RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Posts: 5,213,722
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 672
Newest member: meshman63


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 7 2013, 09:54 AM   #511
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Inferno - because I'm off sick with a fever and a chest infection.

The Iain Levine segments of commentary are quite annoying in the way the cut in and out of the others.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:15 AM   #512
VDCNI
Captain
 
Location: London UK
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

John Levene do you mean?
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:42 PM   #513
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

VDCNI wrote: View Post
John Levene do you mean?
I am on heavy medication just now.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 10:33 PM   #514
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Pindar wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
John Levene do you mean?
I am on heavy medication just now.
There's ajoke at least half a dozen of us are resisting making right now...
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:24 PM   #515
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

diankra wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
John Levene do you mean?
I am on heavy medication just now.
There's ajoke at least half a dozen of us are resisting making right now...
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:40 AM   #516
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Thanks to a borrowed Netflix passwords I have now see 7th "Curse of the Fenric" and 5th "The Visitation". Fenric was interesting in the ending, while Visitation was pretty forgettable, but I feel that way about the 5th doctor in general...

Oh, and I just saw "Earthshock" which was pretty good.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:44 AM   #517
Lowdarzz
Captain
 
Lowdarzz's Avatar
 
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The Happiness Patrol (Seventh Doctor).

An interesting story though the political subtext is mostly lost on me since I'm not from the U.K. Once again the Doctor takes the lead in this story. He's heard of the regime on Terra Alpha and had planned to take care of it instead of coming upon the situation accidentally. But instead of freeing an oppressed population so they can pursue happiness, he's freeing them to pursue unhappiness. I liked this reverse.

Silver Nemesis (Seventh Doctor).

Another decent story. Too bad they already told it in Remembrance of the Daleks and that version was better. The Hand of Omega was a more interesting concept as a stellar manipulator, which had the ability to create and destroy, then a living metal Time Lord super weapon.

There also seemed to be too many elements in this story which made it feel crowded, especially considering it's three parts. Perhaps I missed it but I don't remember the story telling the audience how Lady Peinforte finds the statue or gains the knowledge to travel through time. The Cybermen didn't play a valuable part and the Neo-Nazi's were completely unnecessary.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:57 PM   #518
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I just finished watching The Curse of Peladon, first time I've ever seen it and I have to say I thought it was rather good. I haven't seen too many Pertwee's where he's actually on an alien world, and I loved his Venusian lullaby

Thought the cast were good, Peladon itself well realised, and nice to see the Ice Warriors again. Even the monster was quite well done, in fact I'd say only Centuri let the side down, except she/he/it really is so terrible they're great!

Loved the fight in the pit as well, I know she has her detractors but I thought Jo was adorable, and not at all useless in this one. That'll be back in the post tomorrow and then I should be getting The Monster of Peladon through...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:49 AM   #519
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Bo's crapshack
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
["Shada"] would've been an excellent story if it had been finished. Tom Baker's linking narration does an adequate job but so much is left out that the serial will never feel complete. It's too bad they didn't animate the missing segments. Perhaps it would be too difficult linking the live action and animated parts.
IIRC, they did an animated version some time in the late 1990s or early 2000s with Paul McGann playing the Doctor. Shame that one wasn't included on the DVD.

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, Dragonfire and Remembrance of the Daleks (Seventh Doctor).

Paradise Towers and Remembrance of the Daleks were the best of the lot.
I just finished "Paradise Towers" & the 1st 2 parts of "Dragonfire." "Paradise Towers" was much better than I recall when I first watched it a couple years ago. The whole thing with the bad guy being an architect who doesn't want people living in his buildings is a bit naff but at least it's unique. And I forgot how catchy the story can be. "Red Kangs the best!" "No board games! No visitors!" "I put the world of Paradise Towers to rights." "Built high for happiness."
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:58 AM   #520
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
["Shada"] would've been an excellent story if it had been finished. Tom Baker's linking narration does an adequate job but so much is left out that the serial will never feel complete. It's too bad they didn't animate the missing segments. Perhaps it would be too difficult linking the live action and animated parts.
IIRC, they did an animated version some time in the late 1990s or early 2000s with Paul McGann playing the Doctor. Shame that one wasn't included on the DVD.

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, Dragonfire and Remembrance of the Daleks (Seventh Doctor).

Paradise Towers and Remembrance of the Daleks were the best of the lot.
I just finished "Paradise Towers" & the 1st 2 parts of "Dragonfire." "Paradise Towers" was much better than I recall when I first watched it a couple years ago. The whole thing with the bad guy being an architect who doesn't want people living in his buildings is a bit naff but at least it's unique. And I forgot how catchy the story can be. "Red Kangs the best!" "No board games! No visitors!" "I put the world of Paradise Towers to rights." "Built high for happiness."
The Hitler looking guy kinda detracts from the rest of the serial. for me I really enjoy the rest of it though, Pex, The Kangs, The Resies
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:29 AM   #521
AllStarEntprise
Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Location: Galactica Actual
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Vengeance of Varos Sixth Doctor. For some reasons there is a controversy about this episode. I rewatched it to see what the big deal was. I couldn't find anything disagreeable.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:32 PM   #522
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Vengeance of Varos Sixth Doctor. For some reasons there is a controversy about this episode. I rewatched it to see what the big deal was. I couldn't find anything disagreeable.
Well it was the 80s, and a Children's show, so, it's a pretty grim concept. Plus some people get bent about the acid pool thing, with The Doctor "pushing" the guy in.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 01:47 PM   #523
AllStarEntprise
Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Location: Galactica Actual
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

^Thanks
Now that I think about it. The Sixth Doctor's era was very violent.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 02:29 PM   #524
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I think Varos is a great story, and I don't say that about many 6th Doctor serials...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:13 PM   #525
AllStarEntprise
Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Location: Galactica Actual
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Starkers wrote: View Post
I think Varos is a great story, and I don't say that about many 6th Doctor serials...
His intro episode "The Twin Dilemma" makes me cringe. Romulus and Remus. This ain't Star Trek Nemesis. Lol
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.