RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,686
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 839
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 5 2013, 09:51 PM   #136
Elim Garakov
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

I mean any Star trek show has to compete against a lot of stuff on TV although of they re will there a way.
Elim Garakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:03 PM   #137
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
dulcimer47 wrote: View Post
Television is actually the medium where the best work is being done today.
As far as writing is concerned, this is true.
Really? I watched two episodes of Defiance last week and the first Falling Skies episode of the the new season. I rather feel there's now enough good sci-fi on TV these days...
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:15 PM   #138
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Jadin wrote: View Post
dulcimer47 wrote: View Post
Television is actually the medium where the best work is being done today.
Really? I watched two episodes of Defiance last week and the first Falling Skies episode of the the new season. I rather feel there's now enough good sci-fi on TV these days...
Unfortunately for me, no matter how good these shows are, they aren't the kind of SF I want to see on TV. I don't want to see an invaded Earth, I want to see something set in space, and these shows don't scratch that itch.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:46 PM   #139
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

DCR wrote: View Post

Unfortunately for me, no matter how good these shows are, they aren't the kind of SF I want to see on TV. I don't want to see an invaded Earth, I want to see something set in space, and these shows don't scratch that itch.
Thank you for admitting it. Too often fans complain about not enough science fiction on TV, and what they really mean is, "not enough space opera". It's undeniable that there aren't a lot of space operas on TV, but that doesn't mean that there is no science fiction on tv.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:16 PM   #140
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

AviTrek wrote: View Post
DCR wrote: View Post

Thank you for admitting it. Too often fans complain about not enough science fiction on TV, and what they really mean is, "not enough space opera". It's undeniable that there aren't a lot of space operas on TV, but that doesn't mean that there is no science fiction on tv.
Of course I'll admit it. I don't want people pointing at shows that aren't what I want at all, and saying "see, you got your wish!"

I'm not saying what we have now is bad, just that it's not what I'm looking for as a viewer.
Old June 20 2013, 12:30 AM   #141
Belz...
Fleet Captain

oo often fans complain about not enough science fiction on TV, and what they really mean is, "not enough space opera".
Hell Yeah ! Star Wars got some of that going back in the late 70s and early 80s, but we haven't got any good number of those since that time.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 04:15 AM   #142
Jonesy
Commodore

horatio83 wrote: View Post
ENT failed because, like TOS, it was neglected by the powers that be with the additional tragedy that the former became better while the latter became worse when it got cancelled.
"Better" is a relative term, particularly when it comes to Enterprise. Yes, it improved as it aged, but I don't feel it was even moderately interesting or compelling, even by its last season.
Old June 26 2013, 04:42 AM   #143
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Jonesy wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
ENT failed because, like TOS, it was neglected by the powers that be with the additional tragedy that the former became better while the latter became worse when it got cancelled.
"Better" is a relative term, particularly when it comes to Enterprise. Yes, it improved as it aged, but I don't feel it was even moderately interesting or compelling, even by its last season.
I actually found most of the 4th Season to be very good, best of the series (although the final episode still leaves a sour taste in my mouth).
Old June 26 2013, 10:42 AM   #144
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I thought the third and fourth season were pretty good, myself. In fact, the 4th season format was, in my opinion, the best ever for Trek.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 26 2013, 05:15 PM   #145
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
I thought the third and fourth season were pretty good, myself. In fact, the 4th season format was, in my opinion, the best ever for Trek.
The fourth season format was good. But the episodes themselves were a little too much fanwank for me. Especially the Klingon plague episodes. The season felt like they said, "the average fan isn't watching anyone, so let's go mine history and create episodes around every tiny detail we can."
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #146
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I thought that the 4th season was the best. Some may complain about foreshadowing things in TOS, but I had no problem with it.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:21 PM   #147
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The fourth season format was good. But the episodes themselves were a little too much fanwank for me.
That's been a huge problem with Star Trek since even TMP, which wasn't a reboot but assumed people were familiar with the crew and ship and wanted to see 5 minutes of spinning around the new (glorious) model. TWOK brought back Khan. TSFS made a few references to old Trek, TFF felt like a TOS episode, etc. TNG did it a few times as well in the first season, and the entire premise of Voyager feels like a return to the golden age of Trek. Same with Enterprise. And now with the reboot. Trek has been riding on nostalgia for a long, long time.

Mind you, this isn't unique to Star Trek. The SW prequels and the 2014 Rebels series rely quite a bit on the original trilogy. Same with a lot of franchises.

What's interesting to me is the Japanese format for tv shows and anime, who typically (read: mostly, not always) run for a single season or half-season, then move on to another story/universe entirely.

Especially the Klingon plague episodes.
Yeah. I never felt the change in appearance needed an in-universe explanation. For what it's worth, however, it was well done.