The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Vote away
Generations 24 19.05%
First Contact 7 5.56%
Insurrection 37 29.37%
Nemesis 58 46.03%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 24 2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Infern0
Captain

What is your least favourite TNG film

And why?

For me, it would be insurrection.

I just found it to be incredibly boring, I think most people will pick Nemesis but I found that to be at least mildly entertaining at times.

The only forgivable thing about Insurrection is the hot Trill who gives Riker the eyes.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Re: What is your least favourite TNG film

Insurrection is also my least favorite. Out of the four TNG films it's the one where the story is way too heavy on the guest aliens (Bak'u and Son'a) and is least impactful on the core group of characters from the show. Generations, First Contact and Nemesis all had major events that affected the TNG crew's lives and that's what I want to see when paying to go to the theater. By the end of Insurrection even the insurrection was tame.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
dub
Fleet Captain

I also chose Insurrection. While I didn't hate it, to me it felt like a TNG script adapted and elongated for the big screen. I think it's a decent story idea and would have worked fine as a television episode or possibly a 2-parter. It may have even been a fan-favorite if it were one of the episodes. But it just didn't work as well to me on the big screen as the other films did.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
TrekAlliance92
Captain

My vote would go for Generations. Don't get me wrong, it had some great moments: the entire Enterprise-B opening, for example. But, some decisions to "break the normal" as explained by the writers led to odd decisions like replacing a battle with the Romulans with the pointless naval promotion scene, Kirk making eggs with Picard and the whole Nexus Christmas scenes. It was really a mixed bag, and overall, not very satisfying.
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Belz...
Fleet Captain

To me, insurrection was everything TNG was, so it's actually my favourite of the lot, and I have to credit Generations for at least trying to make an intriguing story work. First Contact is an ok sci-fi action flick, but Nemesis is just poorly conceived. There was potential there, but it's just an awful execution. The big battle is the only positive point of the movie.
Old June 24 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Nemesis, because it was the prime continuity committing suicide. Watching it in the theater was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. And then it flopped.
Old June 24 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Third Nacelle
Captain

Nemesis. I agree with the OP that it was boring. A clone of Picard becoming Praetor of the Romulan Empire caused my suspension of disbelief to snap. Data's death seemed unnecessary, and having B4 there as a built-in reset made Data's death feel hollow. The ending was melancholy and wistful, when it should have ended on an optimistic note.

All in all, if the storyline were tweaked a little, it could have been a better movie somewhere in the middle of TNG's film run, but it was awful as a sendoff.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:03 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Easily Insurrection.

It felt like it was spawned because Rick Berman or another Paramount executive got their McMansion bulldozed in favor of a strip mall.
Old June 24 2013, 06:54 PM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral

They all suck. As such, I loathe them all equally.
Old June 24 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Nemesis, because it was the prime continuity committing suicide. Watching it in the theater was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. And then it flopped.
I didn't even get to see it in theatres because it didn't show in my area ! That's when I knew it was in trouble.
Old June 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Relayer1
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They all suck. As such, I loathe them all equally.
To a point. Generations was worse than the rest and First Contact better than the others.

They were all pretty poor though - not a patch on the series...
Old June 24 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Mage
Commodore

Nemesis for me. And not that I hate it or anything, but to many moments that were just to plain stupid or weird.

I really love Insurrection actually. More Trek then any other TNG film if you ask me.
Old June 24 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

For me, it's First Contact. Loved the opening part with the Battle of Sector 001, but the sudden switch to a time travel story really blows it for me. I think they missed an opportunity to do a big-scale, galaxy-spanning story that would have made "Best of Both Worlds" look tame in comparison, IMO (for those who have read the post-TNG novels, we ultimately got that with the Destiny trilogy).
Old June 24 2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Belz...
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For me, it's First Contact. Loved the opening part with the Battle of Sector 001, but the sudden switch to a time travel story really blows it for me. I think they missed an opportunity to do a big-scale, galaxy-spanning story that would have made "Best of Both Worlds" look tame in comparison, IMO (for those who have read the post-TNG novels, we ultimately got that with the Destiny trilogy).
I agree with you, there. There's also the glaring plot holes I discussed before. It's a mess. Entertaining, but that's about it.
Old June 24 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I voted for Nemesis. So many errors, plot holes, and weak elements in it to forgive.

Of the others, I actually quite like Generations though always see it more as a TNG TV Movie than a feature film. First Contact is one of my favourite Trek films ever made. Insurrection is pretty lame, but it at least has some development and makes sense--plus it also gave us the great looking Son'a ships.