Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 25 2013, 11:00 PM   #2431
Opus
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Console?

STiD is the highest grossing Trek film of all time. It has also done the best foreign draw of any Trek film as well.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:49 PM   #2432
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Had the day off so went to see this today and was surprised to see a pretty packed theater for a Tuesday matinee and a crowd of like 70% female.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:59 PM   #2433
Flake
Commodore

JamesRye wrote: View Post
Where do people think STID will top out at with the US gross.
$230 million?

I'm thinking the final figure is gonna be $455 to $460 million.

There's no justice when you see that Man of Steel is already at $400 million worldwide. Mind you, at least us Trekkies can console ourselves with the fact that we have the best critically rated summer movie (so far).
Star Trek is a 50 year old cult TV show associated with 'nerds, geeks and people living in moms basement' now morphed into a big-budget hollywood blockbuster. IM and MoS are movies tailor-made for mass audience with zero baggage! No need to console myself, yes I was disappointed it didn't do Iron Man business but I now realise it never can! So will Paramount. Too many people put off by stereotypes, stigmas & baggage. They assume they wont like it or they don't want to like it or be associated with it. ETC
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:18 AM   #2434
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Zero baggage? Ever seen Comic Book Guy?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:23 AM   #2435
Harvey
Admiral

For whatever reason, superhero movies have been accepted by mainstream audiences in the past ten years in a way that Star Trek has never been. At this point, I wouldn't say they have much baggage, no.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:38 AM   #2436
Opus
Commodore

I'd say it is less the baggage (I agree Trek holds a certain stigma in the mainstream) and more that the Superhero movies are the "in thing" right now in pop culture. A great actionfest superhero movie franchise is gangbusters right now.

And I give props to Disney for making The Avengers a must-see superhero movie franchise on par with Batman and Superman.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:57 AM   #2437
Dream
Admiral

This modern era of successful superhero movies started with first Blade movie in 1999. It has been going on for 15 years, with no signs of slowing down.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 04:13 AM   #2438
sonak
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
This modern era of successful superhero movies started with first Blade movie in 1999. It has been going on for 15 years, with no signs of slowing down.

I would say the Tobey Maguire "Spider-Man" movie in 2002 really kicked it off.
Old June 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #2439
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

Yeah, I doubt most people knew the Blade was from the comics. Is he even a "superhero" since his origins are in a horror comic? (Tomb of Dracula)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 10:12 AM   #2440
ROBE
Commander

What can I say men who used to wear their underwear on the outside but have now stopped, are the in thing.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 10:45 AM   #2441
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Actually I think Blade started it, and X-Men kicked it off. Other movies have increased the genre's success later.
Old June 26 2013, 11:56 AM   #2442
Captain Robau
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Flake wrote: View Post
JamesRye wrote: View Post
Where do people think STID will top out at with the US gross.
$230 million?

I'm thinking the final figure is gonna be $455 to $460 million.

There's no justice when you see that Man of Steel is already at $400 million worldwide. Mind you, at least us Trekkies can console ourselves with the fact that we have the best critically rated summer movie (so far).
Star Trek is a 50 year old cult TV show associated with 'nerds, geeks and people living in moms basement' now morphed into a big-budget hollywood blockbuster. IM and MoS are movies tailor-made for mass audience with zero baggage! No need to console myself, yes I was disappointed it didn't do Iron Man business but I now realise it never can! So will Paramount. Too many people put off by stereotypes, stigmas & baggage. They assume they wont like it or they don't want to like it or be associated with it. ETC
This. Exactly.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and see everyone asking why it wasn't as successful domestically as we would liked to have seen. The above is the answer.

I'm an engineer. I work with other engineers. We are all smart guys. 25% of us like Star Trek and have gone to see the film. The other 75% don't and haven't but have gone to see MoS and IM3.

This franchise has BAGGAGE. And a lot of it. And stigma. And a lot of that. I'm scared to tell people I'm a fan due to fear of losing my Man Card. That's the way its is. Regardless of whether you like JJ Trek or not, he made two good movies. If these movies weren't damn good and critically acclaimed, do you really think the box office would have even been close to what has been achieved? Hell no because Star Trek doesn't sell well to mainstream audiences. An excellent movie that can be enjoyed by anyone does. That's what these guys have done and I applaud them for it.
Captain Robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 02:42 PM   #2443
sonak
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post

Actually I think Blade started it, and X-Men kicked it off. Other movies have increased the genre's success later.
The original X-MEN only made about $150 million in domestic box office. And what was "Blade's" box office take?

"Spider-Man" made $400 million, really ushering in the superhero blockbuster.
Old June 26 2013, 02:58 PM   #2444
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It is still running in my local theater in Germany. But is demoted to a 3pm death slot.
I guess just the next week and then it's gone.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:42 PM   #2445
Borgminister

Round these parts 1 showing at 2 theaters, don't think it'll make July 4, but oh well... looking forward to the next one.

And if work permits, I'll have a farewell viewing on Friday.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote