Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 24 2013, 04:16 PM   #2401
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
International gross is only about three million shy of domestic, BTW. When do you think it'll pass it - this week, next week?
Last week it made $5.5 million domestic and $12 million international. International should take the lead by the end of this week.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 24 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:26 PM   #2402
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Well it has better legs than some more recent movies like Epic, Gatsby and After Earth. I'm surprised Now You See Me is still that strong, however.
Old June 24 2013, 06:37 PM   #2403
RAMA
Vice Admiral

STID was sold to FX channel...ST09 made $30 million from it's sale, anyone want to bet STID made more?? Tack that on to the $430 million it's made already ($470-480 million)

RAMA
Old June 24 2013, 06:41 PM   #2404
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
STID was sold to FX channel...ST09 made $30 million from it's sale, anyone want to bet STID made more?? Tack that on to the $430 million it's made already ($470-480 million)

RAMA
Oh, I'm sure they've also made money on Product endorsements, that haven't been backed out of the Budget number being used. And, although there aren't a lot of toys, I'm sure what licensing they have allowed has also brought them in dollars that aren't reflected in what the movie is making.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:57 PM   #2405
Belz...
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
Pfft... are you trying to convince us that Trek isn't dead and that they're actually going to make another one ?
Old June 24 2013, 07:09 PM   #2406
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The amount FX pays for the TV rights is based on a percentage of domestic box office, so STID will make a little less than Star Trek, but it'll still be a good amount. The license fee FX pays is 10-12% of the ultimate domestic gross.

Edit to add: the weekend actual is $3,166,709 for $216,777,625 so far.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 24 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:30 PM   #2407
Galekarens
Commander

OK, what does someone here think of this article, says maybe Into Darkness isn't "enough of a hit" for Paramount (btw I loved STID, so do hope for another nuTrek movie, but fyi for reference in case anyone's interested): http://io9.com/whats-the-future-of-s...ness-510291083

PS BTW it's been pointed out to me that this article is from 5/29, but since we do know now that STID will not reach the domestic BO that ST2009 did (and supposedly "studios still care about domestic gross a lot"), perhaps the points brought up are still relevant, or at least something to consider.

Last edited by Galekarens; June 24 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Galekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:34 PM   #2408
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Galekarens wrote: View Post
OK, what does someone here think of this article, says maybe Into Darkness isn't a "big enough hit" for Paramount (btw I loved STID, so do hope for another nuTrek movie, but fyi for reference in case anyone's interested): http://io9.com/whats-the-future-of-s...ness-510291083
I really don't think they are going to change course after gaining so much in international markets where Trek has traditionally been weak.

Could they? Sure. But it doesn't make sense not to do a third film especially when pre-orders for the Blu-ray are through the roof.

I really think the film's struggles simply come down to timing.
Old June 24 2013, 10:48 PM   #2409
Vyse
Lieutenant

OK, what does someone here think of this article, says maybe Into Darkness isn't "enough of a hit" for Paramount (btw I loved STID, so do hope for another nuTrek movie, but fyi for reference in case anyone's interested): http://io9.com/whats-the-future-of-s...ness-510291083

PS BTW it's been pointed out to me that this article is from 5/29, but since we do know now that STID will not reach the domestic BO that ST2009 did, perhaps the points brought up are still relevant.
That author has it in for nuTrek, I wouldn't listen to her.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 10:54 PM   #2410
Harvey
Admiral

That article makes a lot of noise over nothing. The film will end up among the top ten domestic grossing films of the year and will have the highest international gross of a Star Trek film ever. In terms of overall box office, a Star Trek movie has never done better. A Bad Robot produced sequel is inevitable.

The same author also reviewed the movie with the headline "Star Trek Into Dumbness." In light of that, her latest article appears to be less analysis than wish fulfillment.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 11:03 PM   #2411
Galekarens
Commander

Ok, guys, thanks, but I just wondered if the author had some "professional" knowledge of how movies are considered "hits" or not, for example she wrote an article in 2011 called "How much money does a movie need to make to be profitable": http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-mone...-be-profitable. I do hope Paramount will want to make another Trek movie, especially for 2016.
Old June 24 2013, 11:09 PM   #2412
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ok, guys, thanks, but I just wondered if the author had some "professional" knowledge of how movies are considered "hits" or not, for example she wrote an article in 2011 called "How much money does a movie need to make to be profitable": http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-mone...-be-profitable. I do hope Paramount will want to make another Trek movie, especially for 2016.
Even if a film has to make double its budget to be successful, STID is already past that threshold (190*2=380 million, it's well over $400 million worldwide). Everything is pretty much gravy now.
Old June 24 2013, 11:13 PM   #2413
Vyse
Lieutenant

The original article is just the author whining basically. STID is a hit, though not quite as big a hit as Paramount was hoping for. The budget for the next one will probably be a bit less, and they will market the film differently. However, there will definitely be a third Bad Robot Trek film.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 11:13 PM   #2414
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

That article lays things out pretty well. STID will end up grossing about 2.5X its budget, which makes it a hit. Domestic box office is lower than the studio anticipated, but will still end up at a decent level and the worldwide box office represents a good return.
Old June 24 2013, 11:16 PM   #2415
Galekarens
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Even if a film has to make double its budget to be successful, STID is already past that threshold (190*2=380 million, it's well over $400 million worldwide). Everything is pretty much gravy now.
Well yeh, that's what I had heard, but even from the posts here I wonder if it's more complicated than that. It would seem that there should be another nuTrek movie, but until Paramount announces there will be one (and it's made), it's maybe not a given. PS sorry by the time I posted this, 2 more posts, well anyway, my original posting was fyi, so thanks for the feedback!