Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 1 2013, 03:18 PM   #91
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

I also agree that a new season would be better than a movie, but I wonder if they would be able to get the kind of involvement they would need from the actors. It seems like everyone was willing to work with the strange scheduling of this season, but how long will they want to do that? At some point you will need everyone to be on the set together on a more consistent basis, and I just wonder if that's a possibility at this point. Everyone may want another season to happen, but logistically it may not happen due to the actors. I don't blame them of course, they've understandably moved on and have their own lives.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:10 PM   #92
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I watched episodes 4 and 5 yesterday (Michael and Tobias).

The Ron Howard stuff is so strange, and funny.

I liked Tobias' episode a lot. He's my favorite.

ANUSTART!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:56 PM   #93
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I think I like Tobias more now and everyone else less.
Old June 2 2013, 02:28 PM   #94
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I just finished the season last night. It appears that like almost everyone, I was put off by the early episodes of the season. The format was weird, the characters' motivations were sketchy, there was an overuse of cameos, and an over-reliance on references to past seasons. I actually began to feel that bringing the show back was a mistake that would blight the show's legacy.

But around episode 5 or 6 things started to click into place, sub-plots began to emerge within episodes which made it feel like like classic AD, and the connections between the episodes began to emerge and explained some of the oddities in earlier episodes. By the end of the season I was sold on the format and considered the season a worthy successor to my favourite comedy series. It's not quite as funny as the first three seasons (except maybe the Rita arc), but it was a necessary to try a new format to move the plot along 7 years, and I think it was a mostly successful experiment. That being said, if there is to be a season 5 (and I agree with most people in that I'd prefer a fifth season to a movie) I'd prefer for the show to return to its original format now that they've caught up with the present.

I also intend to rewatch the season in the coming weeks because I feel this is a season that really needs to be rewatched to fully appreciate its brilliance. In that sense, it fully lives up to the Arrested Development tradition.
Old June 3 2013, 03:20 AM   #95
Mr Light
Admiral

I just finished the season! Absolutely magical to have the series return. They're still absolutely hilarious. That said, I would have preferred the old format to the new character-centric one. Some characters don't hold an entire episode well enough, like Lindsey or George Senior.

I was also disappointed the ending didn't bring more closure. I'd have to go back to rewatch the season, but it didn't feel like the characters' stories had ended in their own respective episodes so I was expecting a big ending for them all at the end and it didn't happen.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:44 AM   #96
tighr
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I was also disappointed the ending didn't bring more closure. I'd have to go back to rewatch the season, but it didn't feel like the characters' stories had ended in their own respective episodes so I was expecting a big ending for them all at the end and it didn't happen.
Its all clearly a setup for either a season 5 or a movie. I agree, more closure would have been nice, but let's hope it pays off.
Old June 17 2013, 12:04 PM   #97
Scout101
Admiral

yeah, it just kinda stopped, they didn't really accomplish anything. Feels even worse, because the way they did the jumping back and forth, we never really advanced past where we saw things in the very first episode. Just wasn't any payoff for what they set up, even a little something would have worked...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:00 PM   #98
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I thought this article had some really great points. I'm giving it a while before I do, but I fully intend to re-watch this at some point.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:29 AM   #99
tighr
Commodore

I downloaded the morphinapg Chronological Edit (from Reddit, here), and watched a few of the episodes this weekend. Primarily the "Cinco de Cuatro" episode. He obviously put a lot of work into the edit, although he made some choices I wouldn't have made, and there's a few scenes that are missing as well. Those missing scenes end up ruining some of the jokes (for example, the "It's just a fallacy!" joke falls completely flat because of the edit). But overall, watching the Cinco episode made it a LOT easier to follow, and also shows how the characters progressed throughout the night. Pretty cool.

Not sure it's worth your time or effort to download the torrents (it was 20 gb) but if you want it, it's nice to know it's there.
Old June 18 2013, 02:02 AM   #100
Dale Sams
Captain

The Buster ep is amazing.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:38 PM   #101
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I spent the last week watching the entire series for the first time. I can't say I really got attached to the show, but the characters did grow on me and the humor… The humor was absolutely brilliant. Oddball, subtle and pretty sophisticated. All that and you do have to have some good knowledge of news and pop culture just to catch everything. They certainly didn't go for the cheap. Oh, and I loved season 3, by the way. I heard little to nothing about this show while it was on. The only reason I know it exists is because one or two people here mentioned it once or twice. I don't know how a show like this slipped past me. Weird. It must have been something special though. Most of the cast went on to successful movie careers and they even got some high profile guest stars.

As for season 4, the humor was top notch, but I didn't like the new format. The show worked better when everyone was together playing off eachother. On that I agree. Plus, the story was pretty convoluted and some of the episodes were hard to slog through because I didn't care for certain characters on their own. The longer run-time didn't help either. It did get better though towards the end, around the episode "It Gets Better". The Fakeblock stuff was pretty good and I can't wait to see where that goes. Looking forward to season 5. And aside from the humor, I was really impressed that they managed to get everyone back. We got the entire regular cast, the guest stars and the bit players (except for Julia Louis Dreyfuss). They truly did the impossible. Or was it just the right time with everyone's movie careers winding down a bit? An amazing feat none the less.

Two jokes I really loved…

From season 3… When Charlize Theron says to Michael in the hotel room… "I think we should keep the lights on to see if you have a monster. Hee hee!" I totally bought that as sexual inuendo and was just as GOBsmacked as Michael was a few episodes later when he realized what she really meant.

From season 4… The "and Jeremy Piven" nightclub. Nice little poke at Entourage's opening credit sequence.

Aside from that...

- Interesting to see how people aged indeed.

- A shame about Portia de Rossi. She didn't need all that plastic surgery.

- Steve Holt does look quite different. Was the actor really in make-up? I didn't recognize him either when GOB was talking to him in the bar.

- I wouldn't have appreciated the "George Maharis" bit if I hadn't heard about the name change and read about the actor beforehand. Like George Michael, he was also arrested for a sex act in a public washroom. I also appreciate that they gave the audience a chance to look him up so that they could be in on the joke.

- I noticed that Caprica's Alessandra Torresani originally played Ann Veal.

- I miss the banana stand too. I'd love to try a frozen banana sometime, by the way.

- Tony Hale looks like he'd be a good Penguin in a Batman project. Don't know what that has to do with anything, but he does.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:38 PM   #102
tighr
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- Steve Holt does look quite different. Was the actor really in make-up? I didn't recognize him either when GOB was talking to him in the bar.

- I wouldn't have appreciated the "George Maharis" bit if I hadn't heard about the name change and read about the actor beforehand. Like George Michael, he was also arrested for a sex act in a public washroom. I also appreciate that they gave the audience a chance to look him up so that they could be in on the joke.
Yes, the actor who plays Steve Holt (Justin Grant Wade) was wearing make-up and a wig, he does not look like that today. Did you notice he changed the sign on his shop to "Steve Holt! (and Dad) Pest Control"?

Another layer to the George Maharis joke: the actor George Maharis was arrested in a public bathroom with a hairdresser named Perfecto Telles.
Old June 27 2013, 12:13 PM   #103
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I spent the last week watching the entire series for the first time.
Now watch it again. I'm serious, the show is even better on repeated viewings because the sheer density of jokes makes it unlikely that you caught them all on your first viewing, and some jokes only make sense retroactively, the most famous example being Buster's hand chair back in season 1.

My favourite hidden joke is that Tobias is actually a black man with a skin condition that makes him look white.

That threw me too, but it was all make up. It was the follow-up to this joke from season 2.
Old June 27 2013, 12:24 PM   #104
Mr Light
Admiral

All the times I've watched the show, I never got the implication that Tobias was black It's amazing how subtle they can be!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:58 PM   #105
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I read the theory two years ago and wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, but the two extra hints in season 4 made me a believer. I don't know if they ever plan to confirm it in the show, but they're definitely putting those references in there for dedicated fans to catch.