for himself. "I don't like the Master, so I won't use him, I don't like the daleks that much, but I have to use them so I'll turn them into the teletubbies toilets".
Starkers wrote: View Post
The new Doctor's look very much depends on who they cast, I don't think you can foist a look on an actor, Moffat's 'pirate' outfit by all accounts looked terrible on Smith, for him the scatty professor look (at least initially) was perfect. Just try and imagine Ten dressed as Nine and Nine dressed as Ten, wouldn't have worked.
Actually, I think ten dressed as nine could have worked. I liked the look. Nine as ten though would be an ultimate fail.

I've not actually seen the "pirate" Smith suit.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Starkers
Admiral

I don't think many people have...

I agree btw, I think Ten could have pulled Nine's look off, but mainly because Nine's look is so basic.
Old June 26 2013, 10:56 PM   #27
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
In fact, i do remember seeing an interview with Moffat, in which he, asked about it, said that the Master does not interest him that much as a villain, problem is i do not remember the specifics nor where exactly i saw it.
Now I hate Moffat even more. He really is a selfish bastard, he's just writing for himself. "I don't like the Master, so I won't use him, I don't like the daleks that much, but I have to use them so I'll turn them into the teletubbies toilets".
Starkers wrote: View Post
The new Doctor's look very much depends on who they cast, I don't think you can foist a look on an actor, Moffat's 'pirate' outfit by all accounts looked terrible on Smith, for him the scatty professor look (at least initially) was perfect. Just try and imagine Ten dressed as Nine and Nine dressed as Ten, wouldn't have worked.
Actually, I think ten dressed as nine could have worked. I liked the look. Nine as ten though would be an ultimate fail.

I've not actually seen the "pirate" Smith suit.
http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag..._1920_1278.jpg

10 close to 9... it works.
Old June 27 2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I still think the longer trench kinda works for the Doctor no matter what incarnation he's in. Sort of gives the profile of a doctor's lab coat.

Be interesting if the next Doctor actually DID dress a bit more like a doctor and they played up the science angle a bit more. Him wearing a lab coat more, I'd like to see the return of the specs, although a leather jacket/duster just looks cool and functional period. And if Jenna sticks around for a bit, I think it would almost be sort of cool to actually see him heh... mate with her. And then we can finally resolve who 'Susan Foreman's mother was.
Old June 28 2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Starkers
Admiral

I don’t think a trench coat would suit all of the Doctors, and you don’t want them all to look the same anyway. I remember when the wardrobe dept were talking about Eccleston’s look and they were talking about things like his silhouette, everything. So whilst I don’t think the 9th’s look is a great Doctor look, I think it’s perfect for the 9th Doctor. Sticking a trench coat on someone like McCoy would have been terrible, in fact I’m not sure even Smith could have pulled it off the way Tennant did, but then Tennant wouldn’t have pulled off the absentminded professor look nearly as well as Smith.

And I’m not sure if anyone else could have worn most of Pertwee’s outfits
Old June 28 2013, 01:36 PM   #30
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
I dunno, im torn on the sonic. I love the current one, but id like a new one to be able to collect another one.
I have three already and if this keeps up I'm going to need another Doctor Who coffee mug.