Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Vote away
Generations 24 19.05%
First Contact 7 5.56%
Insurrection 37 29.37%
Nemesis 58 46.03%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 24 2013, 11:53 PM   #16
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: What is your least favourite TNG film

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They all suck. As such, I loathe them all equally.
^ This.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:49 AM   #17
StarMan
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it's First Contact. Loved the opening part with the Battle of Sector 001, but the sudden switch to a time travel story really blows it for me. I think they missed an opportunity to do a big-scale, galaxy-spanning story that would have made "Best of Both Worlds" look tame in comparison, IMO (for those who have read the post-TNG novels, we ultimately got that with the Destiny trilogy).
Yes, you're not wrong. When I re-watch First contact I always enjoy immensely up to the point where the sphere goes back in time. After that, I tend to skip ahead.

Good observation. Up till now I wasn't conscious of how much of the movie I skipped.

As for worst - had to go to Nemesis. It is consistently un-watchable. Given the strength of the series finale, it's such a shame this pile of garbage was the last voyage we bore witness to.
Old June 25 2013, 05:00 AM   #18
Goji
Rear Admiral

Generations, easily. I hated what they did to Kirk in that movie. I was never as attached to the TNG crew, so nothing Nemesis or Insurrection did to them upset me much (though they were certainly both mediocre movies). I still like First Contact.
Old June 25 2013, 05:10 AM   #19
Opus
Commodore

Nemesis:

1.) The premise was stupid. Essentially a clone is a twin. There are plenty of them around who don't have so many deep conversations about how they know what each other is thinking or doing blah blah blah...

But the biggest sin it committed...

2.) It was just damn boring. What action it had was broken up with long drawn out monologues. It was self-indulgent, pseudo-intellectual crap.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 05:15 AM   #20
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Generations. Most convoluted, contradictory, unsatisfying of the 4.
Old June 25 2013, 05:56 AM   #21
BruntFCA
Commander

I went with Nemisis because it's painfully boring

Inssurection is horribly written but being a big TNG fan I can still enjoy it as a somewhat fun romp

Generations has some great individual scenes but doesn't really work as a whole

Fist Contact is my favorite ST movie and one of my favorite movies period despite its faults (I've seen FC over a dozen times and still don't have any idea what the Borgs plan was in the beginning)
Old June 25 2013, 02:17 PM   #22
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They all suck. As such, I loathe them all equally.
To a point. Generations was worse than the rest and First Contact better than the others.

They were all pretty poor though - not a patch on the series...
Me too, Schmoo
Old June 26 2013, 03:29 AM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

The trouble with all four of the TNG movies is they came out of Rick Berman's patented Script-o-Matic™. They hit the same beats and almost no thought seems to have gone into making them genuinely different to each other (First Contact probably comes closest). They're generically bland. There's no life in them, no soul. Not for nothing was somebody able to come up with the Star Trek TNG Movie Plot Generator (http://www.impossiblefunky.com/tngpg.html).

You know, the Original Trek movies all at least felt unique, they felt like somebody had sat down and said "Okay, in this movie we're going to do X and move Y and make sure that Z happens". The TNG movies all feel like they had a format which they stuck to unwaveringly through all four instlaments. Rick Berman applied television production logic to the movie screen (you gotta churn out those sausages in time for the release date, no time to stop and think, just get them on that production line and start working on the next one!), whereas the TOS movie people seemed to approach each movie as a new challenge that was designed to push the franchise a little further. The TNG movies lacked ambition of any kind. They were simply a 'product'.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 03:48 AM   #24
Mr_Homn
Captain

It's really hard to choose which one was the worst. All of them suck, but there are some good parts to be found.

I like Generations purely for nostalgic reasons, and because of fan service. Kirk and Picard in the same movie, no matter how contrived and poorly handled, is still conceptually cool. The music is great, too.

I like First Contact because it had the best directing of any of the movies, by a large margin. Action Picard sucks, though, and the idea of a borg queen is fucking stupid.

I like Insurrection because it featured a number of nice character moments, like Geordi seeing a rainbow (echoing back to the second episode of the series) and the fact that it contained a moral dilemma (even if they handled it poorly)... The movie looked cheap as fuck, though.

I like Nemesis because...... Because...... Wait, I don't like anything about Nemesis. Except the deleted scenes.... and Chateau Picard. At least it looked bigger budget than the cheap ass looking Insurrection.

I guess Nemesis is the worst.
Old June 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #25
sonak
Vice Admiral

Insurrection

a poorly thought-out premise and dilemma, a small-scale story not fit for a TNG feature, lame, embarrassing humor(shades of TFF) and it takes half the movie to really get going.

This was where the TNG movies went wrong. They squandered the momentum of FC on this, and the film series didn't recover.

I'll sum up the poorly thought-out nature of the story with this example:

how did a group of non-technological pacifists defeat and expel a group that embraced technology and used violence?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
The trouble with all four of the TNG movies is they came out of Rick Berman's patented Script-o-Matic™. They hit the same beats and almost no thought seems to have gone into making them genuinely different to each other (First Contact probably comes closest). They're generically bland. There's no life in them, no soul.
And little payoff for non-fans.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 11:37 AM   #27
Trek Survivor
Captain

I actually rather like them all; however, "Insurrection" is probably my least favourite. Still good, just not as good as the others.
Old June 26 2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Picard Alpha
Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
The trouble with all four of the TNG movies is they came out of Rick Berman's patented Script-o-Matic™. They hit the same beats and almost no thought seems to have gone into making them genuinely different to each other (First Contact probably comes closest). They're generically bland. There's no life in them, no soul. Not for nothing was somebody able to come up with the Star Trek TNG Movie Plot Generator (http://www.impossiblefunky.com/tngpg.html).

You know, the Original Trek movies all at least felt unique, they felt like somebody had sat down and said "Okay, in this movie we're going to do X and move Y and make sure that Z happens". The TNG movies all feel like they had a format which they stuck to unwaveringly through all four instlaments. Rick Berman applied television production logic to the movie screen (you gotta churn out those sausages in time for the release date, no time to stop and think, just get them on that production line and start working on the next one!), whereas the TOS movie people seemed to approach each movie as a new challenge that was designed to push the franchise a little further. The TNG movies lacked ambition of any kind. They were simply a 'product'.
Oh my! I had way too much fun with this.

--------

The film opens with some credits that make the audience's eyes hurt.

After the credits, we see Picard pooping. This confuses the audience to no end.

Next, we cut to the Enterprise. Throughout the movie, the ship interiors are filmed too dark to see things clearly. On the Enterprise, we see the TNG crew. They are on a nearby planet raking leaves on an alien world to lend a helping hand to it's inhabitants. During this scene, Picard complains about his advanced age and all of the leaves they have to clean up.

There is an incoming hail, where Picard is instructed that Picard and the TNG crew must respond to a distress signal in a very distant sector of space. Strangely, Enterprise is the only ship in range...Thus, beginning their mission.

When they arrive at this mission, Data accidentally rips his pants.

This scene abruptly switches to a scene involving a sudden warp core failure in engineering. A rouge spark 'accidentally' falls into Geordi's hair. He ponders if it's sentient, and calls for Data to examine closer. This scene could have been very action-packed, but is very short, unfortunately. We never resolve whether the spark gained sentience.

Later on, Picard finally finds out that an evil alien named Tymar is purposely disabling ships warp cores using strange anomalies in space., and thus the plot of the film finally begins.

As the crew work toward resolving this plot, a member of the TNG crew talks to Q, though this person doesn't really help anything.

Then, Tymar, the film's obvious bad guy, is revealed. But Tymar is not REALLY that bad, because this villian didn't know his technology was harming nearby ships..

The crew then learns that the entire quadrant is in grave danger! They must come to the rescue!

While they are working on this rescue, Data sings 'Today by Smashing Pumpkins.' The audience groans.

A little later, Worf slips on a banana peel left by Data to feed Troi. This ticks off many Worf fans in the audience.

Later on, Troi, who had nothing else to do in the film, accidentally chokes to death on a peanut..

A little later, Riker shaves more than just his beard this time. The audience doesn't laugh, however.

Trying to resolve things, Picard and his Away Team beam down to the cornfields of a random town called Broken Bow, wherever that is.. Which looks almost cinematic, but not quite.

Crusher and Geordi do absolutely nothing for the duration of the film.

Then, for no reason, someone in the film says 'bitch!' The audience pretends this is cool and edgy.

Finally, the crew discovers that Tymar has a Binford 9000! This makes the situation very dangerous!

In reaction to this, one of the crewmembers says 'When it rains, it pours!' ...even though this makes no sense.

In their attempts to stop Tymar, Enterprise has a massive space battle, the borg show up briefly, oh yeah, throw in some Ferengi warships from season one too. Enterprise, now crippled crawls away to safety. This looks really cool... but doesn't stop Tymar.

Soon, Riker shoots at Geordi. But this doesn't help anything.

There is a final showdown in a nebula called the Belzarian rift. Almost defeated, Tymar, in a fit of rage, attempts to activate his Binford 9000! Time is running out, so Picard beams over and attempts to stop him.

Eventually, Picard violently and mercilessly kills Tymar by driving over him several thousand times with his Argo. Picard is almost killed in the process, but luckily bolian hairdresser Mot saves Picard at the last moment.

Later, Picard contemplates on what has happened. As a result of this mission, Picard has resolved his problems with all of the leaves they had to clean up earlier in the film. Picard then gives a speech about illegal lending practices aboard the Enterprise..

The TNG crew then beams back to the Enterprise, which warps off into space.

The TNG theme plays on the soundtrack.
Picard Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 02:16 PM   #29
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Picard Alpha wrote: View Post
...Picard then gives a speech about illegal lending practices aboard the Enterprise..

The TNG crew then beams back to the Enterprise, which warps off into space.

The TNG theme plays on the soundtrack.
I don't understand anything about this post, but I still think it's funny as hell.
Old June 28 2013, 03:22 PM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Dangit, I missed the "least" part of "least favorite" in the thread title, and voted Generations!

I guess I'll throw my actual vote to Nemesis. Especially since XI essentially remade it, it's disposable and fatally short on fun.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote