Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 24 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Re: "Sir, D'Amato" ???

The series was full of audio errors and clipped dialog. It often happened when looped dialog wasn't timed right, it gets cut off. They clipped the "Mis- from Mister most likely so Kirk's dialog didn't step on D'Amato's. The Doomsday Machine has some also, when Kirk is telling Uhura to have McCoy, Scotty, and a damage control party meet in the transporter room. "Mr. Scott" is cut off very quickly. Kras in Friday's Child has some bad ADR: "You and your primitive knives and weapons" always sounded like it was mashed up. The DVD/BR audio track "fixes" it, adding a "your" before "weapons." Which sounds just as awful and is now incorrectly on the "original broadcast mono track."

So, no, it was never meant to call him "Sir." It was an audio glitch from day one and has been like this since the original night of broadcast.
Old June 25 2013, 02:41 AM   #17
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
Zaku wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post

At any rate give it a listen and take your guess what Shatner's line was supposed to be or perhaps the 23rd century knig of Italy had knighted D'Amato!
Fdx
The highest ranking honour in Italy is "Cavaliere di Gran Croce Decorato di Gran Cordone Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana" (Knight Grand Cross with Collar). Usually you use the form "Cavalier Rossi" ("Knight Rossi").

There is no title in Italy that you can translate with "Sir". We are a Republic after all

Probably in the 23rd century the House of Savoy had reclamed its rightful throne!
Either that, or they simply decided that to say his title correctly would need a two-parter!

I love the Italian language, can't speak it for crap, but it's one of those that seems to "flow".
Why assume D'Amato is from Italy? It's the 23rd Century. I know plenty of native born US citizens that have thick accents. Perhaps Sir D'Amato is from a country (or colony planet) that has a Monarchy that uses the honorific Sir and his parents spoke American English.

Or perhaps there was some inside joke among the crew that Kirk was aware of but we aren't.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:53 AM   #18
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

"Please"?
Old June 25 2013, 05:51 AM   #19
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Only question i now have is the error on the Blu-ray only or did the DVDs (and previous formats) have the same mistake.

I am going to grab a copy of the episode on DVD from my public library and listen and see. Perhaps it goes all the way back to 1968 and it was always a glitch.
It's on the old DVD box set as well. I wouldn't say it's "Sir" but there is definitely something there ... sounds more like "so" to my ears, not that "so" would make any more sense than "Sir".
Old June 25 2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Shatner said the line in question as the transporter room doors were closing. IIRC the doors made a loud noise which had to be edited out of the soundtrack, so any dialog spoken would also be lost, necessitating a loop (which was edited badly in the rerecording). This was probably why for the vast majority of dialog, the cast avoided speaking when doors were opening or closing.
Old June 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Sir is his first name. It's kinda like Guy. Became popular in the late 22nd century.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 10:59 PM   #22
Grant
Fleet Captain

He says 'Da-ma-to' I say 'Dee-a-ma-to'
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:10 PM   #23
Hambone
Fleet Captain

It's just Shatner's peculiar delivery of the line that makes it sound like a slurred "Sir D'Amato".

If you listen closely, throughout the series you'll also hear him address "Miss Spock" and "Misser Sulu".

Not to mention in "The Gamesters of Triskelion" he shouts "What's happening to Lt. Youhura?!!"
Old June 25 2013, 11:39 PM   #24
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Zaku wrote: View Post
Probably in the 23rd century the House of Savoy had reclamed its rightful throne!
The Savoy had their turn, and they fucked it. Now it's time for the House of Iguana.
Old June 26 2013, 06:05 AM   #25
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Sir is his first name. It's kinda like Guy. Became popular in the late 22nd century.
You mean like "Mister" Spock?
Old June 27 2013, 04:02 PM   #26
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Hambone wrote: View Post
It's just Shatner's peculiar delivery of the line that makes it sound like a slurred "Sir D'Amato".

If you listen closely, throughout the series you'll also hear him address "Miss Spock" and "Misser Sulu".

Not to mention in "The Gamesters of Triskelion" he shouts "What's happening to Lt. Youhura?!!"
Quite true. And we thought Nimoy was the drunk one!

"Slurred D'Amato."
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 10:18 PM   #27
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Hambone wrote: View Post

It wasn't Shatner's delivery. Somebody sabotaaged the dialog track!
Old June 29 2013, 08:27 AM   #28
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

There's another scene that's always bothered me, but for the opposite reason.

At the very beginning of the first act of "The Cloud Minders," when Kirk and the landing party have been lassoed, Kirk has a line that's something like "Who are you? What is the meaning of this?" But his lips never move. I've never understood why the scene was edited this way - was there another take of Shatner actually delivering the line, but the director decided to use one in which he wasn't, for some reason? Or was the line looped in afterwards because it was decided that a shot of the landing party reacting without speaking looked strange?
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 07:15 PM   #29
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

First of all D'Amato speaks English with a american accent--so i guess at some point in the future we become a kingdom again!

Whoa the british reconquer america.
I've always assumed that they conquered France at some point in Trek's future history, given the very British nature of the Picard family....
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 07:18 PM   #30
Grant
Fleet Captain

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
There's another scene that's always bothered me, but for the opposite reason.

At the very beginning of the first act of "The Cloud Minders," when Kirk and the landing party have been lassoed, Kirk has a line that's something like "Who are you? What is the meaning of this?" But his lips never move. I've never understood why the scene was edited this way - was there another take of Shatner actually delivering the line, but the director decided to use one in which he wasn't, for some reason? Or was the line looped in afterwards because it was decided that a shot of the landing party reacting without speaking looked strange?
Yeah, that's a real annoying glitch. Sad thing is that TUC--- 22 years later has 3 similar instances of actors talking without their lips moving.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote