Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 25 2013, 09:40 PM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Would Worf get into Sto Vo Kor?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Remember, Klingons killed their gods, so the only authorities over the afterlife are the Klingon leaders. We don't know if they have a Pope, so the Council very well may have the final say on who is qualified to enter Sto Vo Kor.
That's conjecture, as it's never shown on screen, and the only person who utters the line was himself not present for those events.

--Sran
Old June 25 2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Pavonis
Commodore

Conjecture?? What? Do you expect the Klingon mythology to be depicted onscreen? It's fiction within fiction!

From the DS9 epsiode "Homefront", where Worf and Kira are discussing their respective beliefs -

WORF: Our gods are dead. Ancient Klingon warriors slew them a millennia ago. They were more trouble than they were worth.
Klingon mythology says they had gods, and then killed them all off. Who will be the spiritual authority of Sto Vo Kor, then, if not the gods, since they're dead? Presumably the Council!

If you're a Klingon warrior, and believe in Sto Vo Kor, then presumably you'll listen to the authorities about what it takes to be granted entrance to Sto Vo Kor. Who but the Council would be the leading authority on the afterlife?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 09:53 PM   #33
Sran
Fleet Captain

If you're a Klingon warrior, and believe in Sto Vo Kor, then presumably you'll listen to the authorities about what it takes to be granted entrance to Sto Vo Kor. Who but the Council would be the leading authority on the afterlife?
Let me put it this way: not everyone who practices a faith agrees with every aspect of said faith. If Worf really believed he was condemned to an existence without honor, it's hard to believe he would have risked Gowron's ire because he believed he was right, regardless of Gowron's perceived authority.

I'm Methodist and attend church regularly. That doesn't mean I'm going to do everything my minister tells me to do, nor does it mean that he holds the key to my getting into Heaven. I have my own sense of what's right and wrong that means more to me than the words of a religious authority.

--Sran
Old June 25 2013, 09:57 PM   #34
Pavonis
Commodore

And you have a very human take on spirituality, Sran, that Klingons wouldn't necessarily share. They're supposed to be aliens, not just humans with bumpy foreheads.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 10:02 PM   #35
Sran
Fleet Captain

And you have a very human take on spirituality, Sran, that Klingons wouldn't necessarily share. They're supposed to be aliens, not just humans with bumpy foreheads.
As you said, Klingons are fictional characters. That being the case, none of us know what a real Klingon would say about his spiritual beliefs. I have only my human experience with which to understand the perspective that a character in a fictional would have about the possibility of reaching the afterlife.

One could go by what's in the script, but scripts are ultimately written by human authors depicting their own views of religion and spirituality, be it Klingon, Romulan, Bajoran, or otherwise.

--Sran
Old June 25 2013, 11:13 PM   #36
cheesepuff316
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at Barge of Death.... Ok, so this post is about Worf, but Torres is still Klingon...
It says there the stuff she has to do to get her mother into Sto Vo Kor
cheesepuff316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:17 PM   #37
Sran
Fleet Captain

^That was a dream sequence, so it's debatable how much of that really applies to Klingon mythology.

--Sran
Old June 26 2013, 03:38 AM   #38
Mr_Homn
Captain

O'brien says that worf told him that dax won't get into sto vo kor because she didn't eat the heart of the enemy. If worf believes that is a requirement, AND it applied to kor, then it's evidence enough to be a requirement for me.

It's just weird to picture Worf eating the heart of some slain romulan (or whatever species), and i don't think he's ever done it.
Old June 26 2013, 04:43 AM   #39
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The way O'Brien words it, it's not a certainty that you have to eat the heart of an enemy. It sounds that way, but a case could very easily be made for it being just one option.

Besides, Klingon beliefs vary wildly...it's almost as though they make them up as they go, sometimes forgetting old ones.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:36 AM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sran wrote: View Post
^That was a dream sequence
...maybe.