Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2013, 03:44 AM   #61
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: World War Z ratings/spoilers

You do realize zombies are not real and that there have been many different interpretations and takes on them throughout popular culture, right? I mean, I don't think zombies can perform a well choreographed 1980s dance routine, either.
Old June 25 2013, 08:18 AM   #62
EmoBorg
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I mean, I don't think zombies can perform a well choreographed 1980s dance routine, either.
Somewhere Michael Jackson is turning over in his grave because of the quote above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 03:44 PM   #63
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

I liked it a lot. I went in expecting little because of all the production disaster news I had heard, but I left enjoying it thoroughly. I've not read the book, so I can't speak to the faithfulness to the source material, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really tied in that well.

Then ending was a bit weak and felt a bit rushed, but it didn't ruin it for me.
Old June 25 2013, 04:38 PM   #64
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I mean, I don't think zombies can perform a well choreographed 1980s dance routine, either.
Somewhere Michael Jackson is turning over in his grave because of the quote above.
He'd have to turn over. Moonwalking is a difficult maneuver inside a box...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:40 PM   #65
EmoBorg
Captain

TheMurph wrote: View Post
I liked it a lot. I went in expecting little because of all the production disaster news I had heard, but I left enjoying it thoroughly. I've not read the book, so I can't speak to the faithfulness to the source material, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really tied in that well.

Then ending was a bit weak and felt a bit rushed, but it didn't ruin it for me.
The original ending had a 30 to 40 minute scene featuring a battle in Russia which was cut in favor of the WHO Scene in Wales. Damn i wish i could get my hands on that original scene.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world...-ending-2013-6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:47 PM   #66
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

You do realize zombies are not real and that there have been many different interpretations and takes on them throughout popular culture, right? I mean, I don't think zombies can perform a well choreographed 1980s dance routine, either.
In all the zombie movies I'm aware of, not once have they ever shown signs of intelligence of any kind. (Indeed, almost by definition, a zombie is a creature without intelligence.) The only difference is some vague hinting in the final George Romero movie, and even then, the dead are only instinctively acting out parts of their former lives. They don't really know what they're doing.

Hell, even the Rage victims in the "28" films aren't intelligent, and they're not even dead!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:52 PM   #67
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In all the zombie movies I'm aware of, not once have they ever shown signs of intelligence of any kind. (Indeed, almost by definition, a zombie is a creature without intelligence.) The only difference is some vague hinting in the final George Romero movie, and even then, the dead are only instinctively acting out parts of their former lives. They don't really know what they're doing.

Hell, even the Rage victims in the "28" films aren't intelligent, and they're not even dead!
Day of the Dead Romero Film had Bud, who was intelligent
FIDO had intelligent Zombies being kept as Pets
Warm Bodies (I haven't seen it) apparently has intelligent Zombies coming back from Zombism

There are numerous examples of intelligent Zombies. I happen to be one who doesn't appreciate most movies with intelligent Zombies in them, but, it's certainly not an unheard of interpretation

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:56 PM   #68
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

What "intelligence" are you seeing, really? It doesn't take a genius to think 'Me hungry, there food, go get it." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think "Food no good, stay away." You don't have to be Albert Frigging Einstein to think "That's in way of food. Climb over it." Nothing the zombies did in this movie displayed any more intelligence than a shark hunting down its next meal.

-Tom Clancy
Old June 25 2013, 07:21 PM   #69
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

What "intelligence" are you seeing, really? It doesn't take a genius to think 'Me hungry, there food, go get it." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think "Food no good, stay away." You don't have to be Albert Frigging Einstein to think "That's in way of food. Climb over it." Nothing the zombies did in this movie displayed any more intelligence than a shark hunting down its next meal.
I haven't seen the movie, but, it's not uncommon for Zombies to be guided by a sense of smell.

Many Zombie movies have Zombies only go after Humans. It must be the keen sense of smell that distinguishes a Human from a Dog (such as in Dawn of the Dead Remake 2004, but, it's common in many Zombie movies that animals are safe).

In the TV Series The Walking Dead, early in Season 1, our Heroes slop themselves up with Zombie guts and go unnoticed by Zombies until Rain washes the Zombie guts. At the end of S2 a new character shows up with "Pet Zombies" that she uses to keep other Zombies away, and in S3, there are several instances of using "defanged" Zombies to throw dangerous Zombies off their scent.

So, a Terminal Disease, that contaminates your scent, could be giving off an unappealing scent to the Zombies.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:23 AM   #70
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

I haven't seen the movie, but, it's not uncommon for Zombies to be guided by a sense of smell.

Many Zombie movies have Zombies only go after Humans. It must be the keen sense of smell that distinguishes a Human from a Dog (such as in Dawn of the Dead Remake 2004, but, it's common in many Zombie movies that animals are safe).

In the TV Series The Walking Dead, early in Season 1, our Heroes slop themselves up with Zombie guts and go unnoticed by Zombies until Rain washes the Zombie guts. At the end of S2 a new character shows up with "Pet Zombies" that she uses to keep other Zombies away, and in S3, there are several instances of using "defanged" Zombies to throw dangerous Zombies off their scent.

So, a Terminal Disease, that contaminates your scent, could be giving off an unappealing scent to the Zombies.
You're right. This is kind of what i've been trying to tell Mr. L. Beam. The zombies don't have to be these superintelligent unfathomable things to do the things they did in the movie. That's what i liked about them. They're different from zombies in other movies, but not so different that they're a completely different monster.

-Tom Clancy
Old June 27 2013, 02:01 AM   #71
throwback
Captain

I liked the movie. After the dreary Man of Steel, where I felt that I went down two miles into the dark ocean, this movie moved me back closer to the surface.

I think Gerry's decision would not be unfamiliar to Star Trek fans. There was a time when Leonard McCoy made a decision to inject himself with a medicine in a situation where he didn't know if his actions would save his life or condemn him to death.

A member of the staff at the WHO mentioned there was a natural precedent for what humans did at the end of the movie. Does anyone know what that precedent was?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 02:08 AM   #72
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I think Gerry's decision would not be unfamiliar to Star Trek fans. There was a time when Leonard McCoy made a decision to inject himself with a medicine in a situation where he didn't know if his actions would save his life or condemn him to death.
And all he was under threat of was some kids wanting to bash him in the head!

But I believe even in our own real-world history of medical science scientists and doctors have experimented on themselves or close family members with unproven medical cures/treatments.
Old June 27 2013, 09:35 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Went with the wife to see it.

She read and loved the book. She couldn't take her eyes off the screen during the movie and loved the whole thing.

Zombie movies are something that I'm really not interested in but this wasn't a bad movie by any stretch and was entertaining most of the way through.

Last edited by BillJ; June 28 2013 at 02:40 PM.
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 12:51 AM   #74
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

I read the book a couple times now and loved it overall, but boy am I glad some of the stupid shit from that book didn't make it into this movie. Like Zombies being unaffected by most modern battlefield weapons (50 cals turn humans into ground chuck, Max), or a Battle of Yonkers scenario where armored columns get overrun, and no line of soldiers with .22s calmly head-shotting a slow-moving horde.

I really enjoyed this. I liked the changes from wide-scale to small-scale and back again. The soldiers were all badass and kewl, especially the bald Israeli chick. I'm not sure why Matthew Fox was in this except as bait for the sequel maybe, or he really wanted to be in a zombie movie, but whatev.

I would have made it a hard R, but gore isn't essential for the story this movie told, so no big loss there.

The only people I can recall actively sacrificing themselves for Gerry were US and Israeli SpecForces soldiers who were informed about his mission to find Patient Zero and/or a possible cure.

The zombies moving like an army of ants was pretty cool, actually. When the first trailers came out, I was like Huh? Wha? But it turned out to be pretty cool looking when it happened and gave the zombies a much needed level of threat that, realistically, shambling zombie hordes really don't have.

The moment he gave the wife the phone you knew it was going to ring at the worst possible moment. That was lame. His wife was irritating too. Leave it to the woman to get mugged during the apocalypse (I kid ) And his kids were so friggin annoying. I thought we'd be stuck with them the whole movie, but thankfully only through act one. I can't stand 99.99% of child actors and these were no exception. Clementine they were not.

They definitely want this to be a series and it comes across as a plausible prequel to the non-lame events described in the book. Presumably, they could then actually use a lot more of the book in future installments as the war rages on.

I give it an A and I'll be getting the DVD. Zombies are sweet!
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 01:13 AM   #75
sojourner
Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
I read the book a couple times now and loved it overall, but boy am I glad some of the stupid shit from that book didn't make it into this movie. Like Zombies being unaffected by most modern battlefield weapons (50 cals turn humans into ground chuck, Max), or a Battle of Yonkers scenario where armored columns get overrun, and no line of soldiers with .22s calmly head-shotting a slow-moving horde.
Are you sure you read the book several times? Max went into pretty good detail about why the battle of Yonkers turned out the way it did. Most notably, in this universe there were no zombie movies. No one knew that head shots were the only way to kill them. There was also the shortage of ammo, if I recall, due to the numbers of zombies being very under estimated. About the only thing he missed was the fact that concussive forces from the bombs would have turned the zombie brains to mush, destroying them as effectively as a bullet to the head.