Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 17 2013, 11:39 PM   #91
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

If only I could win publiusr's clearing house...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:27 PM   #92
Trek Survivor
Captain

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
Hopefully, if I had my way, they'd end up doing way more than the 70+ and the series would just continue on ad infinitum.
If it sells, it will go beyond the original number. Eaglemoss' Marvel Figurine Collection was originally slated to go for 60 issues. Including unnumbered specials, it went to over 200!
Old June 18 2013, 11:54 PM   #93
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Today's news was just a screen shot (feat. the Prometheus) to show how they take the 3D file, compare it to the CG model, and then go to the tooling of the actual model. Link in my Sig.

Editor's Note: I think the fact t hat that they are using the actual 3D CG model files of these ships (where available) to make the final die-case/plastic models is what is gonna set this collection apart from a lot of the others, in that they'll probably be a bit more accurate than others.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 12:06 AM   #94
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Agreed. It sounds like they'll be limited only as much as the resolution of the 3d printers they're using to make the masters. Really excited about this. I just wish their customer database wasn't so flaky.
Old June 20 2013, 05:06 PM   #95
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Agreed. It sounds like they'll be limited only as much as the resolution of the 3d printers they're using to make the masters. Really excited about this. I just wish their customer database wasn't so flaky.
I'm really excited about these because they should be the most detailed ships ever released at their size.

I'm happy about the stands they are using too, won't have those giant holes in the bottom of the ships where stands usually plug into.
Old June 20 2013, 08:20 PM   #96
t_smitts
Commander

Actually, something just occurred to me.

3-D printers will surely come down in price in a couple of years to the point where can, if not buy one, perhaps rent one, or maybe go to a store and use one in the way people use printing and copying stores.

When that happens, I could see some fans creating high-resolution files of ships that you could download and then feed into a 3-D printer and have it make just about any ship or model (not just Star Trek) that you want.

The possibilities would be almost endless.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 12:23 AM   #97
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Yep...it's only a matter of time. I'm personally looking forward to printing a half-studio scale TOS battlestar someday. That would make me a very happy camper.
Old June 24 2013, 01:33 AM   #98
Kevman7987
Commander

Yep...it's only a matter of time. I'm personally looking forward to printing a half-studio scale TOS battlestar someday. That would make me a very happy camper.
I wouldn't make my ship models big. I find larger sized models harder to "play" with when I'm sitting at my desk. The Hot Wheels/Eaglemoss sizes are perfect for the amount of detail I like and the size I like.

I'd make myself the Earth ships from Stargate equally sized (which happens to be 1:1 scale) with the Hot Wheels TOS Enterprise.
Old June 24 2013, 02:53 PM   #99
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Heh...my aging eyes can't appreciate smaller models like they used to. For the past few years, I see folks talking about building 1:1000 and 1:2500 scale kits like it's a good thing, with the scales getting smaller and smaller, as I'm looking for scales at 1:500, 1:350 or bigger. Granted, the TOS G is the exception there, as it's supposed to be one nautical mile in length - so a 1:1000 probably would be around half-studio scale, which would suit me quite nicely.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; June 24 2013 at 07:46 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:16 PM   #100
Kevman7987
Commander

Heh...my aging eyes can't appreciate smaller models like they used to...
To each his own.
Old June 28 2013, 11:17 PM   #101
publiusr
Commodore

I'm the same way. I'm going to need glasses soon.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 04:19 PM   #102
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well, it's been six weeks since I received their answer from my initial question asking about American pre-order subscriptions.

I sent a follow-up email on Sunday to see if they got their database in order and, so far, have received no response. I find this odd, as they answered me quickly the first time I sent out an inquiry and were quite up front and truthful regarding their technical issues.

Has anyone who pre-ordered in America heard from them, either from a person or via an automated order confirmation?
Old July 30 2013, 07:39 PM   #103
Kevman7987
Commander

^I did receive an automated order confirmation from them after I pre-ordered a few weeks ago. Their facebook seems to show them going to a bunch of conventions to show off their product, they may just be too busy to respond. Their North American launch is supposed to be the beginning of October; I'd send them another email during September. If that one goes ignored, then it might be time to worry.

If you are on Facebook or Google+, you may want to send them a message through there.
Old July 30 2013, 07:45 PM   #104
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I don't have Facebook, but I do have Google+. Do you happen to know what their address is on that site?
Old July 30 2013, 08:00 PM   #105
MacLeod
Admiral

According to the facebook, the release is the 21st August for the UK with as yet unnamed Autumn date for the USA.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote