Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 24 2013, 05:47 PM   #31
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: British series approach?

I assume by the British approach you mean shorter seasons, which I would be all for.

Don't get me wrong, the more Trek, the better as far as I am concerned.

That being said all of my favorite TV shows are either on HBO or AMC and they all have shortened seasons and have all been critically acclaimed and they all represent different genres.

I think Star Trek would be a perfect fit for that style of show. Plus fewer episodes mean larger effects budgets.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:09 PM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

Fewer episodes doesn't mean more money. Where do people get this idea from?

i.e. If a show costs say US$4m per episode, then a 20 episode season would have a budget of US$80m, converesly a 10 episode season would have a budget of US$40m
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:11 PM   #33
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

It's even worse than that. If a show has a budget of $4m/episode. That gets spent lets say $3m/episode variable costs and $1m/episode amortizing fixed costs. If the show only has 10 episodes, then its budget needs to become either $3m variable plus $2m amortizing fixed or more likely $2m variable and $2m amortizing fixed. So cutting the episode count either forces more to be spent per episode or forces fixed costs to take up a higher portion of the budget and results in even less money for variable costs(ie fx).

You can argue that cutting the episode count helps creatively, but from a budget perspective it's a disaster.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 08:06 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
It's even worse than that. If a show has a budget of $4m/episode. That gets spent lets say $3m/episode variable costs and $1m/episode amortizing fixed costs. If the show only has 10 episodes, then its budget needs to become either $3m variable plus $2m amortizing fixed or more likely $2m variable and $2m amortizing fixed. So cutting the episode count either forces more to be spent per episode or forces fixed costs to take up a higher portion of the budget and results in even less money for variable costs(ie fx).

You can argue that cutting the episode count helps creatively, but from a budget perspective it's a disaster.
Yup, with more episodes, you can spread the cost of building additional sets CGI Models over more episodes (IE: with 20 episodes, if an additional set or CGI Model is going to cost you $1Million, you can spread that over all 20 episodes, only using up $50K of each episode's budget to build it. If it's spread over 10 episodes, that takes $100K out of each episode's budget)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:17 AM   #35
Crazyewok
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Fewer episodes doesn't mean more money. Where do people get this idea from?

i.e. If a show costs say US$4m per episode, then a 20 episode season would have a budget of US$80m, converesly a 10 episode season would have a budget of US$40m

But if you wanted a larger budget per episode it would be more easy to sell.

If a low number of high budgetr episodes would pull in far more rateings than loads of low budget episodes then make sense to go for the former.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:19 AM   #36
Crazyewok
Commander

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
As others have said, a British shorter season won't necessarily work for a US show.
Worked for game of thrones
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 01:23 AM   #37
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
As others have said, a British shorter season won't necessarily work for a US show.
Yes, but that's a specific cable show, like The Sopranos etc, where shorter seasons are the norm (6-13 episodes).

TPTB if producing a Trek show would want it mainstream and that means the standard 22-26 episode run, like most ABC/CBS dramas, to wring as many advertising $$$ as they can get from it, as they get nothing from people paying a subscription to watch it.

Trek would also need a lot more money in set-dressing, as whereas something like Game of Thrones can film on location, Trek would by it's nature be unable to get away with Stargate SG1's "Which planet does this Canadian forest represent this week?" attitude.
Old July 4 2013, 12:25 AM   #38
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post

I think Star Trek would be a perfect fit for that style of show. Plus fewer episodes mean larger effects budgets.
Or just put more thought and depth into some episodes and you have the same budget. trek has a lot of thinking man's episodes.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 12:40 AM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

Yes, but that's a specific cable show, like The Sopranos etc, where shorter seasons are the norm (6-13 episodes).

TPTB if producing a Trek show would want it mainstream and that means the standard 22-26 episode run, like most ABC/CBS dramas, to wring as many advertising $$$ as they can get from it, as they get nothing from people paying a subscription to watch it.

Trek would also need a lot more money in set-dressing, as whereas something like Game of Thrones can film on location, Trek would by it's nature be unable to get away with Stargate SG1's "Which planet does this Canadian forest represent this week?" attitude.
Didn't they already try that in ST though with Vasquez Rocks, it represent a lot of planets in it's various appreances TOS, TNG, VOY, ENT, ST (2009),
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:30 AM   #40
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
The why not go the cable route?
Why not indeed ? But I think CBS would rather the show air on its network. I might be wrong about that.
CBS itself would be the last place a new Trek series would ever be. It's the #1 US TV network with shows that are cheaper, easier to produce, and have broader appeal (bigger audience) than Trek does.
Perhaps Showtime? Isn't it owned by CBS? Has a long history of science fiction shows but hasn't had any in a while, maybe the time is ripe.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 01:24 PM   #41
Infern0
Captain

A British Star Trek would be horrible, and i'm a brit. There is no way enough money would be put in to make it look and feel legit, it'd be like Doctor Who, mickey mouse special effects and all.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 04:05 PM   #42
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Well, a shorter summer "miniseries" season seems to be working for CBS with Under the Dome. I've heard speculation that it's success may lead to the format being used for other shows in the future. Why not Trek?

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Iamnotspock
Captain

Infern0 wrote: View Post
A British Star Trek would be horrible, and i'm a brit. There is no way enough money would be put in to make it look and feel legit, it'd be like Doctor Who, mickey mouse special effects and all.
You haven't seen Who for a few years have you.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 11:00 AM   #44
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post

Why not indeed ? But I think CBS would rather the show air on its network. I might be wrong about that.
CBS itself would be the last place a new Trek series would ever be. It's the #1 US TV network with shows that are cheaper, easier to produce, and have broader appeal (bigger audience) than Trek does.
Perhaps Showtime? Isn't it owned by CBS? Has a long history of science fiction shows but hasn't had any in a while, maybe the time is ripe.
I think there are pros and cons to moving Trek to premium cable, namely with it becoming a Showtime exclusive and less visible to mainstream audiences (and thus smaller as an overall franchise).
Old July 11 2013, 05:01 AM   #45
Garppo
Cadet

I thought Elementary was far superior to Sherlock. But that's besides the point, sort of. If the BBC were to make Trek then it would be in mind to sell to the Americans - so you'd have to expect lots of Jack the Ripper based episodes as well as ones set in country estates.
Garppo is offline   Reply With Quote