Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 24 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
SJK91
Ensign

The Last Star Trek Film You Watched

Greetings, all.

This is my first post into the world of Star Trek, so I'm pretty pumped. Just a little backstory: After walking out of Star Trek Into Darkness very pleased (to the dismay of some of you), it hit me that I had NEVER seen any older Star Trek film, Kirk nor Picard. Well, that is about to change.

Surprisingly, I wasn't able to find this thread anywhere on this site, so I dedicate it to the last star trek film you watched. Feel free to post, and be as detailed or concise as you want. Use this thread for first viewings and for lazy Sunday re-watches, too!

I have started my trek into the films of Star Trek, and have just recently completed.....

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The Director's Edition)

I'll just get this one out of the way - yes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some SERIOUS pacing issues. It is far too long, and likely could have been cut by at least 20 minutes.

However...

I was surprised by how intellectual the film is. I found the plot with V'ger quite fascinating - so much so that it almost made up for the lack of forward action in the story. Because pacing aside, TMP's strongest trait is its plot. It takes a while for things to get moving during the entire course of the film, but when they are moving, the film is can actually be fairly strong. I read that the director, Robert Wise, wanted this film to be the "spiritual successor" to 2001: A Space Odyssey. While TMP is obviously not as good as A Space Odyssey, I can appreciate the 2001 influence TMP has. And indeed, Star Trek: The Motion Picture does capture some of the tones of the Kubrick classic.

Some people scoff at the fact that TMP is pretty much a reunion film, but (with the exception of the 3 hour long introduction of the Enterprise) I thought the re-introductions of the characters were done well enough. I can already tell that Dr. "Bones" McCoy is going to be a favorite of mine. Then there is (in)famous Captain Kirk. William Shatner is an acquired taste, that is for sure. But his screen presence is fantastic, and I thought Shatner whips up a very respectable performance.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The excessive length can be incredibly tedious and should not be overlooked, but I found it to be the film's only significant flaw. (Albeit it is a fairly large one.) If you stick with the film and push your attention span to its limits, TMP contains a very interesting story.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Jerry Goldsmith's score is a big reason why some of the overly long special effects shots didn't bore me (as much as it would have). Goldsmith's score is both haunting and elegant, and it makes for one hell of a soundtrack. Certainly one of the best sci-fi scores I've ever heard.

Footnote: I understand that the Director's Edition of this film is better than the original theatrical version. I am almost unsure if I even want to watch the theatrical version now, as I did mostly enjoy this director's cut.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) (1979) - 7/10

Up next....

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition)

A final footnote: If I should be posting this in another thread, I would not be offended if one of you moderators directed me to it! Much appreciated!

Last edited by SJK91; June 24 2013 at 09:03 PM.
SJK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: The Last Star Trek Film You Watched

The last Star Trek film I watched was Star Trek: Into Darkness. The last original film I watched was Star Trek: The Voyage Home. It is still a favorite of mine.

Once you have finished all the ST films, may I suggest watching Galaxy Quest? It is an homage to Star Trek's original series.
Old June 24 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Into Darkness for me also.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Faria
Lieutenant

Into Darkness, and i didn't like it
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Into Darkness, of course.
Old June 24 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Third Nacelle
Captain

I saw Into Darkness a couple weeks ago, but upon getting home, I had to watch its antithesis: The Voyage Home.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 02:43 AM   #8
Pondwater
Commodore

Star Trek (2009), it was on FX today.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 03:00 AM   #9
bbailey861
Admiral

Into Darkness. I enjoyed the ride.
bbailey861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:35 AM   #10
Caesar753
Commander

I watched TWOK maybe a week ago. I'll never get sick of that movie.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
SJK91
Ensign

Continuing my very first trek into the films of Star Trek.....

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition)

In order to somewhat prep myself for the viewing of this film, I watched the Original Series episode, "Space Seed," to get some backstory.

The plot of TWOK is actually relatively simple and less cerebral than the film in which it followed, but I don't view that as a detriment. Having a simpler plot allowed TWOK to have far better pacing than TMP, and therefore makes for a more exciting viewing experience. Having the story that somewhat "checks up" on a villain of yesteryear was an interesting premise and I believe that TWOK pulls it off.

The Wrath of Khan also features some nifty subplots that lifts the film beyond a simple revenge based sci-fi adventure. Kirk's worries about his age loom over the whole film, and when Spock is jettisoned into space at the very end, Kirk's realization of feeling young makes for a great moment. The addition of Kirk's son was also a nice touch - all this parading around space hasn't been without its consequences. TWOK does a great job in bringing the larger than life Kirk down to a humble human being.

A special mention must also be made to the now famous 'Spock sacrifice' scene. The decision for Spock to sacrifice himself not only made for a neat twist, but gave the character a human trait not often associated with him. His eventual death with Kirk is a very good scene, too. Leonard Nimoy is just fantastic.

Ricardo Montalban made for a decent enough villain of the week on TOS, but hot damn did he become one of sci-fi's greatest villains in TWOK. Khan is a deliciously evil and cunning character. He is smooth yet crazed. Brilliant, but at the same time, unstable. (He is also obsessed on cold-served revenge.) Montalban steals the show here and he is a very large reason why TWOK works so well. Talk about having a screen presence.

Not to be outdone (naturally) is William Shatner. Like I said in my TMP review, he is one to get used to, but I feel I am already there. The greatest scene is the film is easily Kirk's confrontation with Khan via the communicator ("Khan you bloodsucker!"), and that truly is a feat. The two characters never actually meet in this scene, but through Montalban's and, dare I say it, Shatner's performances, the scene makes for one of the most memorable in sci-fi cinema. Deforest Kelley, James Doohan and the rest of the regulars are as reliable as ever, as well.

Now, here is where I may surprise some of you. I do believe there is just one major thing Star Trek: The Motion Picture did BETTER than Star Trek II - and that was create mood. TMP painted a very mysterious and almost frightening image of space, and sometimes even went out of its way to do so. It doesn't seem to me this was fully realized in The Wrath of Khan - not to say that this is a fatal flaw, but one of my reasons for enjoying TMP was its ominous and intimidating depiction of space. (Perhaps this stems from the fact that I found Goldsmith's elegantly eerie TMP score slightly more effective than Horner's bombastic one. Though TWOK's score is still great.)

Something silly, but it must be mentioned: For some odd reason I was annoyed at the reused special effects footage from The Motion Picture. Of course, this was pretty much a non issue and I understand that it was done for budgetary restrictions, but it was so damned obvious to me - particularly the reused shot of the Enterprise that was the final (and slightly iconic) shot of The Motion Picture. Did they think people wouldn't recognize that?!

In the end, however, The Wrath of Khan is an improvement over its predecessor. With a great villain, simple but engaging plot and small but effective human touches, I can fully understand why many consider TWOK to be such a classic.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition) (1982) - 8.5/10
2. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) (1979) - 7/10

Up next....

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

*** - Minor revision: I'm changing TWOK from an 8 to an 8.5. The more I think about it, the better it was.

Last edited by SJK91; June 26 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old June 25 2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Belz...
Fleet Captain

First Contact, for me.

SJK91 wrote: View Post
Did they think people wouldn't recognize that?!
Remember that home video wasn't what it is today, back then.
Old June 25 2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Use of Time
Commodore

Into Darkness.
Old June 25 2013, 04:31 PM   #14
SJK91
Ensign

Belz... wrote: View Post
SJK91 wrote: View Post
Did they think people wouldn't recognize that?!
Remember that home video wasn't what it is today, back then.
I suppose you are correct. Never actually thought of home video as a factor for that.
Old June 25 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Star Trek 2009 with my six-year old son last night on FX.