RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,936
Posts: 5,390,060
Members: 24,725
Currently online: 589
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 24 2013, 01:20 AM   #241
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post
I'd really like to know... Man of Steel was just an out and out bad film that not only had objective pacing issues and hamfisted writing, but betrayed the character so badly that I can't even say it was Superman.
That's a misuse of the word "objective."

It really was a great movie as far as I'm concerned, and certainly more tightly written than STID. Cavill's Clark/Superman is now my favorite, with a possible sentimental exception for George Reeves.

Look, it's just a fact that a lot more people around the world are familiar with and intrigued by Superman than by Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 01:30 AM   #242
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Kabraxal wrote: View Post
I'd really like to know... Man of Steel was just an out and out bad film that not only had objective pacing issues and hamfisted writing, but betrayed the character so badly that I can't even say it was Superman.
That's a misuse of the word "objective."

It really was a great movie as far as I'm concerned, and certainly more tightly written than STID. Cavill's Clark/Superman is now my favorite, with a possible sentimental exception for George Reeves.

Look, it's just a fact that a lot more people around the world are familiar with and intrigued by Superman than by Star Trek.
I just can't see how it is "tighter" or in any way better written than ST. I had so many issues all over from Zod and Jor-el, to the tornado scene, the flashbacks being fairly poorly intermixed into the pacing, the fight scene at the end, to the "he's hot" line. So many "huh?" moments with fairly bad dialogue and so many moments where suspension of disbelief is just utterly torn to shreds... it was not a well written movie at all.

Let's not even get into the Lois fiasco. That was the plot contriving ways to fit her in at most points and that was it. So not even close to being anywhere near as well written as Trek.

It is easily the worst iteration of Superman I have seen on TV or screen. Though, it might not have reached the depths of some of the comic iterations yet. It's gotten so bad in the comics that I have stopped reading them.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #243
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post
I'd really like to know... Man of Steel was just an out and out bad film that not only had objective pacing issues and hamfisted writing, but betrayed the character so badly that I can't even say it was Superman.
To me, Man of Steel was a fine, fun movie with some good storytelling and the best Superman character so far. YMMV, as we say. I mean, in Superman II he flat-out murders Zod for no reason. At least here he had little choice, and he couldn't just stop the battle to save individual people caught in the cross-fire.

Iron Man... eh, big fun popcorn flick.
Yeah. Fun and good, but not one for the history books, unlike the first one.

Star Trek has an intellectual aura about it thanks to the series and then will never truly be as huge as a movie that, might be well written, but is all about the popcorn experience.
Not sure I follow you. Movies are, by their nature, and on average, more action-oriented than novels, comics, series and plays.

Still doesn't refute the simple nature that Star Trek is the better film of the three.
Let's agree on that.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 01:56 AM   #244
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Man of Steel definitely had less 'WTF?' moments plot-wise than Into Darkness.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:01 AM   #245
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post
I just can't see how it is "tighter" or in any way better written than ST.
I think its script was better structured, and raised fewer questions (such as Marcus' exact plan, or how Khan fits into all this, which we've been discussing here.)

the "he's hot" line.
Really ? That's a problem with the plot ?

so many moments where suspension of disbelief is just utterly torn to shreds...
In a superhero movie ? Get out !

it was not a well written movie at all.
This just serves to show that even technical aspects of the production are up to subjective interpretation. There's no objective way to judge a movie except by its short- and long-term success.

Let's not even get into the Lois fiasco. That was the plot contriving ways to fit her in at most points and that was it.
I can think of Khan and Carol Marcus as STID characters that were not entirely justified and forced into the story at some points.

It is easily the worst iteration of Superman I have seen on TV or screen.
I take it you haven't seen the one with Richard Pryor...
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:13 AM   #246
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Belz... wrote: View Post
Kabraxal wrote: View Post
I just can't see how it is "tighter" or in any way better written than ST.
I think its script was better structured, and raised fewer questions (such as Marcus' exact plan, or how Khan fits into all this, which we've been discussing here.)

the "he's hot" line.
Really ? That's a problem with the plot ?



In a superhero movie ? Get out !



This just serves to show that even technical aspects of the production are up to subjective interpretation. There's no objective way to judge a movie except by its short- and long-term success.

Let's not even get into the Lois fiasco. That was the plot contriving ways to fit her in at most points and that was it.
I can think of Khan and Carol Marcus as STID characters that were not entirely justified and forced into the story at some points.

It is easily the worst iteration of Superman I have seen on TV or screen.
I take it you haven't seen the one with Richard Pryor...
I actually like all the previous entries, even Returns. As for the "hot" line that was just icing on the cake so to speak... without the horrid tornado scene, Lois magically being where she needs to be for no reason other than the plot called for it, the whole final fight that completely removed me from the movie, all the way to THAT scene.. it was constant jarring sequences for me.

Also.. in Superman II he actually doesn't kill Zod. They cut the scene in the theatrical release but it was supposed to show that they were basically being confined back into the Phantom Zone.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:18 AM   #247
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post
Also.. in Superman II he actually doesn't kill Zod. They cut the scene in the theatrical release but it was supposed to show that they were basically being confined back into the Phantom Zone.
So he doesn't kill Zod in a cut of the movie that wasn't released in theatres ? Yeah, I'm talking about the theatrical release, sir. Don't tell me he doesn't kill Zod. He crushes his hand and kills him although he is now completely harmless. He falls to his death. Then Lois kills Ursa and all Supes does is smile, as though premeditated murder is funny.

So, please, don't talk about Man of Steel betraying the titular character.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:25 AM   #248
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

BillJ wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Really, the need to come to the Abrams forum to big up TOS in the face of nuTrek's success could be as easily and accurately described as "insecure.". It's a meaningless, vapid claim.
There does seem to be an excessive amount of tilting and windmills.
My favorite complaint about the Abrams films is from one poster (who I shall not name) who complained about the E-surance ads, saying Star Trek had never done such blatant promotional ads before.
Don't forget the person who insisted that the "real" James Kirk would never indulge in casual sex--and that Gene Roddenberry would have never stooped to including sex appeal and skimpy costumes in STAR TREK!

I admit my jaw dropped at that one. Had they even watched TOS?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:27 AM   #249
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Belz... wrote: View Post
Kabraxal wrote: View Post
Also.. in Superman II he actually doesn't kill Zod. They cut the scene in the theatrical release but it was supposed to show that they were basically being confined back into the Phantom Zone.
So he doesn't kill Zod in a cut of the movie that wasn't released in theatres ? Yeah, I'm talking about the theatrical release, sir. Don't tell me he doesn't kill Zod. He crushes his hand and kills him although he is now completely harmless. He falls to his death. Then Lois kills Ursa and all Supes does is smile, as though premeditated murder is funny.

So, please, don't talk about Man of Steel betraying the titular character.
Except it was added into the DOnner cut. And even taking that into account, Superman II showed him actually concerned with people in the fight in the city... unlike this one that shows He and Zod probably killing thousands as they fight.

Sorry if I went into MoS expecting to love it and coming out hating it and hoping for a new reboot... I would rather have enjoyed the movie instead of being disgusted by it. Believe me. I waited 7 years for another Superman film and now I have to wait longer for a good one. Maybe the sequel will get better... certainly can't get worse to me personally.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:32 AM   #250
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post
Except it was added into the DOnner cut.
Yeah, but you don't get to ignore one of two cuts (the most well-known one) and then say he didn't kill him. He did so with a smile. And then he goes back to the diner and kicks the trucker's ass in revenge. That's not the Superman I know from the comics.

And even taking that into account, Superman II showed him actually concerned with people in the fight in the city...
"Don't do it ! The people !"

unlike this one that shows He and Zod probably killing thousands as they fight.
Apples to oranges. First, did you spot the spaceship that almost flattened Metropolis ? That did most of the damage, I'd think. Second, the battle is way more brutal. In II, the Kryptonians were trying to kill Superman. In MoS, Zod was trying to kill humans.

Sorry if I went into MoS expecting to love it and coming out hating it and hoping for a new reboot... I would rather have enjoyed the movie instead of being disgusted by it. Believe me.
I believe you. Wouldn't we all want to love all the movies we see ?

It's unfortunate you didn't like it, but like with STID, I don't appreciate when people pretend that something X that a new movie did is somehow different from the X that a previous entry of the same franchise did; an entry they happen to like. I think it's important to keep perspective.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:37 AM   #251
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Kabraxal wrote: View Post

It is easily the worst iteration of Superman I have seen on TV or screen. Though, it might not have reached the depths of some of the comic iterations yet. It's gotten so bad in the comics that I have stopped reading them.
Whoa. I'm biased, of course, but are you seriously saying that Superman III, Superman Returns, and, holy god, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace were better movies?

The mind boggles . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 24 2013 at 02:55 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 03:06 AM   #252
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Returns wasn't too bad. It was too much of a homage to I and II to be worth a sequel, but I liked it, and Spacey as Luthor.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 03:15 AM   #253
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Kabraxal wrote: View Post

It is easily the worst iteration of Superman I have seen on TV or screen. Though, it might not have reached the depths of some of the comic iterations yet. It's gotten so bad in the comics that I have stopped reading them.
Whoa. I'm biased, of course, but are you seriously saying that Superman III, Superman Returns, and, holy god, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace were better movies?

The mind boggles . . . .
My list is pretty much II, I, Returns, III, IV, and MoS. The older serials were good, though definitely dated. MoS just never felt like a real Superman movie while I was watching it.

Belz... wrote: View Post
Kabraxal wrote: View Post
Except it was added into the DOnner cut.
Yeah, but you don't get to ignore one of two cuts (the most well-known one) and then say he didn't kill him. He did so with a smile. And then he goes back to the diner and kicks the trucker's ass in revenge. That's not the Superman I know from the comics.

And even taking that into account, Superman II showed him actually concerned with people in the fight in the city...
"Don't do it ! The people !"

unlike this one that shows He and Zod probably killing thousands as they fight.
Apples to oranges. First, did you spot the spaceship that almost flattened Metropolis ? That did most of the damage, I'd think. Second, the battle is way more brutal. In II, the Kryptonians were trying to kill Superman. In MoS, Zod was trying to kill humans.

Sorry if I went into MoS expecting to love it and coming out hating it and hoping for a new reboot... I would rather have enjoyed the movie instead of being disgusted by it. Believe me.
I believe you. Wouldn't we all want to love all the movies we see ?

It's unfortunate you didn't like it, but like with STID, I don't appreciate when people pretend that something X that a new movie did is somehow different from the X that a previous entry of the same franchise did; an entry they happen to like. I think it's important to keep perspective.
I think I came at II and that scene with a perception that he didn't kill them. Even before I saw Donner's cut I never believed he had outright killed Zod for some reason. Course I was like 7 when I first saw it

As for the trucker scene.. yeah, I'll give that one. It was a bit odd that he didn't let it be. Didn't really understand it.

I also think what hurts MoS is that Smallville did the origin story already and had done it for 10 years just before this movie came out essentially... and really did it better. I could by the angstier levels and the struggle of becoming Superman. I think MoS really probably lost me when they had him be so conflicted after donning the suit. In every other Superman story, when he takes the suit.. he is beyond that struggle to realise who he is and what he does.

In MoS, that understanding comes... maybe... at the end of the film, when he's had the suit for a while already. Just doesn't fit the mythology. And Superman is one of the few characters I just give very little leeway for messing with... he's the ideal. The Boy Scout. He should never be anything less and I just felt MoS didn't truly understand that.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 03:56 AM   #254
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

If we're getting nostalgic, I remember being very disappointed with SUPERMAN II when it first came out because of all the slapstick comedy Lester added--and the way the movie softened Zod and Co. The first movie did an effective job of building up Zod and Ursa and Non as genuinely scary threats. Heck, we're told that Ursa actually murdered children back on Krypton (a line that was conspicuously deleted from the flashback to their trial in SUPERMAN II). After Hackman's comedic take on Luthor, I was looking forward to seeing Superman take on some truly menacing super-villains.

Alas, while the sequel still had it moments, there was also lots of campy silliness with super-breath, expandable Superman logos made out of Saran wrap, and memory-erasing kisses.

Which, to be fair, probably works when you're seven, but I was in college at the time and hoping for something a little more serious!

I felt like the new movie finally gave me the all-out battle between Superman and Zod that I've been waiting for since 1978 . . ..
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 24 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:18 AM   #255
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

*starts humming Superman theme*
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.