IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 23 2013, 10:55 PM   #331
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Fantastic work! I really like the idea of mission specific swapable components on the craft. This, in turn, would make it have more value as a craft attached to a starship and/or starbase. The craft could be used for different missions that needed it for a specific purpose. Once again, fantastic work!
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:35 AM   #332
Warped9
Admiral

Here's the exterior. Stay tuned for a bit of the interior.

Old June 24 2013, 05:42 AM   #333
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Wow, I truly love the detail and this shuttle looks like we would see it in the show, great work. What would really be cool, would be to see some of the components that could be attached to the craft and their specific purpose. This would add to more of the realism of the craft and its capabilities. Once again, great work!
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:26 AM   #334
Warped9
Admiral

Here is the basic interior (looking forward). What's missing is the access hatch on the left, but I also don't plan on putting too much more detail into this. It's primarily to visualize a sense of scale and configuration. I admit I didn't study screencaps of the interior from TAS too much and went mostly my memory, but when I go for a bit more detail I'll look at them again more closely. The chairs are my variation of the TOS shuttlecraft chairs. They're proportionately a bit more narrow and definitely more high-backed---with the originals you really were at risk of serious whiplash.. These chairs are stylized, but I did try to keep something of a TOS look to them.

Old June 24 2013, 10:28 PM   #335
Kagan
Commodore

Great job! The TAS interior was quite "busy" IIRC. But that's what the imagination is for....
Old June 24 2013, 10:42 PM   #336
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Fantastic work. Well done indeed.

I always liked the varied TAS shuttles, they opened up whole new design ideas that we wouldn't see in TOS. They could have gone nuts, but they were not too out of place in the ST universe. If nothing else, they were interesting.

And now your work has brought them to life beyond what we got in TAS. Outstanding.

I like this particular shuttle. It always reminded me of a Gremlin. Considering the era, I suppose it's appropriate.

At the scale you've used, yes, it seems a bit on the small size as far as crew, perhaps only two persons. Only the center portion can accomodate people, the aft section lacks sufficient headroom. As far as the "hood" of the vehicle, I suppose mission equipment, certainly not passenger room.

I'm eager to see more great work on this...
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:45 AM   #337
Warped9
Admiral

A bit more detail to finish it off.

An X-ray and cross-section view.

I'm pretty much done with this one except for some photomanips I'd like to try. After that, hmmm...aquashuttle, pre TOS cruiser, 22nd century star clipper or something else...
Old June 25 2013, 01:11 AM   #338
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

pre-TOS cruiser? 22nd century star clipper? something else?

Sounds like some Sternbach Spaceflight Chronology ships to me...
Old June 25 2013, 01:14 AM   #339
Warped9
Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
pre-TOS cruiser? 22nd century star clipper? something else?

Sounds like some Sternbach Spaceflight Chronology ships to me...
Actually for years I've had this idea for an online reference that I call the Starflight Catalog from the Starfleet Command Library. These shuttlecraft will eventually be part of it.

You can see some of the things I mentioned here.
Old June 25 2013, 08:39 PM   #340
Warped9
Admiral

A never seen TOS scene.

It would be fun to put Harry Mudd and Christine Chapel in the image as well along with a large size dino of some kind. Hmm...
Old June 25 2013, 10:02 PM   #341
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

^^^I love it. Shows how TAS designs would have fit in quite well with TOS.
Old June 26 2013, 12:27 AM   #342
Warped9
Admiral

In some respects this might be the most departure from the original onscreen design primarily because I jettisoned the nacelles. The way I reason this craft being used those nacelles just don't make sense to me (though your mileage might vary). This is strictly a ship-to-surface and back vehicle meant for onsite survey of aquatic environments. It has only two drive systems: an antigrav system for flight and a hydro-drive for on-surface and below surface propulsion. While it can get into space it isn't meant to go very far such as traversing solar systems. Certainly with no stardrive it can't travel between star systems.

Like the heavy lander this craft is meant loaned out to starships for specific missions.
Old June 26 2013, 03:38 PM   #343
Warped9
Admiral

A beginning.

Old June 30 2013, 01:53 AM   #344
Warped9
Admiral

Believe it or not I was actually pretty far along with this until I looked at it and found myself...dissatisfied. So I trashed the whole thing and decided to start again from scratch with small alterations to my design as I had drawn it. I'm getting near to where I was before I trashed it and should have something decent to show soon.
Old June 30 2013, 03:58 PM   #345
Warped9
Admiral

Here's where things stand. I'm nearly at the same point I was before I started over again. The changes I made are subtle but noticeable overall. I wanted to soften some of the hard edges of this design, namely the roof and underbody edges which I think look better rounded off. They were rounded off before, but I thought they would look better by doubling the radius of those edges. I'm still not crazy about this design as an aquatic vehicle, but at least I can make what I felt were small concessions to something that looks even a bit more credible.

Eventually I'll get to the interior where I'm thing of doing something similar to what I did with the lander. I think I'll certainly use that chair design again.

On a side note I must admit there are a few other TAS designs I might tack a crack at sometime to try to adapt them into something we might have seen on TOS. We have to remember that if building a miniature from scratch the TOS guys could do some pretty elaborate things: the Enterprise, the Klingon battle cruiser, the Romulan warbird, Kara's ship (from "Spock's Brain") and the Galileo (especially the full-size mockup which was a lot more elaborate in detail than some might think). The TOS crew weren't lacking in imagination, but rather in time and money.