RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,771
Posts: 5,434,227
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

German Volkswagen Campaign Features Trek Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Shatner And Nimoy In Trek 3?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 25 2013, 04:16 AM   #1
StarMan
Vice Admiral
 
StarMan's Avatar
 
Location: ... in another place.
Was There Enough DETONATION?

I'm always sheepish to admit that I love a well-choreographed space battle in Star Trek. I have been shot down by the more devoted fan-type who insists Star Trek is about something more noble than wanton spectacle. Well, fine then; I love the deep and meaningful stuff as well. However, I just have this thing for awesome fucking space battles and - goddammit - why were they not in STiD?

The scenes we got seemed so brief - my appetite had been whet but we never got to the main course. I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this estimation, is all...
__________________
Let's rock!
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Silversmok3
Commander
 
Silversmok3's Avatar
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm always sheepish to admit that I love a well-choreographed space battle in Star Trek. I have been shot down by the more devoted fan-type who insists Star Trek is about something more noble than wanton spectacle. Well, fine then; I love the deep and meaningful stuff as well. However, I just have this thing for awesome fucking space battles and - goddammit - why were they not in STiD?

The scenes we got seemed so brief - my appetite had been whet but we never got to the main course. I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this estimation, is all...
Seems you're alone in this regard.

Rest assured,I like a drawn out space battle. But there's no context for it in STID. The Enterprise faces off against a ship which completely outclasses it in every respect. The fact that the Enterprise lasted as long as it did was a miracle.

When Ship A has ten times the firepower as Ship B, there's no plausible way to write a script calling for a long space battle between the two. The audience would be logically thinking "why doesn't Ship A just blast Ship B out of the stars?" A good example of how bad that is can be seen in Generations. Anyone casually versed in Trek tech knows a Galaxy class ship would utterly crush a Klingon Bird of Prey, shields or no. Yet that's not how it turned out on screen-But we got a long space fight out of it!
__________________
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under Heaven:A time to heal, A time to break down, and a time to build up.
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

I would settle for more glamour shots of the Enterprise. Our introduction to the ship in ST09 when Kirk looks out the window of the shuttle just didn't cut it for me. I'm not saying I need a 5-minute tour around the ship like we had in TMP, but I'd like something.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
When Ship A has ten times the firepower as Ship B, there's no plausible way to write a script calling for a long space battle between the two. The audience would be logically thinking "why doesn't Ship A just blast Ship B out of the stars?" A good example of how bad that is can be seen in Generations. Anyone casually versed in Trek tech knows a Galaxy class ship would utterly crush a Klingon Bird of Prey, shields or no. Yet that's not how it turned out on screen-But we got a long space fight out of it!
In the case of STID, I don't think that's so. Scotty was aboard the Vengeance, so he could have done whatever sabotage was necessary to even the odds. In fact, he did, though the Enterprise couldn't fight at that point. Giving the Enterprise the ability to fight would have fundamentally altered the rest of the film, though.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm always sheepish to admit that I love a well-choreographed space battle in Star Trek. I have been shot down by the more devoted fan-type who insists Star Trek is about something more noble than wanton spectacle. Well, fine then; I love the deep and meaningful stuff as well. However, I just have this thing for awesome fucking space battles and - goddammit - why were they not in STiD?

The scenes we got seemed so brief - my appetite had been whet but we never got to the main course. I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this estimation, is all...
Seems you're alone in this regard.

Rest assured,I like a drawn out space battle. But there's no context for it in STID. The Enterprise faces off against a ship which completely outclasses it in every respect. The fact that the Enterprise lasted as long as it did was a miracle.

When Ship A has ten times the firepower as Ship B, there's no plausible way to write a script calling for a long space battle between the two. The audience would be logically thinking "why doesn't Ship A just blast Ship B out of the stars?" A good example of how bad that is can be seen in Generations. Anyone casually versed in Trek tech knows a Galaxy class ship would utterly crush a Klingon Bird of Prey, shields or no. Yet that's not how it turned out on screen-But we got a long space fight out of it!
I'm not sure the fight between the Ent-D and the bird of prey in Generations was that long. The BOP fired a few times, the Enterprise fired one measley phaser shot, and then one torpedo
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

I really believe we should have had more detonation.

We didn't even see Marcus's head detonate properly!!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm always sheepish to admit that I love a well-choreographed space battle in Star Trek. I have been shot down by the more devoted fan-type who insists Star Trek is about something more noble than wanton spectacle. Well, fine then; I love the deep and meaningful stuff as well. However, I just have this thing for awesome fucking space battles and - goddammit - why were they not in STiD?

The scenes we got seemed so brief - my appetite had been whet but we never got to the main course. I'm curious to know if I'm alone in this estimation, is all...
It's a result of Abrams's "artistic sensibilities." Supposedly, jerky shaky cam that never focuses too long on anything and whatever you do see is obscured by lens flare is how he feels Star Trek should look.

And yeah, where were the detonations? The very first official plot description promised the fleet would be detonated. Yet this didn't happen. WTF?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

I could see what was going on just fine. Perhaps you need spectacles?
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

Certainly not, indeed I'm the only one in my family who doesn't need glasses at all. I just need the camera to stand still, and for there to not be so many lens flares.

Anyone remember the days when lens flares were considered unprofessional and filmmakers were taught to avoid having them?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:22 PM   #10
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

Yes, there needed to be more detonations. I expected to see the torpedoes slam into Qo'nos and detonate Ketha.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:31 PM   #11
anh165
Commander
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

The storyline required to put Kirk in a situation of being out of his depth.

I thought the engagement between the Vengeance and Enterprise the right sort of space battle.
__________________
No animals were harmed during posting ...
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Silversmok3
Commander
 
Silversmok3's Avatar
 
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

The story also reflects a more realistic depiction of combat.

As the Marines say on occasion,if you're in a fair fight you made a tactical mistake somewhere. In real life combat is short,brutal,and efficiently deadly.Just like the fight in STID.
__________________
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under Heaven:A time to heal, A time to break down, and a time to build up.
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 06:22 PM   #13
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
The story also reflects a more realistic depiction of combat.

As the Marines say on occasion,if you're in a fair fight you made a tactical mistake somewhere. In real life combat is short,brutal,and efficiently deadly.Just like the fight in STID.
That's an excellent point. The Vengeance got her punches in before Scotty's sabotage, and they counted. That's to be expected in the situation.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 07:42 PM   #14
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Anyone remember the days when lens flares were considered unprofessional and filmmakers were taught to avoid having them?
Well, no. If such days ever truly existed, they were before my time and yours.

Basically, if you tried to set up your shot to avoid lens flare and ended up with lens flare anyway, then that was inept and unprofessional. However, if you deliberately set up your shot with the intent to produce lens flare and you got lens flare, then it was an acceptable artistic choice and entirely professional.
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 12:18 AM   #15
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Was There Enough DETONATION?

bullethead wrote: View Post
Yes, there needed to be more detonations. I expected to see the torpedoes slam into Qo'nos and detonate Ketha.
I expected all of London to be detonated, judging by the post-detonation landscape of the posters.

I was looking forward to this.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.